2021 Beesball

Gobees

Flats Noob
That sucks after missing all last season.

As an ex-player, I hope I can score seats to a couple of games. Would hate to miss two full seasons in a row.
F*** COVID and the WHO

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Hurter looked like he had decent stuff but very rusty. Bats showed up big after a sluggish start. Seemed very aggressive the first few innings which is odd for a Ramsey-coached team. Wins a win!

The Jacket

The Coat
Missed all but the very end of the opener. Looking forward to today's game though.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Hurter looked like he had decent stuff but very rusty. Bats showed up big after a sluggish start. Seemed very aggressive the first few innings which is odd for a Ramsey-coached team. Wins a win!
I had the same thought about Hurter. Hopefully he knocks the rust off quickly with ACC play starting so soon.

Didn't get to watch today's game, but we lost. I figure it could take a few games for this team to get a feel for what it's got though with all the youth and depth. Cautiously optimistic about this season and VERY optimistic for the next few with the past two recruiting classes.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
I had the same thought about Hurter. Hopefully he knocks the rust off quickly with ACC play starting so soon.

Didn't get to watch today's game, but we lost. I figure it could take a few games for this team to get a feel for what it's got though with all the youth and depth. Cautiously optimistic about this season and VERY optimistic for the next few with the past two recruiting classes.
Well we’ve given up 15 runs to an OVC team with what’s supposed to be the deepest staff we’ve had in a long while. And still making dumb mistakes all over the field defensively.

Coach’s son has picked up right where he left of the first third of last season too. Unable to do anything at the plate.

Obviously worth waiting a few weeks to see how the team settles in. Maybe I look stupid by April with Hurter, Archer, and a healthy Roedig all mowing people down. But hard not to slip into thinking this might be the same old CDH team. Crazy talented, giants at the plate, with mediocre pitching, and not built to last the gauntlet of a regional.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Well we’ve given up 15 runs to an OVC team with what’s supposed to be the deepest staff we’ve had in a long while. And still making dumb mistakes all over the field defensively.

Coach’s son has picked up right where he left of the first third of last season too. Unable to do anything at the plate.

Obviously worth waiting a few weeks to see how the team settles in. Maybe I look stupid by April with Hurter, Archer, and a healthy Roedig all mowing people down. But hard not to slip into thinking this might be the same old CDH team. Crazy talented, giants at the plate, with mediocre pitching, and not built to last the gauntlet of a regional.
Tech teams that were built to last the gauntlet of a regional and had home field advantage haven’t been able to find a way to do it, so it’s not like this one could be any more disappointing if they don’t either. It’ll happen eventually I guess like it did in the early part of the 2000s. Someone would have to check, but I’m pretty sure no other team has lost 4 home regionals in a row.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like

9 of those runs were given up by 2 RPs in 1.2 innings. Not making an excuse just pointing out the obvious - as a whole the staff has been pretty solid so far. Also in the shortened season of 2020 EKU was 15th in the country in runs scored with 8.4 per game (though they did only score 7 over a 3 game series with LSU).

gtrower

Dodd-Like
9 of those runs were given up by 2 RPs in 1.2 innings. Not making an excuse just pointing out the obvious - as a whole the staff has been pretty solid so far. Also in the shortened season of 2020 EKU was 15th in the country in runs scored with 8.4 per game (though they did only score 7 over a 3 game series with LSU).
Valid points. Probably a little on tilt after a frustrating loss. And a frustrating GT baseball decade.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Valid points. Probably a little on tilt after a frustrating loss. And a frustrating GT baseball decade.
For all the frustrations that were the 2010s, especially 2014-2018 or so, GT baseball seems like it’s back on a decent path. Maybe not Omaha, but at least steadily making regionals again. Even if that is part of the problem. But I can live with that, whereas basketball is still lost and I’m not sure football is close either.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
For all the frustrations that were the 2010s, especially 2014-2018 or so, GT baseball seems like it’s back on a decent path. Maybe not Omaha, but at least steadily making regionals again. Even if that is part of the problem. But I can live with that, whereas basketball is still lost and I’m not sure football is close either.
No F that. We going to Nebraska!!!

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Why not change pitchers before it gets that bad?

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Why not change pitchers before it gets that bad?
That seems like an oversimplification of the game ...

It's the first weekend of the season and they were 2nd year freshmen who barely got innings last season. I'd rather get them their innings and let them get over their humps in a meaningless series against EKU the first weekend of the season than in ACC series (which start week 2 this season). That is not a CDH thing or even just a college baseball thing - you ALWAYS stretch out your pitchers early in the season rather than later. You'd rather them have to battle through rough outings and get the experience early in the season than come in with little to no experience in later games that actually matter. That is even more the case when the pitchers in question are young and you think that you're going to be relying on them often when things really get moving.

I'm not a CDH super fan, but I'm not a CDH super hater either. I have no problem with leaving those guys in this early in the season though. I suspect Borrell is making that call (though obviously CDH can overrule). Borrell has quite the resume and kinda knows what he's doing.

I suspect Borrell and Ramsey have more say on the offense and pitching than any past asst coaches have and I think that's going to show as the season progresses. I don't think there's a better duo of asst coaches in the country. Relax and settle in. I think we're finally going to see some progress and get back to Omaha soon.

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
I will say that the addition of all of the notecards on wristbands and belts annoys the crap out of me, but I realize I'm so far removed from my playing days that maybe I'm just an old fogey now.

Our pitchers are even wearing them and getting the signs directly from Pinkham rather than the catchers even giving a sign.

And then there's Waddell who looks like he has a giant notecard belt buckle...

I get it that these things are becoming more commonplace in today's game (and to some extent they existed before, but not to this extreme), but all of it just seems a little much to me.

Last edited:

Vespidie

I'm your Huckleberry
I will say that the addition of all of the notecards on wristbands and belts annoys the crap out of me, but I realize I'm so far removed from my playing days that maybe I'm just and old fogey now.

Our pitchers are even wearing them and getting the signs directly from Pinkham rather than the catchers even giving a sign.

And then there's Waddell who looks like he has a giant notecard belt buckle...

I get it that these things are becoming more commonplace in today's game (and to some extent they existing before, but not to this extreme), but all of it just seems a little much to me.
Coaches want to control too much of the game, rather than putting the onus on the players to PLAY the game. The fact that coaches feel a need to call every pitch, rather than letting a pitcher/catcher decide is mind numbing. Let the players play the game. IMO, one of the biggest problems are the consistently high number of walks given up while trying to be too darn fine with the pitches being called for by the coaches. Pitchers must throw strikes....period. Make the opposing team put the ball in play, so you can make plays. Early on, pitchers should always have the upper hand, especially with the cooler temps.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Coaches want to control too much of the game, rather than putting the onus on the players to PLAY the game. The fact that coaches feel a need to call every pitch, rather than letting a pitcher/catcher decide is mind numbing. Let the players play the game. IMO, one of the biggest problems are the consistently high number of walks given up while trying to be too darn fine with the pitches being called for by the coaches. Pitchers must throw strikes....period. Make the opposing team put the ball in play, so you can make plays. Early on, pitchers should always have the upper hand, especially with the cooler temps.
I mean, I agree with you in principal, BUT I think the reason they do it has less to do with "control" and more to do with advanced statistics and research of players/teams tendencies and strengths/weaknesses. I'm a nerd just like the rest of us on here probably are, so part of me is interested and understands the background research that has become part of today's game. HOWEVER, part of me kind of sees it how I think that you see it - in that, it's still just baseball.

I fight with myself on the topic of the modernization of baseball and advanced metrics all the time, but part of me, like you, wants to just see the players play without all of the extra crap that's involved in today's game. I think there has to be some middle ground where the research is done and taken into consideration, but the way it's implemented doesn't have to be so egregious. At least we aren't playing shifts for every other batter like some teams in the pros. I wouldn't be surprised if that came soon too though.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Needed that series win. Lot of ranked teams dropped at least 1 this weekend.

Indeed. #1 UF, #2 UCLA, and #3 Texas Tech all lost their opening series.

RANKTEAMOVERALL RECORDRESULTS
1Florida1-2Miami: W 7-5, L 10-9, L 8-6
2UCLA1-2San Francisco: L 6-2, W 8-2, L 8-3
3Texas Tech0-2Arkansas L 13-9, Ole Miss L 5-4
4Vanderbilt0-0PPD vs. Wright State (Monday games)
5Louisville3-0Bellarmine: W 5-1, W 13-1, W 8-3
6Ole Miss2-0TCU W 7-3, Texas Tech W 5-4
7Mississippi State1-1Texas W 8-3, TCU L 3-2
8ArkansasTBA
9TexasTBA
10TCU1-1Ole Miss L 7-3, Mississippi State W 3-2
11UC Santa Barbara2-1Santa Clara: L 8-4, W 9-6, W 5-4
12LSU1-1Air Force: W 6-1, L 6-5
13NC State2-0Davidson: W 13-3, W 6-4
14West Virginia2-2at Georgia State: W 5-3, L 7-6, L 20-4, W 3-2
15Georgia Tech2-1Eastern Kentucky: W 12-6, L 9-6, W 7-1
16Virginia2-1UConn: W 2-1, L 10-9, W 4-2