2021 Beesball

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Tech baseball announced their 2021 schedule yesterday:
https://ramblinwreck.com/baseball-announces-2021-schedule/

We're ranked 15 by both D1baseball and College Baseball Nation, 19 by Perfect Game, and 22 by Baseball America. Also, we have a couple of highly touted freshmen in C Kevin Parada (No. 6 rated freshman) and OF Jake DeLeo (No. 33).

2021 Schedule Highlights:
  • Six home series against teams that rank in the nation’s major preseason top-25 polls (No. 2 Louisville, No. 5 Virginia, No. 17 Auburn, No. 9 Florida State, No. 12 Georgia, and No. 25 Clemson);
  • Features 10 teams overall ranking in the nation’s major preseason top-25 polls (NC State, Louisville, Wake Forest, Duke, Virginia, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Clemson and Miami);
  • Hosts six Atlantic Coast Conference series, including No. 2 Louisville (March 5-7) and ninth-ranked Florida State (April 23-25), who both advanced to the College World Series in 2019;
  • Features a rematch of the 2019 ACC Championship Game to finish the regular season as Tech hosts North Carolina on May 20-22;
  • Features five series against five 2019 NCAA Super Regional teams overall (Duke, Louisville, Florida State, North Carolina and Auburn);
  • Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate: The Yellow Jackets will play archrival UGA twice in 2021, traveling to Athens on April 27 before hosting No. 12 Georgia on May 18.
  • Also hosts in-state foes Mercer (Feb. 24), Georgia Southern (March 17), and Kennesaw State (April 30-May 1);
  • Also hosts SEC foe Auburn – who currently ranks 17th nationally – on April 13 at Russ Chandler Stadium;
  • Plays nine teams ranked in the top-50 in RPI last season, including five in the top 25.

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
What is the attendance policy?
In order to maintain social distancing guidelines recommended by the CDC, Russ Chandler Stadium’s capacity will be limited to approximately 20 percent for the 2021 regular season.
Individuals (ages 2 and up) attending Georgia Tech baseball games at Russ Chandler Stadium are required to wear an approved personal face covering at all times while within the stadium perimeter. Exceptions include when an individual is actively eating and drinking in their assigned seat and fans who have a documented health condition that does not allow them to wear a mask.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
We lost our best offensive player in Guldberg (.450 avg, .533 slg, .521 obp) and our Friday starter in Hughes (2-1, 4.15 era, .221 opp avg), but that's about all we lost.

Notable returners:
SS Luke Waddell - 2021 Preseason 2nd Team AA (.300 avg, .417 slg, .419 obp, 14 rbi)
1B Drew Compton - 2020 Freshman AA (.321 avg, .589 slg, .420 obp - all second on the team last year, 12 rbi, 3 hr)
OF Stephen Reid - 2020 Freshman AA (.273 avg, .340 obp, led team w 5 hr in 16 games)
P Dalton Smith - 2020 Freshman AA (3-0, 1.46 era, .227 opp avg, 14 k's in 12.1 ip)

2B Austin Wilhite - (.229 avg, not much better in 2019, but did have a .369 obp)
OF Colin Hall - (.228 avg, but hit .307 in 2019)
OF Tres Gonzalez - (.368 in limited ABs as a 2020 freshman)
1B Andrew Jenkins - (.364 in limited ABs as a 2020 freshman)

P Brant Hurter - 2019 ERA leader (2.42) who missed last season (what there was of it) recovering from Tommy John
P Cort Roedig - Weekend starter last season (4.34 era, 23 k's in 18.2 ip)
P Zach Maxwell - Weekend starter last season (3.14 era, .104 opp avg, 20 k's in 14.1 ip)
P Luke Bartnicki - Midweek Starter (1.76 era, .137 opp avg, 17 k's in 15.1 ip)

RP Andy Archer - Closer last season
RP Sam Crawford - (1.86 era in 8 appearances, 14 k's in 9.2 ip)
RP Hugh Chapman - (2.25 era in 8 appearances, 12 k's in 8.0 ip)

Notable Noobs - 8th ranked incoming class (we were 4th last year, so really two solid classes who all count as freshmen this year)
C Kevin Parada - (No. 6 rated freshman in the country - https://ramblinwreck.com/baseball-freshmen-ranked-among-nations-best/) Perfect Game Grade 10, 30th ranked player overall, 3rd C
OF Jake DeLeo - (No. 33 rated freshman) Perfect Game Grade 10, 36th ranked player overall, 11th OF
P Marquis Grissom Jr - Yep, it's his son; Perfect Game Grade 9.5, 85th ranked player overall, 27th RHP
OF Brad Grenkoski - Perfect Game Grade 10, 146th ranked player overall, 30th OF
OF/2B Nate McCollum - Perfect Game Grade 10, 183rd ranked player overall, 32nd OF
2B John Anderson - Perfect Game Grade 9.5, 183rd ranked player overall, 67nd 2b
Vandy transer INF Justyn-Henry Malloy - started 7 of 12 games for Vandy last season and was 2nd on team with .487 obp (but only hit .167)
Vandy transfer P Chance Huff - Didn't pitch in 2020 and wasn't great in 2019, but was named SECs 42nd best 2021 MLB Draft prospect

Last edited:

BackstreetBuzz

GT fan for 60+ years
Damn, I was hoping to go to some games, but I am not wearing a mask for 3 hours. Seems like they could have a vaccinated and a non-vaccinated area. I would be more than happy to wear a mask in common areas. Just seems like all common sense has been thrown out the window.

ClydeBrick

All Being Master of Time Space & Dimension
Damn, I was hoping to go to some games, but I am not wearing a mask for 3 hours. Seems like they could have a vaccinated and a non-vaccinated area. I would be more than happy to wear a mask in common areas. Just seems like all common sense has been thrown out the window.
Bruh. Go to the game and hold a bottle of water while in your seat for 3 hours. They may even allow you to bring one in.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Forgot Baron Radcliff (drafted) and Brody Westbrooks (returning).
I wasn't intending to list everybody.

Thought about including Baron. He had his moments, but was streaky on both sides of the ball. He was a multi-year starter though, so probably is worth a mention. I was VERY surprised he went in the 5th rd though. Hopefully he fulfills his potential (though the Phillies drafted him, so hopefully not too much while he's there ;)).

We also lost Jackson Webb (SR) who started too. The only other senior was Paxton Rigby who didn't see the field much. We lost a couple of freshmen - Jackson Arnold who threw a few innings and Harrison Thiel who didn't play.

Westbrooks is one of a lot of freshman that I didn't list, but yes he is also back. He only pitched 5 innings, so I didn't include him, but yeah he was solid w a 3.18 era when he did pitch.

We have A LOT of depth this year. Everybody will, but we lost less than most for sure. Will be nice to have some pitching depth.

Also, people are touting our potential OF trio of Gonzalez, Hall, and DeLeon as the best defensive trio in the country. I'm not sure where they're thinking Reid slots in though - maybe DH? He's pretty darn good himself.

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
You really find masks that much of a pain? Have you tried different masks? I have this one https://www.inexgear.com/products/the-better-mask-black and it isn't bothersome at all. They also have bandana masks they sell. Those are also comfortable and allow you to breath easy.

Not to mention, it's gonna be cold for a while. Masks in the cold actually seem pretty helpful at keeping my face warm.

I get the frustration, but there's so many more frustrating things we put up with in life. Masks just don't seem like that big of a nuisance to me.

BackstreetBuzz

GT fan for 60+ years
You really find masks that much of a pain? Have you tried different masks? I have this one https://www.inexgear.com/products/the-better-mask-black and it isn't bothersome at all. They also have bandana masks they sell. Those are also comfortable and allow you to breath easy.

Not to mention, it's gonna be cold for a while. Masks in the cold actually seem pretty helpful at keeping my face warm.

I get the frustration, but there's so many more frustrating things we put up with in life. Masks just don't seem like that big of a nuisance to me.
I support wearing masks and have been diligent in wearing them. I do, however, find them very bothersome. My glasses fog up and I just do not breath well with them on. My point is that, supposedly, after being vaccinated I have about a 95% chance of either not getting Covid or not even noticing it if I do. I guess there is a 5% chance of getting a mild case, but that is a chance I am definitely willing to take. I do not want to infect others, but if someone is worried about it, maybe they can double mask, rather that me being miserable for 3 hours at a baseball game.

Vespidie

I'm your Huckleberry

Masks are merely a governmental control feature that help support part of a bigger social experiment that is taking place. The very thought that supposedly intelligent people actually think that masks make a difference is a bit baffling, but to each his own. Unfortunately we're at the mercy of the venues to follow their rules, so the goofy masks are a must if you want to watch GT baseball live.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Masks are merely a governmental control feature that help support part of a bigger social experiment that is taking place. The very thought that supposedly intelligent people actually think that masks make a difference is a bit baffling, but to each his own. Unfortunately we're at the mercy of the venues to follow their rules, so the goofy masks are a must if you want to watch GT baseball live.
Yeah.

I love to watch the disconnect. They'll say "wear your mask and social distance" and then get it and go "wtf"?

FHstinger

Helluva Engineer
Only 50 games, as opposed to the usual 56. No return trip to Auburn, Georgia Southern or Mercer. No two midweek games with Kennesaw, as series is moved to the weekend of final exams. No SunTrust/Truist Park game with Uga.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
Only 50 games, as opposed to the usual 56. No return trip to Auburn, Georgia Southern or Mercer. No two midweek games with Kennesaw, as series is moved to the weekend of final exams. No SunTrust/Truist Park game with Uga.
That's a bummer for the uga game.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
First game on Friday. Apparently season tickets sold out, so they won't be having any single game general admission this season. Only students, player guests and premium experiences remain. Kind of a bummer.

Anybody on here score season tickets and have some games they won't be able to make?