Jolly Good Fellow
Anthony Barnes #12

Class: RS Sophomore
Hometown: Cartersville, Ga.
High School: Cartersville
Height / Weight: 6-3 / 231
Position: Linebacker
Birthdate: 01/04/1986

Made an immediate impact last fall as a freshman... served as a part-time starter and a valuable member of the linebacker corps... split playing time in 2007 with Shane Bowen at one of the outside linebacker positions... a leading candidate to start this fall... has potential to be Tech's next in a long line of outstanding linebackers... performed well in the T-Day Game with four tackles including 1.5 sacks... came to Georgia Tech in January 2006 and redshirted that season as a true freshman.

Played in all 12 regular season games and started three times -- vs. Clemson, Maryland and Army... credited with 29 tackles including 20 solo efforts... recorded 6.0 tackles-for-loss and 1.5 sacks... recovered one fumble... had one quarterback hurry... had a sack for minus-13 yards in the season opener at Notre Dame (Sept. 1)... had six tackles at Virginia (Sept. 22)... recorded a career-high seven tackles including 1.5 TFL's vs. Clemson (Sept. 29)... recovered a fumble at Duke (Nov. 10)... had five tackles, including 2.5 tackles-for-loss, vs. Georgia (Nov. 24).

Redshirted as a true freshman.

High School
One of the top prospects in the Southeast . . . Tabbed to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Super Southern 100 and Scout.com Southeast Top 100 (No. 54) . . . Rated among the nation's Top 25 Athletes by Rivals.com . . . Honorable mention all-state selection (Class AAA) as a wide receiver by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution . . . As a senior, caught 47 passes for 782 yards and seven touchdowns while making 78 tackles and four interceptions on defense . . . Added 43 receptions for 532 yards and six touchdowns, along with 54 tckles, as a junior . . . Coached by Frank Barden at Cartersville High.

No. 19 overall prospect in Georgia (Rivals.com)
No. 19 linebacker in nation (Rivals.com)

PERSONAL
Full name is Anthony Tyrone Barnes . . . Nicknamed "AT" . . . Parents are Isaac and Celester Barnes . . . Born January 4, 1986 . . . Majoring in management.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
He looked great in the Clemson game last year...seemed to play with a lot of instinct in that one.

He didn't look so hot in the Georgia game last year...seemed to be THINKING about where he needed to be on the field a good bit.

This year's linebacking crew apparently has more freedom unlike Tenuta's scheme.

I really expect AT Barnes to be our best linebacker this year.

He's my BREAK OUT player on the defensive side of the ball if I had to choose. Burnett would be choice #2.

The Jacket

The Coat
AT Barnes will be a good one before he's gone. I think Burnett is going to flip the S position on it's ear this year, but AT Barnes will be one the better ones in the conference.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Burnett "broke out" last year...
I'll have to disagree. Chan only started him ONE game last year.

He only had 3 interceptions in the league. All we saw was POTENTIAL...what we didn't see was astounding results.

Vance Walker had a BREAK OUT year last season. Burnett was more borderline.

The Jacket

The Coat
I'll have to disagree. Chan only started him ONE game last year.

He only had 3 interceptions in the league. All we saw was POTENTIAL...what we didn't see was astounding results.

Vance Walker had a BREAK OUT year last season. Burnett was more borderline.
What he said.