12-2 or Bust?

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
And only one of those local teams has managed to win.

Twice.

Don't get me wrong, I'd go (again), but I'd be surprised to see it happen.
People say that the CFA bowl would job us, but it hasn't happened in the last 17 years or so. The ONLY times we have been in position to get a CFA bowl (or better).....we got it.

EVERY YEAR we have managed to win over 7 games in the regular season we have received the CFA bowl or better. All this crap about getting jobbed at bowl time and Tech fans don't travel is just crap. Win more than 7 games and we're good.

augustabuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think a 2-loss GT team gets to a BCS bowl game over someone like a 2-loss Oregon/Oklahoma. (let me just make sure I've got #'s right)

NCG: Bama (for example purposes) vs OK State
Rose: Stanford vs. Ohio State (for example purposes and hopes)
Fiesta: Oklahoma vs. Boise State
Orange: ACC winner vs Big East
Sugar: LSU vs. Oregon

yeah I don't think it happens...
I see your Orange Bowl matchup frequently listed. However, using your example with LSU in the Sugar and OK in the Fiesta, the next pick will be the Orange Bowl and I doubt they would pick the Big East.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
I'll say it in case no one else does or will.

IMO, The ACC front office HATES us.
We get jobbed deliberately & repeatedly by ACC refs:
Boston College 2007,
UNC 2009
UNC 2011
Clemson 2011
and the list goes on & on.

Ken Seguira recently posted stats those prove that
GT is THE MOST penalized team in the ACC, year-in and year-out.

So, here's what I'll be looking for over the next few weeks.

IMO, GT will beat VPI and then beat Duke. That would leave VPI with
basically ZERO CHANCE of winning the Coastal.

UVA has MD, Duke, FSU, and VPI left. If UVA beats MD and Duke,
then we might just see the ACC refs "stick it" to FSU preserve Clemson’s division
lead and to try to insure a UVA win.

If UVA beats FSU, then the VPI-UVA game will determine
whether UVA or GT wins the Coastal.

And because Beamer despises GT, I would look for VPI to "give the game away"
to UVA (with or without the refs help) just to screw GT out of the ACC-CG.

If you havent figured it out already, the ACC CLEARLY DOES NOT WANT a
Clemson-GT ACC-CG .It wants a Clemson-VPI or Clemson-UVA ACC-CG.
And, I think that coming events WILL prove it out.

A key sign to watch: If the ACC crew/refs that ref-ed the Clemson-GT game,
ends up at the FSU-UVA game, and perhaps the VPI-UVA game.

Under this "screw GT" scenario, Clemson probably goes to the Orange Bowl,
UVA goes to the ChikFilA Bowl, FSU goes to the Gator Bowl(which the Gator
Bowl has demanded), Wake probably goes to the Music City Bowl,
and of course, GT get the screw job to El Paso.

We'll see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecutory_delusion

Vespid

Billy Jacks Illegitimate Son

Boston College 2007,
UNC 2009
UNC 2011
Clemson 2011

The gist is there, but that's not entirely correct. GT's ACC opponents are the LEAST penalized cumulatively...by a wide margin, when playing GT. IMHO, this points towards bias by the ACC refs even more so than the other way around.

It's easy to justify a high average infraction rate. But it's rather hard to defend as to why every ACC team suddenly has a low infraction rate compared to there average when they happen to play GT. And this is over an almost four year period. Not a small or isolated sample size.

I really think that should be pointed out to the Head of ACC officials in a formal manner. Facts are facts, and those are hard pass off as just happenstance.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner

Boston College 2007,
UNC 2009
UNC 2011
Clemson 2011

So, here's what I'll be looking for over the next few weeks.

IMO, GT will beat VPI and then beat Duke. That would leave VPI with
basically ZERO CHANCE of winning the Coastal.

UVA has MD, Duke, FSU, and VPI left. If UVA beats MD and Duke,
then we might just see the ACC refs "stick it" to FSU preserve Clemson’s division
lead and to try to insure a UVA win.

If UVA beats FSU, then the VPI-UVA game will determine
whether UVA or GT wins the Coastal.

And because Beamer despises GT, I would look for VPI to "give the game away"
to UVA (with or without the refs help) just to screw GT out of the ACC-CG.

If you havent figured it out already, the ACC CLEARLY DOES NOT WANT a
Clemson-GT ACC-CG .It wants a Clemson-VPI or Clemson-UVA ACC-CG.
And, I think that coming events WILL prove it out.

A key sign to watch: If the ACC crew/refs that ref-ed the Clemson-GT game,
ends up at the FSU-UVA game, and perhaps the VPI-UVA game.

Under this "screw GT" scenario, Clemson probably goes to the Orange Bowl,
UVA goes to the ChikFilA Bowl, FSU goes to the Gator Bowl(which the Gator
Bowl has demanded), Wake probably goes to the Music City Bowl,
and of course, GT get the screw job to El Paso.

We'll see.
:rotfl:

Normally I like to try to argue common sense when people get on the "ACC hates GT" bandwagon, but this one is so out there that all I can do is laugh.

Although I will point out one thing. Gator Bowl is SEC vs. Big X, so I find it a little odd that they are demanding FSU.

gtcu17

Dodd-Like
every fanbase swears that the refs are against their team. It's got to be the most idiotic rationale for a loss or poor performance second only to the "if we had only made such-and-such play we would have won" argument.

Refs are part of the game, and sometimes people get screwed. Do the refs miss calls in our games? Yes. Do they make sketchy calls against GT? Sure! But that doesn't mean there's a mass conspiracy against Georgia Tech. Nobody goes into the NCAA or ACC board room and says "okay guys, how can we f*** with GT?"

It happens everywhere, and there has to be a basis for the penalties they call. It's not like they're calling PI on a dive play... maybe GT really does commit more fouls than any other ACC team "year-in and year-out."

gtcompscientist

Dodd-Like
The gist is there, but that's not entirely correct. GT's ACC opponents are the LEAST penalized cumulatively...by a wide margin, when playing GT. IMHO, this points towards bias by the ACC refs even more so than the other way around.

It's easy to justify a high average infraction rate. But it's rather hard to defend as to why every ACC team suddenly has a low infraction rate compared to there average when they happen to play GT. And this is over an almost four year period. Not a small or isolated sample size.

I really think that should be pointed out to the Head of ACC officials in a formal manner. Facts are facts, and those are hard pass off as just happenstance.
This was discussed a little while ago, and part of it is that the most common penalties against opposing teams are on the defense during passing situations. You don't get a lot of Pass Interference, Roughing the Passer, etc if you aren't passing. A common penalty on running plays is Holding against the offense. So we get the short end of both sticks.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
I see your Orange Bowl matchup frequently listed. However, using your example with LSU in the Sugar and OK in the Fiesta, the next pick will be the Orange Bowl and I doubt they would pick the Big East.
Orange bowl gets the last pick this year and has to pick Big East champ.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
This was discussed a little while ago, and part of it is that the most common penalties against opposing teams are on the defense during passing situations. You don't get a lot of Pass Interference, Roughing the Passer, etc if you aren't passing. A common penalty on running plays is Holding against the offense. So we get the short end of both sticks.
This, the teams with the least penalized opponents each year correspond very closely to the teams with the least passing attempts. Before CPJ, we were pretty average on both fronts.

Vespid

Billy Jacks Illegitimate Son
This, the teams with the least penalized opponents each year correspond very closely to the teams with the least passing attempts. Before CPJ, we were pretty average on both fronts.
That's very interesting considering that the top two most frequent calls year in and year out are offensive fouls. It's probably more correlated to TOP and # of offensive plays per game than it is pass/run ratio. That would make sense because generally, I would think our opponents run less offensive plays than is there norm when playing us because we usually win the TOP by a significant margin. I guess a more telling stat would be penalties per play and see how that compared.