12th game

gmoney32

Varsity Lurker
What do you guys think about adding a 12th game, and if you are for it, who would you want to play? Also,what do you think about the ACC protesting it because it would make the schedules too hard? (according to USA Today article). The sec and big 12 champs have faced the 13 game situation for several years now, and adding another does not seem to bother them. Thoughts?

With the expanded ACC, should we really schedule a another big time opponent in addition to UGAg and the other future OOC teams we have coming up (Notre Dame, Louisville, Army, etc.)?

I think we should have UGAg, another solid OOC opponent (like an Auburn, Bammer or Notre Dame), a midrange team from a major conf. (UConn / Ole Miss) OR a good team from a midmajor/indy (Army, Troy, Boise St), and a free win as the 12th opponent (not necessarily a D1-AA team).

Actually what I read from an article was that the ACC was against a permanent 12th game because it made the season too long and could be tough on the kids academically.

12th team ideas: AU, ND, Bama, UF (and be the complete State Champ of FL), Ole Miss (so I can catch a game over this way), UTenn

I'd like to know when the ACC and the NCAA started worrying about the kids? I can't imagine both of them turning down potential bucks.

I would go for an sec west school like ole miss ( heard it is beautiful on game day and not just the weather ) maybe ar kansas or the other bull pups.

I'd love to add a Big Ten/Big 12/ or Pac 10 team. We never get the chance to branch out much. I think adding an OSU, UM, UT, OU, USC, etc would be a great change up and a bigtime game to get up for. I would be all for playing some of the better teams from other parts of the conference, more national exposure wouldnt hurt either.

Wonder if there is much in the way of additional dollars for a 12th game? Would the tv contracts contain a kicker for another game, or would it have to be renegotiated by each conference?

i cant resist this thread, when i am called on the carpet for expecting 8 wins and hearing all of the excuses on this board about the new acc and our tough schedule, now i hear we need to schedule , fla, ala, tenn , big 10 notre dame. GO FIGURE.

[ QUOTE ]
i cant resist this thread, when i am called on the carpet for expecting 8 wins and hearing all of the excuses on this board about the new acc and our tough schedule, now i hear we need to schedule , fla, ala, tenn , big 10 notre dame. GO FIGURE.

[/ QUOTE ]I actually agree with TML for once. GT is different from most teams in that our major rival is in a different conference so we already have a tough 9 game schedule. It's nice to say that we'd like 3 additional tough OOC games but it is worth the price of getting bumped down a notch when it comes to bowl selection by an NC State, UVA, or Maryland who typically play crappy OOC schedules (but they're teams that we normally beat in head-to-head situations)?

Okay, add Southern Miss to my list. They have repeatedly contacted us about playing and we've turned them down. This would fall under 'respectable team from a mid-major conference'.

I was never someone who had a problem with expecting 8 wins. I guarantee you as a player we always expected at least 8 wins. When we didnt get there we were very disappointed. That said I think it would be great to play a different big-time program. Obviously next years schedule is tough enough, but down the road I'd have no problem risking it a little and playing one of the real BIG BOYS( UM, USC, OSU, UT, OU, etc.) from other areas.

Also, as a player I would really want the opportunity to play one of those top programs we never play. It would be a great thing to tell your kids about when you get older. I am not going to spend a great deal of time talking about us beating up on Samford, Uconn, Navy, etc. Sure you may lose but that is something you will remember forever and playing the best only makes you better.

My expectations year in and year out is 11 wins, but you know the difference between you and me is that I am realistic.

We as players fight our ass off for 11 wins but it don't happen and you know what we don't go around blaming coaches or other people, we took responsibility ourselves. it would be easy for me to say our fans suck because it was only 50/50 in the stands but we don't. I played when just about every home game was 50/50 fans,( auburn, UT, Clemson, UNC, UGA and alabama. You never heard us once bitch becauese the stadium was divided 50/50. We back in the 80's loved and respeceted our fans and still do today!!!!

but for some reason that's not good enough today.

I miss the AU & UT series but I'd also like to see ND on a regular basis. I know that's asking for punishment but more times than not it would be a big game and good for recruiting.

I dont know if I would call it 9 tough opponents. Including UGA, would call Miami, VT, NC State, and Virginia tough, with possible inclusion of Clemson (depending on which week you play them- just too inconsistent to tell). Would not call Wake Forest, Duke or NC a tough opponent. Overall, not an easy schedule by any means. Just taking issue with calling it 9 tough games.

Well GMoney, I'd sure call all those tough except for NCState, all those you named have taken us to the wood shed at least once in the last 3 years. I would like to see us add Bama or Aubum, provided we play them in B'ham and then home/Ga dome. Not to play them in either Tuscaloosa, or Auburn. Crowds would be great in B'ham/Atlanta for either game

I like the 12 games because it makes it easier to insure six and maybe seven home games. It doesn't lengthen the season so much as it reduces the number of off weeks from two to one.
I like the four non-ACC games to be:
1. UGA
2. A real easy home game early in the year
3. An SEC team signed up for a home and home - The Cocks,
Gators, Auburn, Vandy, Ole Miss, Kentucky, UT, Bama,
LSU - all would be fun to play once at home and once
on the road every ten years or so.
4. Home and home with some intersectional teams that are
good road trips for fans and make sense - Navy, Army,
Tulane when the SEC opponent from the above group is
tough, perhaps Notre Dame, Syracuse, Michigan State,
or a Texas A&M when the SEC team from the group above
is a lighter challenge.
That would be a fun schedule year in and year out.

Personally, I'd love to have a chance against a Bama/Tenn/UF/AU every couple of years. Maybe a Big 12 school, no offense meant to Big 10 football... well, not a lot anyways, but we travel north far too much now, and will be even more so with BC/VT in the conference. I'd like to head out west a bit and go after an SEC-West or a Texas school (any of them but baylor anyways).

I think alternating between an SEC opponent and a Big 12 opponent would be appealing...Tech hasn't played a Big 12 school in what seems like awhile and I wouldn't mind seeing Tech play an A&M, Texas, Kansas State or Nebraska every now and then.

Re: I am dead set against...

a 12th game because it puts us and our kids at a distinct disadvantage. We recruit SA's with an interest in their education, challenge the hell out of them in the classroom, and expect them to have a game EVERY week during the season without a weekend to catch up is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. Having said that, if we do sell out to the money crowd, then we should schedule Auburn and Tennessee on an alternating basis because we have loads of alumni in these states, plus tons of tradition with them. There is too much bitterness with Alabama to schedule them, eg. Holt/Granning and Curry issues. And I have heard that Chan and Tommy are buddies, reminding me of Shug and Bobby, which makes Auburn a natural for ongoing games. And of course BD came from Tennessee. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Back