2001 College Football Awards and other thoughts...

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
Overachievement Award - Gotta go with maryland. Good team. Disciplined team. They showed that if you play smart and don't beat yourselves, you can win in college football. They played one really good team this year and were crushed. Tech shoulda beat 'em too.

Underachievement Award - Many around here would point at Tech, but I'm gonna go with Mississippi State. What happened to these guys? I remember before the season, sherrill called Wayne Madkin "Jay Barker Lite"...better re-think that one, Jackie.

Collapse of the Year - I will go with UCLA on this one. They started the year like gangbusters and then hit a brick wall. Unbelievable collapse. Runner-up in this one is Auburn. They beat Florida and Georgia...and go into the Alabama game needing to win to go to the SEC-C game...and get crushed.

Year end Surge of the Year - LSU. They really surprised me with their win over UT...and that was no fluke. They kicked UT's butt. They were down in the dumps after losing to Ole Miss, but came back and got their season together. Runner-up is Alabama...nice win over Auburn.

Coach of the Year - Friedgen...who else?

Bowl of the Year - Holiday Bowl. It was great to see the Major go out with a big win like this. It's also great to see Neuheisel lose.

Lucky Bowl win of the Year - Alabama. Should have lost to Iowa State, if not for the blocked punt.

Gamer of the Year - Major Applewhite. This kid is all guts. What a competitor. He should have never been benched.

Single-Game comeback of the Year - Marshall over ECU in their bowl game. Down by 30. Awesome comeback. On the flip side, ECU hasn't played a full 4 quarters all year.

Upset of the Year - Oklahoma State over Oklahoma. This came on the same day as Colorado over Nebraska...but I was more shocked at the OSU win in Norman.

Wild game of the Year - Clemson/GT. This game was up and down, back and forth, and lord knows what else. I hated to lose this game, but it will go down as a classic.

Hot-Seat Award(for 2002) - Tuberville. He'd better watch it. He's losing his grip on the auburn situation. I heard yesterday that both of his coordinators resigned. That's an indication that things are not will on the Plains. Runner-Up is Tommy Bowden. He'd better be careful next year. Clemson doesn't like 6-5 seasons and bowl games played on blue turf against schools that are barely 1-A.

and finally...

Bonehead Award - Mark Richt. 2 game-ending screwups against Auburn and BC are forgiven for now, but if he keeps this up, he'll start to lose support from the Pupnation.

Comments?

bellyseries

Dodd-Like
I, too, like your choices, bugboy. I might split COY with Bunting.

There needs to be something for Fresno State- beat Colorado, lose to Hawaii and Idaho, hello?

bugboy

Damn Good Rat
I'll give Fresno State an award:

Early-Year Teaser Award: For a while, they had us thinking that they would end up being the outsider undefeated dinky conference team that would be screaming for a shot at the MNC. Then, reality set in.