2021 Beesball

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Went to a new barbershop today and they were talking GT Baseball beating UGA earlier this week

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
These games mean more to Kennesaw. There is nothing to be gained by playing a smaller school in Georgia. Yet we continue to do this in multiple sports.
There isn’t much of an alternative in Covid and budget scheduling. But say this for Kennesaw, they won a Regional in the last decade and neither of the two major schools has.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
There isn’t much of an alternative in Covid and budget scheduling. But say this for Kennesaw, they won a Regional in the last decade and neither of the two major schools has.
I would prefer to play a team from a neighboring state rather than a Georgia team. The budget costs would not be significantly more.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
E-5 (again)leads to 3 runs for Kennesaw in the bottom of the 7th, after Tech had cut the lead to 5-4 in the top. Kennesaw goes up 8-4.
Game over. Tech loses 10-5. League leading 15th error for the Tech 3rd baseman. :eek2:

With the series loss to Kennesaw, Tech has now lost four of its last five weekend series. Meanwhile, Clemson has taken the series from #7 Louisville this weekend, after sweeping Wake last weekend, and Miami the week before. Look for a red hot Clemson team to come into the Rusty "C" this weekend and make mince meat out of Danny Hall's stumbling blue jackets. :eekfacepalm:

Last edited:

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Teams like Clemson, Virginia and NC State are really surging right now, so Tech needs to be careful. As good as 2019 was before the disappointment against Auburn, it is Hall’s only good regular season in a long time. That is the only time he has finished .500 or better in league since 2013. And it’s probably going to take a few games over .500 in ACC to make regionals this year.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
E-5 (again)leads to 3 runs for Kennesaw in the bottom of the 7th, after Tech had cut the lead to 5-4 in the top. Kennesaw goes up 8-4.
Game over. Tech loses 10-5. League leading 15th error for the Tech 3rd baseman. :eek2:

With the series loss to Kennesaw, Tech has now lost four of its last five weekend series. Meanwhile, Clemson has taken the series from #7 Louisville this weekend, after sweeping Wake last weekend, and Miami the week before. Look for a red hot Clemson team to come into the Rusty "C" this weekend and make mince meat out of Danny Hall's stumbling blue jackets. :eekfacepalm:
When does Hall realize we need a new third baseman?

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like
I got out to the game on Saturday with my oldest son. It was his first GT sporting event and he’s 1-0.

But this is another bad series loss. What do y’all think we have to do to get to the tournament? I believe hosting a regional is out of the question at this point. We’re at 21-18 overall, 15-12 in the ACC.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
I got out to the game on Saturday with my oldest son. It was his first GT sporting event and he’s 1-0.

But this is another bad series loss. What do y’all think we have to do to get to the tournament? I believe hosting a regional is out of the question at this point. We’re at 21-18 overall, 15-12 in the ACC.
26-23, 20-16 ACC minimum probably. Tech just isn’t winning a lot of key series this year. At Virginia Tech was good at the time, but they are now in free fall. Other than that, the two at the beginning of the year I guess were the only good ones.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
The only really relevant piece from this week's D1B chat:
RFBleacherCreature: Well that was certainly a shocking development in TigerTown, SC this weekend. The ACC is really just continuing to show there are a lot of good but not elite teams, and that Caden Grice dude is a baaaaaad man. With Clemson’s remaining ACC schedule @GT, @FSU, Duke and home games in the midweek vs. Upstate and South Carolina, what is the formula for the Tigers to get in the tournament? Is there any way they get completely off the bubble and are safely in?

Aaron Fitt: Feels to me like there’s just not a lot of big-time pitching in the ACC, and that’s the biggest reason everybody is beating up on each other. Clemson is suddenly in very good shape again at 15-12 in the league; I’ve been saying all along that any team that goes .500 in a 36-game ACC grind should be safe, and I still feel that way. So for Clemson, that means going at least 3-6 down the stretch. I will say that losing the last three series could undermine that “going .500 should be enough” theory, because the committee does look at momentum over the final 15 games, and losing the last three series would not be a good idea.
We're at 15-12 in conference play right now. We still have
Clemson
@ Miami
UNC

3-6 would put us at 18-18. Like he said though, the committee looks at momentum and 3-6 in those last three combined with our past few weekends would not put us in good shape. Hopefully we can get hot at the right time and right the ship.

Other tidbits
Reid: UNC had a rough week. How exactly do they need to finish in order to make the field?

Kendall Rogers: Reid — I’ll let Aaron chime in on this as well, but sitting 14-16 in league with two series remaining, I think the Tar Heels need to take both series to feel good going into the ACC tournament. If they split the series and don’t get swept and don’t sweep, that would put them at 17-20 entering the ACC tourney. That might still get them in, but it would be very close. The fact the ACC is playing more games than the SEC, for instance, SHOULD and could factor into the equation.

Aaron Fitt: Actually it would be 17-19, and I think that should be enough to get an ACC team in at the end of a 36-game grind — but the fact that the Heels are currently below .500 overall really undermines their chances, even though the committee has waved the winning record requirement this year if I recall.

Kendall Rogers: Correct. 500 record is not required this year.
PaBaseballfan: Pitt probably a lock for a 2 seed at this point or do they still have a chance at getting a top 16 host? Rpi has stayed steady missed a big op with the Louisville series but is there a way with 46 submitted host locations that they could get a bid? Thanks guys! And also a follow up are they just announcing the 20 potential locations on the 10th or will it be the top 16 hosts on the 10th?

Aaron Fitt: We actually had Pitt as a host last week even coming off a canceled weekend, because other host candidates had faltered and we liked Pitt’s body of work (five pretty darn good series wins on that resumé) and geographic location. A two-week pause right in the heart of the season certainly complicates things, but I think Pitt is still right in the thick of the race, and if it can at least take two of three vs. BC this weekend, it has a shot to be one of the 20 potential hosts announced next weekend (it will be narrowed again to 16 later).
ClemsonSam: Where does Virginia stack up in your postseason projections? The start was tumultuous and obviously surprising, but the Hoos are finding themselves now and seem to be peaking at a great time.

Aaron Fitt: I definitely agree with you that the Cavaliers are finding themselves and peaking at the right time. I wrote a lengthy piece about UVa this morning after seeing the win in Blacksburg last night, and I broke down their postseason chances. Check it out on the site!

Last edited:

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
Just got an e-mail about expanded capacity for the rest of the season (Clemson series, U[sic]GA, UNC series), so single game tix are going on sale. Hopefully I can make it out to a game to see the new facility.

JRjr

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Latest D1Baseball field of 64 project has us as the 3 in Nashville. Hope that one doesn't come to fruition.

NASHVILLE
1. Vanderbilt (2)
2. Old Dominion
3. Georgia Tech
4. Wofford

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
ACC Postseason Write Up from D1Baseball

ACC (9 bids)
SAFELY IN: Notre Dame, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami

ON THE BUBBLE (IN): NC State, Clemson

ON THE BUBBLE (OUT): North Carolina, Virginia

CLEMSON: One change from last week: Clemson returns to our field of 64, replacing North Carolina. The Tigers made a huge move by sweeping Louisville at home (the first time the Cardinals have been swept by anybody since 2011). At 15-12 in the ACC, Clemson is suddenly in good shape for an at-large, but its next two weekends are challenging and crucial: at Georgia Tech, at Florida State, with tough midweek games sprinkled in against USC Upstate and South Carolina. There’s plenty of room for Clemson’s fortunes to shift in either direction down the stretch, but we like its trajectory.

UVA: Remember, RPI doesn’t really matter in the ACC this year, which is playing 36 games of a 50-game schedule in conference, leading to a lack of cross-pollination (which is essential for the RPI to matter). So we’re mostly bearing down on conference records and head-to-head results, and ultimately we believe any team that finishes with a .500 record over a grueling 36-game ACC slate deserves an at-large bid. Even getting to 17-19 would give a team a chance, which is why Virginia is still in the hunt at 13-17, with favorable series left vs. Wake Forest and at Boston College. The Cavaliers have won four of their last five series, including huge road series wins at Clemson, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech, but they still have no margin for error. They’re right in the mix, but they must win four of their last six games to have any shot at an at-large; five of six would likely get them in.

UNC: North Carolina’s roller coaster season continues, as UNC followed up a big series win against Miami by getting swept on the road at Notre Dame. UNC is now just 20-21 overall and 14-16 in the ACC, putting them clearly on the wrong side of the bubble, even though the committee has eliminated the requirement for all at-large teams to have a winning overall record this year (we still would be shocked if any team with a losing overall record gets a bid). UNC’s brutal finishing stretch doesn’t let up: it hosts Louisville next weekend and then finishes at Georgia Tech. The Heels control their own destiny; win those two series and they’re in. But we’re not feeling great about their chances.

NCST: We do like NC State’s chances. The Wolfpack took two of three at Wake Forest to climb above .500 in the league at 14-13. NCSU’s final two weekends aren’t easy — at Pitt, vs. Florida State — but we like the team’s trajectory and believe in its talent. Splitting those last two series should get the Wolfpack into regionals easily; going 2-4 to finish at 16-17 would land it on the bubble but give it a chance.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Latest D1Baseball field of 64 project has us as the 3 in Nashville. Hope that one doesn't come to fruition.
The way that the baseball committee relies on driving distance has never worked out well for Tech in these things. Every road one seems to be at Florida or Vanderbilt.

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
The way that the baseball committee relies on driving distance has never worked out well for Tech in these things. Every road one seems to be at Florida or Vanderbilt.
Tech road regionals since 2012:

2012 Gainsville, Florida
2013 Nashville, Tennessee (defeated Vanderbilt 1-0 with Heddinger pitching, before eventually being eliminated)
2014 Oxford, Mississippi (Tech did not play Ole Miss, being eliminated early by lower seeds)
2015 No regional
2016 Gainsville, Florida
2017 No regional
2018 No regional
2019 Atlanta regional, lost to Auburn

FHstinger

Jolly Good Fellow
Dumb Danny Hall back to his small ball loser strategy. Takes the bat out Tech’s hottest hitter, Tres Gonzolas batting .311, after Waddell’s lead off single in the bottom of the 7th. Rally killed. Tech gets no runs. :eekfacepalm:

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Dumb Danny Hall back to his small ball loser strategy. Takes the bat out Tech’s hottest hitter, Tres Gonzolas batting .311, after Waddell’s lead off single in the bottom of the 7th. Rally killed. Tech gets no runs. :eekfacepalm:
Sac bunting at this point in time has pretty much been exposed as something that costs you more runs than it earns you. Especially since it’s only the 7th and with Gonzales as you said. Sac bunting 2nd to 3rd is one thing, but data shows the 1st to 2nd sac bunt is now officially a losing play over large samples.