10 Academic Casualties

JacksonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've got a question for the board:

Did the 10 guys we lost for the season just not make the grades to be eligible or did they flunk out of school? Or is it a mixture of both? The AUC is talking about Malone flunking out of school, is he one of the guys you've seen on another teams roster already?

When I first heard the news, I assumed their GPAs just fell below the minimum and they'd have to sit out a year until they got their grades up.

From what I have read, they all flunked completely out of school. I don't know if this was the case for all of them, but I do know for a fact that Tony Hollings, Malone, and Kingi McNair all are completely out of school.

Gailey's comments about the 10 were when this broke in the AJC were "I hope that they all do what is necessary to get back in school and get back on the team" which makes you think that all 10 are completely out.

One thing about that though...when I was there, my best friend screwed around one quarter and flunked every course but his Basketball class in PE...he made a 0.67 that quarter. But that didn't get him kicked out, he was only put on Academic Probation for the next quarter. Has that changed since they went the semester system?

when i got the boot...

decent 1st quarter, made a 2.5 without much work. then i was cocky and stayed drunk all winter quarter, got a .4 and was put on probation.

in spring, i stayed drunk, took 2 pe's, and got a 1.5(got screwed on party dy, 67 avg and had a higher grade than 75% of the folks on grades list) and my pe's didnt count as grades. just got a satisfactory in them.

then, i went to west ga, stayed drunk, and graduated!
wink.gif

Yeah, but that's my point. To get kicked all the way out of school, you have to flunk every class. Academic probation is still in school...with the opportunity to do better the next semester and get off probation.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Be surprised if you see any one of the 10 return.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">would that surprise be like the surprise you got when you found out that the stadium has been expanded?

no .. that would be more like shock. i'm sure you broke out crying when you saw the expanded bds.

rumor is that we'll get 3 back in the white and gold

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">would that surprise be like the surprise you got when you found out that the stadium has been expanded?

no .. that would be more like shock. i'm sure you broke out crying when you saw the expanded bds.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Get a life. He wasn't talking to you, nor was he making a statement about Gailey. Just like Ahso, you want to prove that it takes "two to tango".

It is a new football season. Ignore those you disagree with, and they can't argue with you. It is a simple concept that escapes the young and old alike. You junk up this board as much as anyone. You have much to learn rookie.

Originally posted by JacksonJacket:
When I first heard the news, I assumed their GPAs just fell below the minimum and they'd have to sit out a year until they got their grades up.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Its not just a matter of sitting out a year. You have to go to another school for a year usually to demonstrate that you have refocused on academics. And then you can come back if you have gotten some decent grades.

Its hard enough for regular students to do since it requires a lot of motivation, nearly impossible for SAs. Thats why kids who flunk out never come back.

I think "flunk out" is confused with "lost eligibility"
alot for student athletes. They probably flunked
off the team but not out of school completely.

As YLO said, there is scuttlebutt floating around
that three of the guys have a good shot at being
back on the team next Spring.

Oh yeah...I joined the Square Root Club my second
quarter at Tech with a 0.7 GPA.

Let's hope that we do get three guys back, maybe even more! Could serve as a good lesson for the incoming freshmen that books are important too.

Jimbob, I haven't heard of a process like you described before. Like a couple of people have already posted - Academic probation is the first step and I believe the NCAA requires that SA's take a certain number of hours per quarter/semester and be in good standing. I for one am hoping that they are just exchanging flunking out and lost eligibility like Cracker said.

Yes, if they're still in school, all they have to do is merely pass all of their classes the next quarter/semester to be removed from academic probation (that's what my friend did). As far as the NCAA is concerned, there is a specific number of hours that a SA must have passed the previous semester. I don't know the number now that they have moved to the semester system, but it was previously 12 when it was quarter hours.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Get a life. He wasn't talking to you, nor was he making a statement about Gailey. Just like Ahso, you want to prove that it takes "two to tango".

It is a new football season. Ignore those you disagree with, and they can't argue with you. It is a simple concept that escapes the young and old alike. You junk up this board as much as anyone. You have much to learn rookie.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i don't know what you're preaching but you need to practice it.

*you* get a life. you're telling people to stop exactly what you're doing. didn't you just junk up the board by telling me that i'm junking the board?

if you're not a rookie .. you're horrible at being experienced.

if bobby dodd's ghost and i are in a tango .. what the hell are you doing? cutting in? three is a crowd .. get freaking lost.

who the hell made you the janitor of stingtalk?

i agree with your statement that i have much to learn. i also agree that i'm a rookie. but i won't waste my time trying to learn anything from you.

what will i learn from you? that i should make pledges to the GTAA and then plan to renege on them later?

what a great lesson!

you have much to learn yourself. don't be so impudent going around calling people rookies. just because you've been around tech football longer doesn't necessarily mean that you're better or have more of a right to opine or whatever you're implying by calling me a rookie.

Back