# 16 Kalani Norris

In typical AJC fashion, errors abound in their articles. I was pumped to see we signed a 6'8" WR until I came here...

I'm just realizing how interesting next year's QB battle is going to be. We'll have 3 options, all of whom have legit reasons for being the starter.

Oliver is very athletic has lots of game experience and some success against FBS defenses
Johnson was the backup before his injury, is a good passer, and has the most time in the system
Graham is probably the most talented of them all

In typical AJC fashion, errors abound in their articles. I was pumped to see we signed a 6'8" WR until I came here...

Yeah, I saw 6'8" at the AJC article and was like WTF.

Why are we offering a 5'11" WR? Godalmighty.

Pretty sure they are looking at him as an A-back in the mold of Clinton Lynch, except rated higher. Norris is our 2nd highest rated recruit and he had 30 offers, including a bunch of P5's. To 50 WR nationally. I dunno how many of the offers were commit-able, but he clearly had a lot of interest. He's a slot back/slot receiver type of guy. You don't need him to be 6'5", you just need him to be fast. Remember Robbie Godhigh was pretty effective for us in this role as a 5'7", unrated prospect.

GT did the same with Lynch and pretty sure you don’t watch the postgame interviews where CPJ said we are not as explosive as he wants to be on the edges. Makes perfect sense

Yeah, if we've got him slotted as an A-back, then he's a great find.

If he's willing to block, I've got no problem with using him at WR. Quicker guys that can get separation from man coverage can have a field day with some of the wide open spaces in our opponent's defensive backfield. Smelter and Thomas are both big, but they're also very quick for their size and DB's had to respect that in coverage. IMO that's a much bigger problem for us right now than size or even catching. Even comeback routes aren't as open right now because corners aren't as worried about getting beat deep.

If he's willing to block, I've got no problem with using him at WR. Quicker guys that can get separation from man coverage can have a field day with some of the wide open spaces in our opponent's defensive backfield. Smelter and Thomas are both big, but they're also very quick for their size and DB's had to respect that in coverage. IMO that's a much bigger problem for us right now than size or even catching. Even comeback routes aren't as open right now because corners aren't as worried about getting beat deep.
I think Johnson likes throwing on the fade too much for him to be a wideout. At least the way cpj characterizes them as 50:50 balls makes me feel like it wouldn't fit.

I think Johnson likes throwing on the fade too much for him to be a wideout. At least the way cpj characterizes them as 50:50 balls makes me feel like it wouldn't fit.
You're probably right, but if he's fast then those jump balls can turn into fly routes where he beats the DB and catches it in stride for a TD. Same thing goes for the post routes - the more separation our receivers get, the more margin for error our QB has.

Back