12th game

I would like us to play a Texas school in order to keep Chan's circulation up in that state. Rotating among A&M (my daughter's school--war in the family), Texas, Baylor, & Texas Tech (more war in the family) would be good to keep us moving around the state. Texas is the motherload for recruiting, and their academics require 4 years of science.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif

Interesting enough...Texas actually has played some ACC teams recently. They had a home and home with UNC in 2001-2002 and actually opened the season at home against NC State back in 1999. I think they also had a home and home with UVA back in the Mackovic days.

Of course for personal reasons (grew up in Texas and was a longhorn fan before enrolling at tech), I would like to see the two play...

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know if I would call it 9 tough opponents. Including UGA, would call Miami, VT, NC State, and Virginia tough, with possible inclusion of Clemson (depending on which week you play them- just too inconsistent to tell). Would not call Wake Forest, Duke or NC a tough opponent. Overall, not an easy schedule by any means. Just taking issue with calling it 9 tough games.

[/ QUOTE ]I would call them all tough because it's equally important to win them all. If you slip up against a D00k, Wake, or UNC, you can lose - haven't we learned that lesson enough times?

I do think there is a max level of success that Wake can obtain in football but D00k and especially UNC shouldn't have any limitations. I doubt that they'll always be down the way they have the last few years.

I would consider NC State a tough game. Yes, we've had their number but they're a pretty talented team.

Good point by Mustard - we should try to schedule in Texas since it's a priority to recruit there.

Re: I am dead set against...

I also feel that the 12th game increases the risk of bodily injury our athletes. The season is already intense, this just adds another game week to that already, diminishing opportunities for rest and recovery. Beyond that, are the obvious academic consequences of doing so. It is already so rough for SA's---I don't think we should keep piling it on. For those who favor playoffs, I can't imagine how this move supports the efforts to move in that direction (too many games is the primary argument already) and this will only hurt those efforts. I think the ACC was right to say they disagreed.

As for who I'd like us to play if we do it: one of the academies, or someone like UCONN who will give us 2 home games for one away game. I think U[sic]GA and another top opponent (Louisville, ND, Auburn et al) is more than enough for a tough schedule.

I can't find it online, but I heard that a home/away with Ole Miss is in the works (more than just discussion) for 2010-11.

Here's a hint at it: http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...09/SPORTS030103
[ QUOTE ]
Boone said Ole Miss has been in discussions the past few years with ACC member Georgia Tech about a series. There's also talk about resuming a series with Tulane. Boone said last week that neither of those potential opponents would necessarily affect Ole Miss' future with Memphis after the current contract ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 'spec we'll be playing a 12th game for the next few seasons: the ACC title game!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Back