2004 Intangibles

FreeBee

Varsity Lurker
There are numerous factors on both the positive and negative that can be weighed to form our opinions about the upcoming season. Returning starters, overall athleticism, schedule, etc, etc etc.

There are several intangibles that will have major impacts on the Jackets' relative success this season:

1. Injuries - there are almost always some, especially among younger players.

2. Academic casualties - usually at least one key player.

3. Senior leadership - who are the players Chan expects to provide the inspirational peer leadership?

4. Team chemistry - Will this group come together and put me-me-me aside, or will factionalism rear its ugly head?

How the team deals with unexpected obstacles and the aforementioned 4 items will have as much to do with success as the # of returning starters, etc.

This is where coaching, leading and motivating the players (behind the scenes) IMHO, helps keep individuals in tune with team goals.

The next 2 seasons are a crossroads for Tech in the new ACC. Will we rise toward the top or fall back into the pack?

CCG has the opportunity to be a hero. Its just too bad that he's become a lightning rod for fan support or the lack thereof.

I think we have leaders in Nate Curry James Butler Kyle Wallace and even i think PJ has lots of leadership qualitites.

Agree with the overall post, but would just add that a head coach is ALWAYS a lightning rod for fans. Chan will either raise the program and benefit from everything that comes with success or he won't and will leave it to the next guy. But there's nothing new about that.

[ QUOTE ]
I think we have leaders in Nate Curry James Butler Kyle Wallace and even i think PJ has lots of leadership qualitites.

[/ QUOTE ]
I also think that Damarius Bilbo and Reuben Houston will provide motivation and leadership on and off the field. I hope that Travis Chambers and Calvin Johnson can make a difference as true freshmen this year. We are "thin" in these areas.
Chan is a good leader and I expect to see results from our players because of his tenacity behind the whistle this year. If we can play with intensity on every down and not give up like we did against Clemson and Duke last year, we will do great things, IMVHO.

For intangibles-One of the 04 magazines rated CG 8th in conf as a coach.I think last season negated that but this season can nail it for good.Last season could have been a disaster .At least it proved CG can incorporate the talent he has into a dangerous team.It still of concern to me that a team that plays FSU even for 55 min and beats Md, loses to Duke by 25+ and Clemson by 35.But it sure erases the idea that he is incompetent and rated 8th, in only his 3rd season.

U can add Auburn in there too.
Incompetent?
Nahhhhhhh, don't think so.
Flash in the pan?
Nahhhhhhh, definitely not so.
Start with the basics and build?
Yepper, that's a yes.
I still contend that if we allow him 3 or 4 years to get in there and set up his system for the way he wants it to go, we will wind up with some mighty strong teams to be reckoned with on a national level.
I've never seen a HC take a job with more anchors tied to right off that CG has had. Let's just set back and support this man as a jewel in the rough. If he doesn't show by next year what I'm saying, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.
UGA's new coach came in and made a big hit right off the gitgo. However, recruiting has been a breeze over there all along anyway. GT has to recruit to a higher calibur athlete than our neighbors so we just have to live with it. We will be back to the limelight and I think it will be very soon.

Back