2021 Beesball

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Hall should have let Hurter pitch the 8th. He was throwing a shutout with seven strikeouts and no walks. Tech has the worst bullpen in the league. Reliever immediately walked the bases loaded, and all eventually scored.
I didn't watch the game, but 98 pitches on a freezing cold night? No thanks. I'll take our chances with the (nowhere near worst in the league) bullpen and save our ace for the rest of the season. He leaves Hurter in there and he has dead arm next week and you're calling for CDH's head (I know, I know, most of us want him gone soon either way, but...).

I didn't watch the game, but we only had two walks all game. I'm assuming the other was a HBP? Regardless, the guys at the end of our pen are struggling, but that's exactly who you go to when you're up 6-0. Chapman is somebody we're going to need and has been solid the past two seasons. You'd rather him work out his issues when we're up 6-0 than in a close game. Unfortunately it didn't work out and he's still struggling. Looks like Smith (who after his first appearance has only given up 1 run in 8 innings of work) came in and did his job and Bartnicki (who has been starting to get back in his groove) was able to close the door.

Tech doesn't have the best bullpen in the league, but we're NOWHERE near the worst. Watch ACCN or ACCN+ for a couple of hours this weekend if you don't believe me. The end of the pen is struggling for sure and that's weighing down the overall ERA, but I'd bet any team in the league would love to have Maxwell, Bartnicki, and Smith.

Last edited:

Beeski

Damn Good Rat
Hall should have let Hurter pitch the 8th. He was throwing a shutout with seven strikeouts and no walks. Tech has the worst bullpen in the league. Reliever immediately walked the bases loaded, and all eventually scored.
Hurter is coming off Tommy John Surgery 2 years ago.
He had thrown 100 pitches
7 innings is the longest he had ever pitched in college.
It was time to pull him. We need his arm in May and June.

Bullpen was not good.
Hopefully we can find some guys to provide some middle relief.
Am optimistic that Maxwell is a closer.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Tech having a terrible pen is exactly why Hurter shouldn’t have pitched the 8th. The issue is we haven’t been having any midweek games to get the depth guys innings. Up 6-0 against the worst offense in the league is exactly when we should be trying to get these guys some work.

Bartnicki giving up 6 base runners an outing as our closer is certainly an issue though.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Tech having a terrible pen is exactly why Hurter shouldn’t have pitched the 8th. The issue is we haven’t been having any midweek games to get the depth guys innings. Up 6-0 against the worst offense in the league is exactly when we should be trying to get these guys some work.

Bartnicki giving up 6 base runners an outing as our closer is certainly an issue though.
Every time that I think Bartnicki is turning the corner he has an outing like this. I think it's more of a split closer role with him and Maxwell right now depending on situations, but either way we're definitely going to need him to be a shut down guy as we move deeper into the season. I missed last night's game, but from what I've seen so far this season it seems like he's getting too much of the zone too often.

78pike

Varsity Lurker
Every time that I think Bartnicki is turning the corner he has an outing like this. I think it's more of a split closer role with him and Maxwell right now depending on situations, but either way we're definitely going to need him to be a shut down guy as we move deeper into the season. I missed last night's game, but from what I've seen so far this season it seems like he's getting too much of the zone too often.
I think he came into the game a bit cold. For most of the bottom of the 8th, while we were batting, he wasn't even warming up. If you had watched the game you would have noticed that the pitches he threw to the 1st 2 batters, that got hits, looked like batting practice fastballs. I blame that on the fact he wasn't fully warmed up. After that he got warm and his pitches had much more bite to them - both his fastball and slider. I think the coaches just figured he would be better off starting the inning rather than coming in after another reliever put men on base. Personally, I like the way he battled back and finished off the inning and allowed us to keep Maxwell fresh for today's game.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't watch the game, but 98 pitches on a freezing cold night? No thanks. I'll take our chances with the (nowhere near worst in the league) bullpen and save our ace for the rest of the season. He leaves Hurter in there and he has dead arm next week and you're calling for CDH's head (I know, I know, most of us want him gone soon either way, but...).

I didn't watch the game, but we only had two walks all game. I'm assuming the other was a HBP? Regardless, the guys at the end of our pen are struggling, but that's exactly who you go to when you're up 6-0. Chapman is somebody we're going to need and has been solid the past two seasons. You'd rather him work out his issues when we're up 6-0 than in a close game. Unfortunately it didn't work out and he's still struggling. Looks like Smith (who after his first appearance has only given up 1 run in 8 innings of work) came in and did his job and Bartnicki (who has been starting to get back in his groove) was able to close the door.

Tech doesn't have the best bullpen in the league, but we're NOWHERE near the worst. Watch ACCN or ACCN+ for a couple of hours this weekend if you don't believe me. The end of the pen is struggling for sure and that's weighing down the overall ERA, but I'd bet any team in the league would love to have Maxwell, Bartnicki, and Smith.
Dalton Smith did indeed do his job. After giving up a double to his first batter, he sat down his next three and put out Chapman's fire. Smith should have stayed in and pitched the ninth IMHO.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
All Virginia tonight. 8-2 in the late innings. Need to find a way tomorrow since Virginia hasn’t won an ACC series yet and has looked bad doing it.

JuicedJacket

Varsity Lurker
Anyone in here know why we haven’t seen much Jackson Finley this past month? Haven’t heard mention of an injury but that’s what I figure naturally...

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Anyone in here know why we haven’t seen much Jackson Finley this past month? Haven’t heard mention of an injury but that’s what I figure naturally...
Torn UCL. Out for the season. He was pitching really well too. Of all the bullpen arms with control issues, he was not struggling to find the zone at all.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Sorry guys I just started listening again when I saw it was 5-3. My B.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
With the worst bullpen in the league, dumb Danny pulls starter Sam Crawford after only five innings. Never mind Crawford gave up only one early run, with three strikeouts and no walks. The bullpen promptly gives up ten runs. Bartnicki two in the 6th and 7th, Fat Max two more in the 8th, Dalton Smith six in the 9th, and Medich one more run.
Tech loses game 11-4, and loses series to last place Virginia. :deadhorse:

Meanwhile, Malloy with two more errors today, making six errors for the weekend. :eekfacepalm:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
With the worst bullpen in the league, dumb Danny pulls starter Sam Crawford after only five innings. Never mind Crawford gave up only one early run, with three strikeouts and no walks. The bullpen promptly gives up ten runs. Bartnicki two in the 6th and 7th, Fat Max two more in the 8th, Dalton Smith six in the 9th, and Medich one more run.
Tech loses game 11-4, and loses series to last place Virginia. :deadhorse:

Meanwhile, Malloy with two more errors today, making six errors for the weekend. :eekfacepalm:
Dude, it's baseball. The way you post you'd think we were ACC bottom feeders, not the #6 team in the country and tied for 1st in the ACC.

We're probably the youngest team in the ACC. We're going to have some growing pains.

Do you watch much college baseball? This isn't college football where teams dominate. The best teams in the league aren't very far from the "worst" teams in the league. ESPECIALLY in the ACC. Nobody dominates and goes undefeated, winning every series along the way. Hell, I don't want to see us lose, but I'd rather is see some adversity early in the season than later.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Yeah we are super young. Inconsistency will be part of our season.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
Dude, it's baseball. The way you post you'd think we were ACC bottom feeders, not the #6 team in the country and tied for 1st in the ACC.

We're probably the youngest team in the ACC. We're going to have some growing pains.

Do you watch much college baseball? This isn't college football where teams dominate. The best teams in the league aren't very far from the "worst" teams in the league. ESPECIALLY in the ACC. Nobody dominates and goes undefeated, winning every series along the way. Hell, I don't want to see us lose, but I'd rather is see some adversity early in the season than later.
Is this really the first time you’ve noticed that he is a total douchebag? He has some sort of axe to grind with Danny, and only posts here when the team loses. He’s the best after the fact baseball expert I’ve ever seen.

cyclejacket

Not Responsible for Biden BS
Is this really the first time you’ve noticed that he is a total douchebag? He has some sort of axe to grind with Danny, and only posts here when the team loses. He’s the best after the fact baseball expert I’ve ever seen.
He is a negative nellie, but at the very least it appears he watches GT baseball. Fans who care are important, but I'm not so sure why he watches since he doesn't appear to derive any enjoyment from it.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow

No more excuses for losing please, especially losing badly.

I've been a GT Baseball season ticket holder from 1995 to 2018, so I'd say we've watched plenty of college baseball. I'd say I've also earned the right to criticize as we've seen Danny Hall blow dozens of games by poor, inexplicable in game use of his pitchers. He hosted regionals in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2019 as the #1 seed, and lost them all. I was there for it all. Has any other coach lost four regionals in a row as the host?

I listen to all the games on the radio. I've witnessed a lot. By the way, Tech is no longer ranked #6, they have dropped to #15.

Last edited: