H-town

Helluva Engineer
That aside, how good is shotgun gonna look with JT or Vad back there on a zone option, spreading out the defense with two wides and widening out the slots? I bet PJ finds a way to formation the defenses to give JT or Vad natural creases to run through.
This would be a great thing to see. However, I think it's like one of those offseason urban myths. Sort of like the "we'll pass more this year" statements. Cool stuff, but we never see it.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
This would be a great thing to see. However, I think it's like one of those offseason urban myths. Sort of like the "we'll pass more this year" statements. Cool stuff, but we never see it.
He should have said pistol instead of shotgun, but I disagree on your statement.

Pistol is now beyond 'myth'. We used it quite a bit with Vad at the Sun Bowl (about 10 plays, most of 1 TD drive). We also used it a lot in the Spring scrimmages.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
He should have said pistol instead of shotgun, but I disagree on your statement.

Pistol is now beyond 'myth'. We used it quite a bit with Vad at the Sun Bowl (about 10 plays, most of 1 TD drive). We also used it a lot in the Spring scrimmages.
We used it a good bit in practice (esp spring practice) last year too. I remember using it in games a bit, especially when Vad was in there. It's definitely beyond myth, but it won't be a staple of our offense. At most I think we'll probably run it 10-15 times a game.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-s...-fall-camp/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
We used it a good bit in practice (esp spring practice) last year too. I remember using it in games a bit, especially when Vad was in there. It's definitely beyond myth, but it won't be a staple of our offense. At most I think we'll probably run it 10-15 times a game.

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-s...-fall-camp/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports
I think the limitation was actually Tevin (not a knock on him, just wasn't his strength). I think we'll see a lot more pistol/shotgun this season with Vad/JT at the helm.

Legal Jacket

Dodd-Like
I think the limitation was actually Tevin (not a knock on him, just wasn't his strength). I think we'll see a lot more pistol/shotgun this season with Vad/JT at the helm.
I don't know if Tevin was the only limitation. Doesn't help that we don't have particular strong receivers or a decent pass block. Granted, the pistol probably helps the blocking a bit, but I think we are missing some necessary pieces toward being a pass happy offense. ABs are pretty spot on from a pass catching sense though.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
You are probably correct. The problem with the pistol/shotgun is that you lose some of the misdirection factor, because the defense can more easily watch the ball. When your offense is designed around keeping the other guys confused, that undermines your strategy. But the current QBs should be able to improve the passing game enough to make it a legitimate threat. The challenge will be to mix things up enough so the defense doesn't assume we're passing or running based on where the QB sets up.

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
You are probably correct. The problem with the pistol/shotgun is that you lose some of the misdirection factor, because the defense can more easily watch the ball. When your offense is designed around keeping the other guys confused, that undermines your strategy. But the current QBs should be able to improve the passing game enough to make it a legitimate threat. The challenge will be to mix things up enough so the defense doesn't assume we're passing or running based on where the QB sets up.
I really want to see us run rocket toss and triple option out of the pistol in order to support this idea. Right now from the pistol it's Vad scramble, pass, zone-read, in basically that order.

It'd also be nice if PJ would have the BB in 2 point stance whenever we are in the pistol. Couldn't hurt with recruiting stud running backs wanting to go to the NFL.

beej67

new around here
I really want to see us run rocket toss and triple option out of the pistol in order to support this idea.
I want to see us audible between formations after the defense lines up. We only really need to move two guys.

WreckRod

Dodd-Like
I want to see us audible between formations after the defense lines up. We only really need to move two guys.
LOL, not sure what it would really do to the defense, but if Vad audibles at the goal line and then the BB steps back into a 2 point stance, and Vad backs up into the pistol, EVERY GT fan watching at the game or on TV will react with

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
LOL, not sure what it would really do to the defense, but if Vad audibles at the goal line and then the BB steps back into a 2 point stance, and Vad backs up into the pistol, EVERY GT fan watching at the game or on TV will react with
On 4th down.

beej67

new around here
So will the opposing DC.