2021 Beesball

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Those look more like inside pitches than nasty breaking balls to me.
I mean they're both both of those things imo. Not mutually exclusive. I'm guessing he was ahead in the count on both and purposely buried them in off the plate to try to get a swinging strike three or weak contact. Both balls dropped off the table pretty sharply.

The nastiest breaking balls usually aren't strikes.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
From D1Baseball's Weekly Chat today:
Paul: What will it take for Georgia Tech to get back into the top 25!
Aaron Fitt: Jackets are very close — if we had a couple open spots this week, they probably would have gotten back in, along with Nebraska. That was a huge series win. It’s been an uneven road, but heck, playing two extra weekends in the ACC created a ridiculous grind for all those teams. Give GT credit for sitting 14-10 in the league. Still a lot to like about that club.
...Hopefully the committee will consider all the extenuating circumstances facing teams in a variety of conferences through no fault of their own — the ACC having to play 36 conference games instead of 30 has crushed those teams, ...
Irish Fan: Did ACC create an RPI/SOS issue for itself by not playing more non conference games? Seem to be bunched up in 50-60 RPI range. Irish have only played 2 non conference games and have 70+ SOS.
Aaron Fitt: No question about it. The ACC did not devise this schedule with postseason selection in mind, of course — this was purely a COVID-related measure. But man is that schedule crushing the league.
WisCockSin: L’ville seems to be ranked quite a bit above schools like South Carolina and Ole Miss with similar records and much better records. What’s the reasoning behind this? Do you think they’re in line for a top 8 seed or even a hosting opportunity ahead of those schools?
Aaron Fitt: Louisville is a weird team with a weird resumé — some head-scratching losses in midweek action and early in the season, but heck they’re 14-6 in the ACC, and I will keep saying this, the ACC is a serious grind this year with those two extra weeks of conference play. Frankly we don’t know what to make of that team right now, they have some flaws and some injuries, but 14-6 in the ACC still holds some weight.
Adam: Despite winning the midweek game against Florida Gulf Coast and sweeping Clemson I still see Miami as a team that is scuffling should I be really concerned that they will yet again miss being in the field of 64
Aaron Fitt: Oh, I’m not concerned at all about Miami missing regionals. At 13-10 in the ACC with a series win in Gainesville, Miami’s postseason resumé is strong. It’s closer to a hosting resumé than a non-field of 64 resumé.
A lot of you should probably read that last one. We're 14-10, so what he's saying there similarly holds true for us (as I've been saying all along).

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
From D1Baseball's Weekly Chat today:

A lot of you should probably read that last one. We're 14-10, so what he's saying there similarly holds true for us (as I've been saying all along).
I’m glad Fitt said what we’ve all been thinking. It wasn’t just that they added 6 conferences games, but they also took away 6 total games from the schedule in dropping down to a 50-game slate. So while the SEC teams got 26 games to build a non-conference cushion, ACC teams got a max of 14.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
ACC Standings
Atlantic

1. Louisville 14-6
2. Notre Dame 16-7
3. Florida State 13-11
4. NC State 9-12
5. Clemson 9-12
6. Wake Forest 6-14
7. Boston College 5-16
Coastal
1. Virginia Tech 15-9
2. Pitt 14-10
3. Georgia Tech 14-10
4. Miami 13-10
5. North Carolina 13-12

6. Virginia 9-15
7. Duke 8-14

Bolded teams are who we have left. Still some work to do, but winning 3 of these 4 would be great.
How does UNC have 25 ACC games played?

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
First midweek win since February, and just the second of the year, 7-2 against Ga State. But to show how the schedule has victimized ACC teams, this was only the 8th non conference game to be played and only 5 are left.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
First midweek win since February, and just the second of the year, 7-2 against Ga State. But to show how the schedule has victimized ACC teams, this was only the 8th non conference game to be played and only 5 are left.
Including tonight, we've only played 5 midweek games and we're 2-3... I'm sure you know that, but you're post just sounds a little more dramatic than it really is.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Including tonight, we've only played 5 midweek games and we're 2-3... I'm sure you know that, but you're post just sounds a little more dramatic than it really is.
“But to show how the schedule has victimized ACC teams, this was only the 8th non conference game.”

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
“But to show how the schedule has victimized ACC teams, this was only the 8th non conference game.”
First midweek win since February, and just the second of the year...
I can read. What's the point of including the first point and following with the second?

Regardless, glad we could get another potential 4th starter in there tonight to see what he could do. A little surprised not to see Roedig though. Coming into the season, I felt good about our SP with Roedig being our 4th. Unfortunate to see him struggle so much after showing so much promise previously. Several sites had him as a draft prospect coming in. Seems like the 4th pitcher in a postseason scenario would be Grissom or Siegel at this point. I like what I've seen from both. Siegel had a couple of rough nights, but has looked decent overall and Grissom is still green, but has showed a lot of promise.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
I can read. What's the point of including the first point and following with the second?

Regardless, glad we could get another potential 4th starter in there tonight to see what he could do. A little surprised not to see Roedig though. Coming into the season, I felt good about our SP with Roedig being our 4th. Unfortunate to see him struggle so much after showing so much promise previously. Several sites had him as a draft prospect coming in. Seems like the 4th pitcher in a postseason scenario would be Grissom or Siegel at this point. I like what I've seen from both. Siegel had a couple of rough nights, but has looked decent overall and Grissom is still green, but has showed a lot of promise.
The context of the post was “here’s a fact and here’s why there haven’t been many opportunities” not “here’s a fact and it’s because Tech sucks.” I assume you thought I was saying Tech blows in the midweek in the post. I wasn’t. We’ve railed on the schedule all year, and that was another opportunity.

On the pitching staff, I can only assume Roedig just isn’t healthy to look as rough as he has. With bullpen uncertainty and now Hurter uncertainty as of last week, I would imagine Grissom becomes either the #3 starter, or if Hurter is fine, a back end of the bullpen piece. He definitely has the stuff to close games. And with only 2 midweek games left now, I guess just piece those together as best as possible with whoever is fresh from the previous weekend. Yeah, it’s GA, but it’s all about conference play at this point. Can’t slip up in that Kennesaw series though either.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
The context of the post was “here’s a fact and here’s why there haven’t been many opportunities” not “here’s a fact and it’s because Tech sucks.” I assume you thought I was saying Tech blows in the midweek in the post. I wasn’t. We’ve railed on the schedule all year, and that was another opportunity.

On the pitching staff, I can only assume Roedig just isn’t healthy to look as rough as he has. With bullpen uncertainty and now Hurter uncertainty as of last week, I would imagine Grissom becomes either the #3 starter, or if Hurter is fine, a back end of the bullpen piece. He definitely has the stuff to close games. And with only 2 midweek games left now, I guess just piece those together as best as possible with whoever is fresh from the previous weekend. Yeah, it’s GA, but it’s all about conference play at this point. Can’t slip up in that Kennesaw series though either.
First good post this week, and just the second of this thread. But to show how the thread has developed, this was only your fifth overall post in the past two weeks and you only have four left this season.

Just seems like a silly way to try to get across a point. Reads like something from the National Inquirer. Just my opinion, but to each their own.

I think Hurter was just sick last weekend. Don't think it was an injury or anything. If he is injured, that'd be a big blow to our postseason. Archer, Crawford, and some combo of Smith/Grissom/Siegel for 3/4 would likely mean a lot of bullpen action and that would not be good for us. Hurter isn't only our best pitcher, but he's also a pretty reliable workhorse who we can count on to get pretty deep in games. That 3/4 combo would likely lead to at least one game where we have to go to the pen in the 4th or 5th inning and more than likely would be both games. Who knows though, there's always at least one guy in the postseason who surprises you. Would love for that guy to be on our team this year.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Updated D1Baseball Projected Field of 64 from yesterday has us as the 2 in Austin.

1. Texas (9)
2. Georgia Tech
3. Louisiana
4. Stony Brook

They're projecting 9 SEC teams and 8 ACC teams with Clemson as one of the "First Five Out."

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
First good post this week, and just the second of this thread. But to show how the thread has developed, this was only your fifth overall post in the past two weeks and you only have four left this season.

Just seems like a silly way to try to get across a point. Reads like something from the National Inquirer. Just my opinion, but to each their own.

I think Hurter was just sick last weekend. Don't think it was an injury or anything. If he is injured, that'd be a big blow to our postseason. Archer, Crawford, and some combo of Smith/Grissom/Siegel for 3/4 would likely mean a lot of bullpen action and that would not be good for us. Hurter isn't only our best pitcher, but he's also a pretty reliable workhorse who we can count on to get pretty deep in games. That 3/4 combo would likely lead to at least one game where we have to go to the pen in the 4th or 5th inning and more than likely would be both games. Who knows though, there's always at least one guy in the postseason who surprises you. Would love for that guy to be on our team this year.
What a strange, absurd hill to die on parsing the language of an innocuous two-sentence post to this degree.

On actual baseball stuff, I agree entirely with your assessment.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
Bats died again. Only four hits. Tech loses 9-0. Seems like this is happening every other game now. :eek2:

Tech falls to 7-10 at home. Yet 11-5 on the road. What's up with that?

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Bats died again. Only four hits. Tech loses 9-0. Seems like this is happening every other game now. :eek2:

Tech falls to 7-10 at home. Yet 11-5 on the road. What's up with that?
Scheduling shenanigans.

Gobees

Flats Noob
Defense is pathetic. Really disappointing this year. Not P-5 caliber at all.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense is pathetic. Really disappointing this year. Not P-5 caliber at all.
E-5 in 4th leads to 4 runs. Again. That’s 13 on the year for the Tech 3rd baseman. He had another yesterday among the three errors total on Friday. It's as if he forgets how to throw a baseball at times. :eek2:

Last edited:

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
It appears from the standings that we are a safe bet to make the ACC tournament. Maybe we will peak there as we have in the past.

Never realized that Syracuse did not have a baseball team.