2021 Beesball

FHstinger

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
He is a negative nellie, but at the very least it appears he watches GT baseball. Fans who care are important, but I'm not so sure why he watches since he doesn't appear to derive any enjoyment from it.
I enjoy it when we win, but I get a lot more angry when we lose. Especially when we lose by poor, ill advised in game use of pitchers that directly leads to a Tech loss. So you can list me as a fan who cares.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
No more excuses for losing please, especially losing badly.

I've been a GT Baseball season ticket holder from 1995 to 2018, so I'd say we've watched plenty of college baseball. I'd say I've also earned the right to criticize as we've seen Danny Hall blow dozens of games by poor, inexplicable in game use of his pitchers. He hosted regionals in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2019 as the #1 seed, and lost them all. I was there for it all. Has any other coach lost four regionals in a row as the host?

I listen to all the games on the radio. I've witnessed a lot. By the way, Tech is no longer ranked #6, they have dropped to #15.
We just need to get Danny your number so he can call you during the games for your expert advice.

Where do you coach these days?

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
USC Upstate 9, Tech 3. Team is kind of sucking right now. Need to figure it out pretty quickly. The ACC standings are still in good shape but the overall record isn’t. There could be a situation where the team is .500 in ACC but under .500 overall here pretty soon.

Essobee

A Light In The Darkness
It has already been stated that this is a very young team. Additionally, sickness and injuries have affected the team's performance. So does academics. I suggest we focus on the effort extended by the boys and less on individual errors. Those of you who are golfers know that one day you can be the top dog and the next day you can be the tree. Ditto with pitchers and field goal kickers. That's just the way it goes with skilled positions, so the coaches also have to be part trainer and part psychologists in order to call the shots that have the best chance of success.

FHstinger

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
It has already been stated that this is a very young team. Additionally, sickness and injuries have affected the team's performance. So does academics. I suggest we focus on the effort extended by the boys and less on individual errors. Those of you who are golfers know that one day you can be the top dog and the next day you can be the tree. Ditto with pitchers and field goal kickers. That's just the way it goes with skilled positions, so the coaches also have to be part trainer and part psychologists in order to call the shots that have the best chance of success.
Excuses, excuses, excuses. No more excuses please.

It's obvious you haven't followed Tech baseball very long. The downward spiral of Tech baseball from 2012 to 2018, getting worse each year, missing the regionals in 2015, 2017, and 2018, and culminating in 2018 in the first overall losing record since 1981, the year before Jim Morris arrived on the Flats, was hard to watch. Tech baseball was rescued in 2019 by the hiring of James Ramsey.
:deadhorse:
In losing three in a row badly, and four of last five, it appears there's only so much Ramsey can do with this Tech team under Danny Hall. Tech has fallen to a 7-8 record at home now. We were a hair away from getting swept by last place Virginia, almost blowing Hurter's 6-0 lead in the 8th and 9th innings in game 1, hanging on to win 6-5 with the tying run on third base in the 9th. So, Tech could very well be on a five game losing streak.

Tech was swept by Notre Dame in the cold weather of South Bend, Indiana a few years ago the last time Hall took his team up there. Notre Dame is now the 2nd highest ranked team in the ACC, behind only Louisville. It's looking more and more like it could happen again. :eek2:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Excuses, excuses, excuses. No more excuses please.

It's obvious you haven't followed Tech baseball very long. The downward spiral of Tech baseball from 2012 to 2018, getting worse each year, missing the regionals in 2015, 2017, and 2018, and culminating in 2018 in the first overall losing record since 1981, the year before Jim Morris arrived on the Flats, was hard to watch. Tech baseball was rescued in 2019 by the hiring of James Ramsey.
:deadhorse:
In losing three in a row badly, and four of last five, it appears there's only so much Ramsey can do with this Tech team under Danny Hall. Tech has fallen to a 7-8 record at home now. We were a hair away from getting swept by last place Virginia, almost blowing Hurter's 6-0 lead in the 8th and 9th innings in game 1, hanging on to win 6-5 with the tying run on third base in the 9th. So, Tech could very well be on a five game losing streak.

Tech was swept by Notre Dame in the cold weather of South Bend, Indiana a few years ago the last time Hall took his team up there. Notre Dame is now the 2nd highest ranked team in the ACC, behind only Louisville. It's looking more and more like it could happen again. :eek2:
All things considered, we have a pretty damn good baseball program man. Sure, we had a few down years. Nobody is consistently dominant or even close. This is a college sport - one where the talent gap is pretty minuscule across the board.

Everybody on this board is equally frustrated about all of the blown regionals and such. The year we made the CWS and had the lead in the 9th in both of our games, yet lost both sucked donkey balls.

If there's a huge CDH fan, I haven't met them.

We all know where you stand. Do you really need to keep saying the same things? You bring pretty much nothing to these threads. YOU are the one beating the dead horse. If I was you and I found it this miserable, I'd probably stop watching. You don't seem to enjoy it.

Fire CDH! We suck! Blah blah blah!

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Jackets take 7-2 lead to Bottom 7 at ND and it’s immediately 7-6. Not sure how much was Hurter and how much was the pen, but this is getting pretty silly. No lead is safe anymore, and it feels like it is happening every game now.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Jackets take 7-2 lead to Bottom 7 at ND and it’s immediately 7-6. Not sure how much was Hurter and how much was the pen, but this is getting pretty silly. No lead is safe anymore, and it feels like it is happening every game now.
Offense got 2 back in the 8th to give the pen a 3-run cushion of 9-6... Bullpen immediately gives up 4 more in the bottom of the 8th. Notre Dame wins 10-9.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Well we’d be the best high school team in the country for sure! Gotta find a way to end these games after 7.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
This is not just a small problem. A very talented team is in free fall because we can’t protect big leads. We do have a good program. It also underperforms based on the number of years we finish considerably lower than we were regarded at the start of the year. If you have to move a starter into a closer role, do it. I would think the spirit of a team that keeps blowing leads would be pretty low. Hope we get this fixed.

Vespidie

The Antivirus
Interesting takes in this thread as I haven't stayed up to date in the last 2 weeks due to work getting in the way of my personal time. However FHStinger brings up some good points. Losing the same way repeatedly and with consistency tends to wear on some fans after awhile. We seem to be consistent in 3 areas of the game, but only one of the three is consistently good....hitting. The other two, which IMO are the most important are fair to poor.....pitching and defense. Some how we have to find pitchers that can grind that also have an attitude about them. Most of these guys were probably recruited as starters for their HS teams and they don't seem to be able to adjust to the roles they've been placed in. As for the defensive miscues, there are no excuses for those IMO. These guys have been playing the game for a long time, and they obviously need to get back to fundamentals. Fundamentally speaking, it ain't that difficult to pin point the problems, but you got to be willing to pull the trigger on a guy in hopes that the next guy up is ready to go. I don't give a shat what kind of practice player a guy is, if he's not performing when the lights come on, find someone who will.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
Interesting takes in this thread as I haven't stayed up to date in the last 2 weeks due to work getting in the way of my personal time. However FHStinger brings up some good points. Losing the same way repeatedly and with consistency tends to wear on some fans after awhile. We seem to be consistent in 3 areas of the game, but only one of the three is consistently good....hitting. The other two, which IMO are the most important are fair to poor.....pitching and defense. Some how we have to find pitchers that can grind that also have an attitude about them. Most of these guys were probably recruited as starters for their HS teams and they don't seem to be able to adjust to the roles they've been placed in. As for the defensive miscues, there are no excuses for those IMO. These guys have been playing the game for a long time, and they obviously need to get back to fundamentals. Fundamentally speaking, it ain't that difficult to pin point the problems, but you got to be willing to pull the trigger on a guy in hopes that the next guy up is ready to go. I don't give a shat what kind of practice player a guy is, if he's not performing when the lights come on, find someone who will.
Brings up good points? Puhleeeeze.

The team lacks depth on the mound. Doesn’t take genius to figure that out.

And, we have the rest of the season to figure that out. Baseball is a long season, and it is better to be good at the end than at the beginning.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like

And, we have the rest of the season to figure that out. Baseball is a long season, and it is better to be good at the end than at the beginning.
Even in the best of regular seasons, we all assume Hall teams will choke in regionals. Not getting out of regionals for 15 years for a program of Tech’s stature and talent-level is pretty stunning and hard to accomplish, especially if you remember the details of the Athens one and all of the host ones at RCS. So it’s extra frustrating when even getting to regionals looks like it’s slipping away and that it’s happening in the exact way that most of Hall’s struggles in the last decade did - inability to close a game. I would wager Tech has blown close to 30 saves in ACC games since 2015. So of course there is still time, and maybe this team will finally be the team to get hot at the right time, and no I don’t feel giddy about wagging my finger at Hall like FHStinger does. But he is mostly correct that Danny Hall is gonna Danny Hall.

Vespidie

The Antivirus

A lack of depth is a lack of depth. We're already half way through a 50 game schedule, and lack of pitching depth doesn't explain the poor defensive play that has also plagued the team. We aren't talking Div2 baseball players either. Baseball/pitching 101 expects pitchers to throw strikes, and to not give the opposition extra outs. Our guys haven't done a very good job of either up to this point in the season, so rather than heaping all the blame on CDH, maybe the players need to step it up and start playing up to their expectations and start making baseball plays.

Last edited:

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like

Is there a reason you think we'll be better at the end than the beginning? Sure, it's a long season, but it's already more than halfway over. We're barely above .500 overall, with an RPI of 68 (only UVA and BC are worse). The second half of the schedule is tougher than the first: we've played 9 top-50 RPI teams so far, with 12 left on the schedule. We've also lost 5 in a row. Despite the #16 beside our name, I don't think we'd be in a regional if the season ended today.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
Is there a reason you think we'll be better at the end than the beginning? Sure, it's a long season, but it's already more than halfway over. We're barely above .500 overall, with an RPI of 68 (only UVA and BC are worse). The second half of the schedule is tougher than the first: we've played 9 top-50 RPI teams so far, with 12 left on the schedule. We've also lost 5 in a row. Despite the #16 beside our name, I don't think we'd be in a regional if the season ended today.
No reason to think that, just hoping for the best.