2021 Beesball

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Our pitching has been not as expected this season. A couple of guys who were supposed to be go-to guys have been not so great to say the least. Hard to pinpoint reasoning on that, but it happens. We have a nice mix of experience in with the starters and youth in the pen.

Hopefully the pen can find themselves as they keep gaining experience. Really they'd be fine if they could cut back on the walks. Maxwell is probably the most frustrating there - 16 walks in 12 innings when the opponents are only hitting .195 off of you. Bartnicki has been inconsistent, but walks haven't been his problem. I still think he's catching too much of the strike zone too often.

We have 3 starters who we can feel pretty good about in the postseason, but we don't really have a fourth guy. Cort has started all three of our midweek games and has not looked very good doing so (really surprising after how he's looked prior).

We're still second in the ACC in hitting (both AVG and OBP). We're going to be fine there.

The errors are concerning and not something I can remember us ever really being this bad at. 43 errors in 27 games is absurd. 10 of those are Malloy and like 6 are from one weekend. It's weird because he's been a defensive wizard with several top 10 plays and no errors in the games that I've watched which is about 75% of them. Waddell has 6, but he had 4 after the first week and a half.

We're at 12-9 with 5 ACC series left:
VT is 14-7 in ACC, but hasn't played a very tough conference schedule to this point
FSU is 11-10 (took 2 of 3 from VT) and has been hit or miss. Sweeping Miami and beating VT are probably their highlights.
Clemson is 9-9 and has really only beaten the bad teams
Miami is 10-10 and has really only beaten the bad teams
UNC is 11-10 and has also only really beaten the bad teams

We've also got a series with KSU mixed in there. They're 19-8 with a midweek win over UGA and a 4 game sweep of GA State.

I think we're going to be fine. We'll probably end up being one of the last 1 seeds to host a regional or a high 2 seed, which is actually a little better than I would have expected coming into the season.

We're young guys - like really young.
In the field we're starting 6 freshmen (2 first year and 4 second year), 1 sophomore, 2 juniors, and 1 senior. Other than Waddell, the meat of our order is all underclassmen.

Parada is going to win freshman of the year.

Last edited:

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like
We lose to Auburn tonight, 7-3. Rough return for Grissom.

These home losses to low RPI teams are not good for our own RPI. Auburn was higher than #100 coming into tonight; we drop from #51 to #59 with the loss tonight. But the RPI is wonky this year, since OOC games are more of a rarity.

"We'll probably end up being one of the last 1 seeds to host a regional or a high 2 seed" - I don't see any way that's true at this point.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
We lose to Auburn tonight, 7-3. Rough return for Grissom.

These home losses to low RPI teams are not good for our own RPI. Auburn was higher than #100 coming into tonight; we drop from #51 to #59 with the loss tonight. But the RPI is wonky this year, since OOC games are more of a rarity.

"We'll probably end up being one of the last 1 seeds to host a regional or a high 2 seed" - I don't see any way that's true at this point.
Who said that about being a low 1 or a high 2? I’m not sure I’d bet on being a postseason team at all at this point.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
The incomparable Danny Hall sure had his team ready to play last night.

Tech falls to 7-9 at home this year, and 0-3 in last three mid week games. Looks like uga will sweep Hall and his Jackets again this year. No mid week pitcher.

Last edited:

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
Turn around can happen. But, a 15-13 team is going nowhere. I think we have 21 more to play and I would think we have to go at least 12-9 to be on the bubble for a bid. We will be playing some teams that are right where we are - traditionally strong teams that are struggling close to .500. Both will be hungry for wins when we play.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Turn around can happen. But, a 15-13 team is going nowhere. I think we have 21 more to play and I would think we have to go at least 12-9 to be on the bubble for a bid. We will be playing some teams that are right where we are - traditionally strong teams that are struggling close to .500. Both will be hungry for wins when we play.
Here’s what is left:
at Georgia St
Kennesaw St x3
at Ga
Ga

at VT x3
FSU x3
Clemson x3
at Miami x3
N Carolina x3

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
You guys are too dramatic. Midweek games can barely be taken seriously. Grissom threw his first 2 college innings in the start last night.

Our remaining schedule has mostly teams that are traditionally big names that are having worse seasons than us for the most part. VT is the outlier and they are having a good season, but haven't played the beef of the conference yet.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
This.

The thing that I like about us is that ups and downs are expected with youth. Don't want to say we're "due," but combine the fact that we have been experiencing those "downs" after mostly "ups" to start the season and the fact that our youth is continuously gaining experience, I like our chances.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
For those of you too lazy to click:

Knoxville, Tenn.
1. (9) Tennessee
2. Georgia Tech
3. Liberty
4. Stony Brook

Weird. A 2 seed. Who woulda thought?

I still think there's a decent chance we can right the ship, win most of the remaining series, and grab a 1 though. The only thing that sucks is that I think they are predetermining regional/super regional sites and I think that's happening soon, so we could actually end up a 1 and not host or we could host and not get a 1 if there's a 1 projected 1 seed in a situation where they can't accommodate a crowd yet or have some other reasoning for not hosting.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
We close out with some easy ACC teams. Wouldn’t be surprised with a 12-3 finish. Ceiling is probably 13-2 floor 8-7. We got this.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
We close out with some easy ACC teams. Wouldn’t be surprised with a 12-3 finish. Ceiling is probably 13-2 floor 8-7. We got this.
I’m positive the incomparable Danny Hall will lead his GT blue jackets to the Regionals, breeze through them again, advance to the Super Regionals, and make an appearance in the CWS. :bigthumbup:

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
Small ball kills the the rally again after lead off double by wilhite is wasted as the bat is taken out of the hands of our best hitter Waddell.
:deadhorse:

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
Small ball kills the the rally again after lead off double by wilhite is wasted as the bat is taken out of the hands of our best hitter Waddell.
:deadhorse:
There isn’t much I agree with you on but this would be one of them.

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
I got depressed after the 4-spot following more errors and turned it off. Needless to say I won’t be turning it back on considering the quick turnaround by the Jackets.