2012 Recruiting Thread

I keep hearing Perkins will move to A back in the spring. That will give us big and fast backs at that position. Right now the backfield seems to be set for the near future. We need some big uglys.

Why? We are already loaded at A-back.

Smith, Zenon, Bostic, Hill, and Godhigh all have experience and there's Snoody and Milton behind them that look like they will be great players.

Perkins needs to stay at B-back. There will only be 3 experienced players there next season including Perkins. Then Watson also graduates.

Smith, Zenon, Bostic, Hill, and Godhigh all have experience and there's Snoody and Milton behind them that look like they will be great players.

Perkins needs to stay at B-back. There will only be 3 experienced players there next season including Perkins. Then Watson also graduates.

Yea Perkins needs to stay at BB. He looks slow and stiff anyway, i'm not sure he would be very good at AB.

If Perkins is one of our 3 best backs along with Sims next year, then he should move to AB to get the best 11 on the field. If not, it's probably best that he provide depth at BB. That goes for anybody playing the 3 RB spots. If Perkins, Sims, and Orwin are our best backs, then they should start at the 3 positions. I realize it's a little different skill set, but there's a lot of overlap with the skillset of those 2 positions. A guy who is great at one will usually be great at the other, though not always. If injuries force the issue, we can always move somebody back to their original spot.

Hey, I'm not the coach, just the messenger. I figure they are trying to get him on the field.

If Perkins is one of our 3 best backs along with Sims next year, then he should move to AB to get the best 11 on the field. If not, it's probably best that he provide depth at BB. That goes for anybody playing the 3 RB spots. If Perkins, Sims, and Orwin are our best backs, then they should start at the 3 positions. I realize it's a little different skill set, but there's a lot of overlap with the skillset of those 2 positions. A guy who is great at one will usually be great at the other, though not always. If injuries force the issue, we can always move somebody back to their original spot.

Agree 100%.

Sims or Perkins at BB.

Orwin Smith or Sims/Perkins at AB.

Would be shocked if bostic isn't the aback starting opposite orwin next year. Zenon and one other providing the depth.

Would be shocked if bostic isn't the aback starting opposite orwin next year. Zenon and one other providing the depth.

Really? I'd be surprised if Bostic was ahead of Zenon on the depth chart.

Really? I'd be surprised if Bostic was ahead of Zenon on the depth chart.

While philosophically opposed to extending these conversations too long in the recruiting thread, I'll add two cents and take it back to recruiting:

Both Bostic and Zenon have impressed me with their running ability but I don't recall either blowing me away with blocking. I expect that whoever joins Orwin next year will have to be able to block reliably. I wouldn't be surprised if Godhigh or Deon Hill breakthrough for that reason -- but, really, it's little more than speculation at this point.

With Roddy and Embry leaving and Marcus already gone, I expect us to go after at least one more RB in this class.

the move to Aback reason is SIZE-look at size of those guys,until they have the EXACT skills to block well then size matters, A LOT

Gosh I hope Tech spends more ships on OL and DL than A-backs or B-Backs. Running backs isn't the problem.

Orwin Smith was a 2-star.

So were Mike Cox, Adamm Oliver, Mansfield Wrotto, Vance Walker, Andrew Gardner, Gary Guyton and Philip Wheeler. 5 of those 7 are in the NFL (and playing) now.

Say smarter things.

So by your logic, you think 15 four star recruits are the same as 15 two stars? With the moderm media and video everywhere the recruiting services are getting better, sure there are diamonds to be found but not very many anymore. If Tech doesn't step up the recruiting, we will be more like Duke than like VPI. I will take more stars anytime. "It's about recruiting, Stupid".

As has been discussed to death here, many of the "stars" that a recruit is given are based on the schools that are actively recruiting them and how active their fanbase is on the recruiting sites. More paying fans = more stars.

So by your logic, you think 15 four star recruits are the same as 15 two stars? With the moderm media and video everywhere the recruiting services are getting better, sure there are diamonds to be found but not very many anymore. If Tech doesn't step up the recruiting, we will be more like Duke than like VPI. I will take more stars anytime. "It's about recruiting, Stupid".

:eekfacepalm:

There's no point in arguing.

Thus far, CPJ's two and three stars have not been nearly as dominant as Chan's 2007 class. If recruiting ratings were not indicative of talent, we'd beat Georgia more often.

2008 VT #20 with 31 commits, GT #37 with 20 commits
2009 VT #41 with 22 commits, GT #32 with 21 commits
2010 VT #37 with 19 commits, GT #41 with 18 commits
2011 VT #39 with 21 commits, GT #42 with 22 commits
2012 VT #19 with 26 commits, GT #54 with 11 commits

Looking at the past 5 years it appears we are pretty much equal to VT in recruiting with the exceptions being 2008 and the current year, however I think the numbers of commits are skewing the numbers in those years. In the current year VT has one 4* and SEVEN 2* recruits, while we have one 4* and one 2*. The difference is they are probably done at this point and we still have several spots to fill and several big fish on the line like Tomlinson (4*), McCalister (3*), Orjioke (3*), Shumate (4*), and Ekakatie (4*). This class could turn out to be a very good one.

2008 VT #20 with 31 commits, GT #37 with 20 commits
2009 VT #41 with 22 commits, GT #32 with 21 commits
2010 VT #37 with 19 commits, GT #41 with 18 commits
2011 VT #39 with 21 commits, GT #42 with 22 commits
2012 VT #19 with 26 commits, GT #54 with 11 commits

Looking at the past 5 years it appears we are pretty much equal to VT in recruiting with the exceptions being 2008 and the current year, however I think the numbers of commits are skewing the numbers in those years. In the current year VT has one 4* and SEVEN 2* recruits, while we have one 4* and one 2*. The difference is they are probably done at this point and we still have several spots to fill and several big fish on the line like Tomlinson (4*), McCalister (3*), Orjioke (3*), Shumate (4*), and Ekakatie (4*). This class could turn out to be a very good one.

It's a hard comparison to make since vpi oversigns--not SEC level, but not insignificant. Just look at what you have there, they've taking 119+ in 5 years while we're taking 92+. Given the scholarship limit of 85, we're looking at an attrition rate of 2-3 a year while they're looking at closer to 7 a year.

It's a hard comparison to make since vpi oversigns--not SEC level, but not insignificant. Just look at what you have there, they've taking 119+ in 5 years while we're taking 92+. Given the scholarship limit of 85, we're looking at an attrition rate of 2-3 a year while they're looking at closer to 7 a year.
Maybe their academics are just too hard for their players? :bowrofl:

Back