swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
The best ever. Never ever have I seen a guy like that flash in the pan though. So the problem is over 12 games and the grind how would he look. But from a pure speed, ridiculous, explosive standpoint I can't remember anything close.

Sucks he blew his knee out. He was a first round pick. I talked to chan and he said we lost 2 wins that year at least due to that injury. He also said he was one of his best RB. Chan knew RB. He always had a good run game so I will give his opinion credit there
And yet Chan stuck him back in a game that was already well in hand. Should have stuck a fourth or fifth stringer, a walk-on, anyone in there if no one else was available. Hollings was killing people up to that point.
I saw Hollings play in high school. Played QB at Twiggs and was just a man among boys.

And I think Jaybo was bigger than 5-10. I've stood eye to eye with him and I'm right at 6 foot. He dang sure played bigger than 5-10 at Southern. And right now Joe Theismann is yammering about his small prostate on TV. Where in hell has our civilization gone to?

brian22

Varsity Lurker
And yet Chan stuck him back in a game that was already well in hand. Should have stuck a fourth or fifth stringer, a walk-on, anyone in there if no one else was available. Hollings was killing people up to that point.
I saw Hollings play in high school. Played QB at Twiggs and was just a man among boys.

And I think Jaybo was bigger than 5-10. I've stood eye to eye with him and I'm right at 6 foot. He dang sure played bigger than 5-10 at Southern. And right now Joe Theismann is yammering about his small prostate on TV. Where in hell has our civilization gone to?
Oh please. People would have complained if the other team's comeback (and win) started with TH's exit.

You just never know.

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
this is such a myth...another one of those fan "blah blah blah" stories.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
I couldn't believe the quickness of JT coming down the line of scrimmage at the Spring game---incredible!

As for best ever RB, my vote is definitely ELI. TH's straight ahead speed was unmatched though.

gt2690b

PB time!

not sure what part your saying is a myth.. Hollings was dominating BYU.. AND.. he tweaked his knee yet chan left him in the game.. not necessarily chan's call but at the end of the day the guy with the big paycheck usually gets blamed

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
Pretty good pick up for a back up. Don't think he will see the field as a starter until RS-JR year at earliest. Tough to get guys who would be great QBs to commit right now with the massive Vad/JT hype train still being very young.
^^ This. We aren't quite to the level where we can keep 4 ridiculous QBs on the roster at once. VL/JT will probably scare some people off. Really one of our best selling points for elite recruits is "hey, come to us and there is a good chance, with hard work, that you can play as a Fr or So." We can't really do that at the QB position right now.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
And if Hollings made it through the year but missed on Heisman contention because he had played half a game 4-5 times you would be complaining all the same.

It's football. Freak stuff happens. To me, it's worth the practice and worth padding stats against other decent teams. It would be something else if he was playing in the fourth quarter against Furman.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
And yet Chan stuck him back in a game that was already well in hand.
Well in hand? We were down 19-14 in the fourth quarter when Hollings convinced the trainers he was good to go back in. He scored TWO more touchdowns to give us the lead at 28-19 before injuring his knee again.

buzztheirazz

Dodd-Like
JT is perhaps the best runner we have had at GT ever at any position...he can go the distance on any play and dance in the shower without getting wet....quicker than you can imagine.
I saw that at one point during the spring game. It was a somewhat busted play, he was scrambling towards the east stands and directly at me. He took it so deep and wide that he had to make a move just to avoid a coach (who probly shat himself!) that was hangin back in the cut. He was going incredibly fast and I thought he was going to run right into him but he just s dropped his feet in the ground(reminded me of the AndOne bball logo) and made the cut and just kept hauling ass.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
I saw that at one point during the spring game. It was a somewhat busted play, he was scrambling towards the east stands and directly at me. He took it so deep and wide that he had to make a move just to avoid a coach (who probly shat himself!) that was hangin back in the cut. He was going incredibly fast and I thought he was going to run right into him but he just s dropped his feet in the ground(reminded me of the AndOne bball logo) and made the cut and just kept hauling ass.
This is the play that I think of when I think of JT.

dressedcheeseside

Dodd-Like
Where JT is most impressive is when he weaves and cuts and drops jocks on the interior runs. He's so quick and elusive, it's just not fair.

swampsting

up two scores, ball at their 40, with under 4 minutes to go, Ace had already played some too that half and they hadn't had a first down in about 10 minutes. Yeah. Keep running Tony on a tweaked knee was the smart thing. Head coach is supposed to have the final say on who's in and who's on the sideline. Discretion would have been the better part of valor. I thought it was wrong then as I was watching it. Think it's wrong 11 years later.

GT98

Dodd-Like
Well in hand? We were down 19-14 in the fourth quarter when Hollings convinced the trainers he was good to go back in. He scored TWO more touchdowns to give us the lead at 28-19 before injuring his knee again.
Let's don't go interjecting facts into fuzzy memories.:lol:

Yeah, TH is one of the alltime woulda, coulda, shoulda stories in a GT uni. He's the best I've seen at GT for RB (yes, better than Lavette, I was too young to remember Eli).

swampsting

That aside, how good is shotgun gonna look with JT or Vad back there on a zone option, spreading out the defense with two wides and widening out the slots? I bet PJ finds a way to formation the defenses to give JT or Vad natural creases to run through.

gte490v

Dodd-Like
I liked this guy's film.

Showed touch on the deep ball and fade (aside from the 'chuck it deep' on the first pass).
Looks good running the ball.
Really liked the blocks he laid downfield to set up the TD for his RB.
A few good throws on the run.

How does 5A Alabama football compare to 3A North Carolina football?

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
I can't tell if he bails on the pocket early because his o line can't block or if it is reactionary to tuck and run.