2021 Beesball

gtrower

Dodd-Like

Indeed. #1 UF, #2 UCLA, and #3 Texas Tech all lost their opening series.

RANKTEAMOVERALL RECORDRESULTS
1Florida1-2Miami: W 7-5, L 10-9, L 8-6
2UCLA1-2San Francisco: L 6-2, W 8-2, L 8-3
3Texas Tech0-2Arkansas L 13-9, Ole Miss L 5-4
4Vanderbilt0-0PPD vs. Wright State (Monday games)
5Louisville3-0Bellarmine: W 5-1, W 13-1, W 8-3
6Ole Miss2-0TCU W 7-3, Texas Tech W 5-4
7Mississippi State1-1Texas W 8-3, TCU L 3-2
8ArkansasTBA
9TexasTBA
10TCU1-1Ole Miss L 7-3, Mississippi State W 3-2
11UC Santa Barbara2-1Santa Clara: L 8-4, W 9-6, W 5-4
12LSU1-1Air Force: W 6-1, L 6-5
13NC State2-0Davidson: W 13-3, W 6-4
14West Virginia2-2at Georgia State: W 5-3, L 7-6, L 20-4, W 3-2
15Georgia Tech2-1Eastern Kentucky: W 12-6, L 9-6, W 7-1
16Virginia2-1UConn: W 2-1, L 10-9, W 4-2
17Wake Forest2-1Northeastern: W 8-6, W 9-0, L 14-11
18South Carolina3-0Dayton: W 12-1, W 12-5, W 5-1
19Tennessee3-0at Georgia Southern: W 5-3, W 5-3, W 7-3
20Oklahoma State1-0at Wichita State W 3-1
21Miami2-1at Florida: L 7-5, W 10-9, W 8-6
22Arizona1-2Ball State: W 3-0, L 8-7, L 5-2
23Auburn3-0Presbyterian: W 14-3, W 6-1, W 2-1
24Florida State2-1North Florida: L 7-4, W 14-7, W 8-4
25East Carolina3-0Rhode Island: W 3-2, W 7-1, W 12-4
And ACC won all 13 series they played (looks like ND didn’t play). Including Miami over #1 UF as you mentioned.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Some stats after weekend 1

Hitting
Drew Compton: .625 avg in 8 ab's, 2 hr, 5 rbi
Luke Waddell: .417 avg in 12 ab's, 1 hr
Andrew Jenkins: .364 avg in 11 ab's
Stephen Reid: .333 avg in 12 ab's
Jake DeLeo: .500 avg in 4 ab's (1 start, but off the bench in the other 2 games)
Tres Gonzalez: .500 obp with 2 sb's

As a team: .280 avg, .402 obp, 5 hr, 5-5 in sb's, 32 lob (but only 1 dp), 8 errors which is a little concerning (including 3 from Waddell)

Pitching
Sam Crawford (Sunday starter): 6 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 0 bb
Brant Hurter (Friday starter): 4.2 IP, 1 ER, 3 k's, 3 bb
Andy Archer (Saturday starter): 3.0 IP, 1 ER, 4 k's, 2 bb
Starters combined: 13.2 IP, 2 ER = 1.32 ERA, 9 k's, 5 bb

Joseph Mannelly: 3 IP, 1 ER, 4 k's, 1 bb
Luke Bartnicki: 2 IP, 0 ER, 4 k's, 0 bb
Hugh Chapman: 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 1 bb
Zach Maxwell: 1 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 1 bb
Ben King: 1 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 0 bb
Chance Huff: 0.2 IP, 0 ER, 1 k
John Medich: 0.1 IP, 0 ER, 1 k

Really we just had the 3 guys (Finley, Roedig, and Smith) who gave up 10 ER in 3.1 IP. Otherwise our pitching was great. Other than those 3 our bullpen only gave up 1 ER in 10 IP. Would like to see more IP from Hurter and Archer as we progress, but that's typical of weekend 1. I'd expect Roedig to redeem himself as well.

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Mercer tomorrow. They went 3-0 and outscored Jackson State 33-0 this weekend.

Gobees

Flats Noob
Some stats after weekend 1

Hitting
Drew Compton: .625 avg in 8 ab's, 2 hr, 5 rbi
Luke Waddell: .417 avg in 12 ab's, 1 hr
Andrew Jenkins: .364 avg in 11 ab's
Stephen Reid: .333 avg in 12 ab's
Jake DeLeo: .500 avg in 4 ab's (1 start, but off the bench in the other 2 games)
Tres Gonzalez: .500 obp with 2 sb's

As a team: .280 avg, .402 obp, 5 hr, 5-5 in sb's, 32 lob (but only 1 dp), 8 errors which is a little concerning (including 3 from Waddell)

Pitching
Sam Crawford (Sunday starter): 6 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 0 bb
Brant Hurter (Friday starter): 4.2 IP, 1 ER, 3 k's, 3 bb
Andy Archer (Saturday starter): 3.0 IP, 1 ER, 4 k's, 2 bb
Starters combined: 13.2 IP, 2 ER = 1.32 ERA, 9 k's, 5 bb

Joseph Mannelly: 3 IP, 1 ER, 4 k's, 1 bb
Luke Bartnicki: 2 IP, 0 ER, 4 k's, 0 bb
Hugh Chapman: 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 1 bb
Zach Maxwell: 1 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 1 bb
Ben King: 1 IP, 0 ER, 2 k's, 0 bb
Chance Huff: 0.2 IP, 0 ER, 1 k
John Medich: 0.1 IP, 0 ER, 1 k

Really we just had the 3 guys (Finley, Roedig, and Smith) who gave up 10 ER in 3.1 IP. Otherwise our pitching was great. Other than those 3 our bullpen only gave up 1 ER in 10 IP. Would like to see more IP from Hurter and Archer as we progress, but that's typical of weekend 1. I'd expect Roedig to redeem himself as well.
Nice analysis. Thanks.

JuicedJacket

Varsity Lurker
When and why did Nate Mccollum step away from the team? IIRC he was supposed to play both baseball and football but was a higher recruit on the diamond.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Game is on ACCN and WatchESPN for those interested.

I forgot how crazy Roedig's windup is. Seems like a lot of extra motion for no reason, but it does give batters something not normal to deal with. Seems like the extra motion would be more room for error and more energy used per pitch, but I guess it's worked for him to this point in his career, so he's sticking with it.

Also, some of the true freshmen in the game today in Perada and DeLeo (the two highest rated freshmen). Both got some PT this weekend, but I love giving them the starts in the midweek games. Loved what I saw from DeLeo this weekend. He should move up the batting order quickly as he earns PT. Perada and Holland will probably battle all season for the main catching role. Whoever is on the losing end of that battle will likely get some starts at DH too though.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Didn’t realize it was an early start today! Good surprise. Looks like things are going well so far.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Well crap. We had a shutout going into the 9th. Medich, the grad transfer from Rhodes College, with 0.2 IP, 2 BB, 1HBP, 1 WP, 1 mashed double to center that scored 2. He also didn't look very good this weekend with 2 BB in his .1 IP. Can't blame it on youth when you're a grad transfer. Then King comes in and hits a batter and walks in a run. Luckily Bartnicki came in and got a weak fly out to end the game. Jackets win 7-3.

Perada with a coming out party game: 4-4, 1HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, and a great play on a wild pitch to get a runner at the plate. I look for him to take over the main catching role because of his bat. Holland

Reid, Compton, Gonzalez, and Waddell all had good days at the plate too.

Waddell with another error (that's 4 in 4 games), but it was a tough play and he just made a little bit too high of a throw and pulled Compton off the bag. It was initially called an out, but was overturned after review.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Well crap. We had a shutout going into the 9th. Medich, the grad transfer from Rhodes College, with 0.2 IP, 2 BB, 1HBP, 1 WP, 1 mashed double to center that scored 2. He also didn't look very good this weekend with 2 BB in his .1 IP. Can't blame it on youth when you're a grad transfer. Then King comes in and hits a batter and walks in a run. Luckily Bartnicki came in and got a weak fly out to end the game. Jackets win 7-3.

Perada with a coming out party game: 4-4, 1HR, 4 RBI, 2 R, and a great play on a wild pitch to get a runner at the plate. I look for him to take over the main catching role because of his bat. Holland

Reid, Compton, Gonzalez, and Waddell all had good days at the plate too.

Waddell with another error (that's 4 in 4 games), but it was a tough play and he just made a little bit too high of a throw and pulled Compton off the bag. It was initially called an out, but was overturned after review.
Holland playing well behind the plate too. Imagine they’ll still rotate a good bit with the other often getting the DH.

Weather looking iffy for G1 @ NCSU today at 3pm. Guessing we’ll see the game moved up or pushed to tomorrow.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
ACC opening series vs #13 NCST starts today at 3. Not sure if this one is gonna be on ACCN/WatchESPN or not. RW.com says TV: TBA stll. (Edit: The RW article about the series says ACC Network Extra, so I assume that means ACCN and WatchESPN will have it.)

NCST is 2-1. They swept a 2 game series with Davidson outscoring them 19-7. They were originally scheduled to play VMI, but looks like that one got cancelled because of COVID and they were able to get Davidson to fill the void last minute. They lost their midweek game Tuesday against UNC-Greensboro 16-13.

STARTING PITCHERS
Friday – LHP Brant Hurter vs LHP Evan Justice (NCSU - 1.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 2 K, 2 BB)
Saturday – RHP Andy Archer vs RHP Sam Highfill (NCSU - 5.0 IP, 3.60 ERA, 7 K, 0 BB)
Sunday – LHP Sam Crawford vs LHP Chris Villaman (NCSU - 3.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 5 K, 0 BB)

First impression: lots of K's, not many walks. 2 second year Freshmen in Highfill and Villaman. Neither have an ACC start under their belt, so hopefully we can get to them early and stir up those nerves. Justice is a converted reliever who doesn't look to have a ton of starting experience either.

TOP HITTERS
24 Tresh: .636 avg, 2 HR, 6 RBI
15 Jarrett: .571 avg, 2 doubles
12 Murr: .571 avg, 2 doubles, 4 RBI
14 Butler: .455 avg, 2 HR, 6 RBI, 2 SB
6 Mensik: .364 avg, 2 SB

Overall they're hitting .402 as a team, with 5 HR, and are 9-9 in stolen bases. 7 of the 9 guys in the lineup are hitting .333 or better.

"Heading into its first weekend of ACC play, NC State currently leads the league with a .402 batting average, .598 slugging percentage, .477 on-base percentage and 45 hits. The squad has tallied double-digit hits in all three games so far this season.

In the individual standings, Tresh (3rd, .626), J.T. Jarrett (T5th, .571) and Murr (T5th, .571) all rank in the top 10 in batting average. Additionally, Murr and Jarrett pace the conference with eight hits through the team's first three games of the season."

We should know a lot about this Jackets squad after this weekend. This is going to be a tough series. Just getting out with a series win would be nice.

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Holland playing well behind the plate too. Imagine they’ll still rotate a good bit with the other often getting the DH.

Weather looking iffy for G1 @ NCSU today at 3pm. Guessing we’ll see the game moved up or pushed to tomorrow.

Ah, yeah it looks like that part of my post got cut off/maybe I didn't finish my thought. Holland was supposedly the best player during fall and spring practice, and he was also a top C recruit coming in last year, so I definitely don't imagine him giving up the job that easily. Like you said, I think we see both guys getting a lot of time. I will say that as deep as we are you're going to have to stay hot to grab that DH spot. We've got some real offense on this squad.

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
T1: Well, Waddell got hit by a pitch and Malloy walked to start the game, then they moved to 2nd and 3rd with no outs on a passed ball. Unfortunately, Reid struck out looking on a ball that looked pretty low to me, Compton struck out swinging at a pitch in the dirt, and Hall struck out swinging through a fastball over the plate. If there's any good news, it's that their pitcher threw 29 pitches. 0-0.

B1: Hurter goes 3 up 3 down with 3 grounders to the left side of the infield. 10 pitches. 0-0.

T2: Parada leads off with an oppo double over the RF's head. DeLeo popped up to shallow right. Gonzales flew out to center, Parada to third on a passed ball and scores on a single up the middle by Wilhite. Waddell walks to put runner on 1st and 2nd. Malloy singles to right center scoring Wilhite. Waddell scores on wild pitch. Malloy to 2nd. Reid goes down swinging. 63 pitches through 2 for their starter. 3-0 Jackets.

B2: Hurter hit the first batter. Second batter popped up. Third batter hit a weak grounder to third that Malloy rushed the throw on and threw away to make it 2nd and 3rd, 1 out. Fourth batter grounded out to Waddell scoring the runner from third. Fifth batter struck out to end the inning. 30 pitches for Hurter. 3-1 Jackets.

T3: Compton grounded out to SS. Hall struck out swinging (surprise!). Parada stays hot with a single through the right side of the IF. DeLeo flies out to CF. 75 pitches for their starter. 3-1 Jackets.

B3: First batter flied out to LF. Second batter grounded out weakly to 2B. Third batter weak "line" out to 2B. 38 pitches for Hurter. 3-1 Jackets.

T4: Gonzalez walks. Wilhite doubles down the RF line. 2nd and 3rd, no outs. Waddell flies out to shallow LF. Malloy singles up the middle to score 2. Reid grounds into a FC. Compton strikes out swinging through a fastball. 94 pitches for their starter. Gotta be done. 5-1 Jackets.

B4: First batter grounds out to Waddell (great play by Waddell AND Compton on the scoop). Second batter strikes out. Third batter strikes out. 53 pitches for Hurter. 5-1 Jackets.

T5: New pitcher for NCST. Hall grounds out to 2B (at least he didn't K). Parada walks. Parada caught steeling on what looked like a possible missed hit and run by DeLeo. DeLeo watches strike three on the next pitch. If it was a missed sign, I wouldn't wanna be him right now. 5-1 Jackets.

B5: First batter strikes out swinging. After several bunt attempts, the second batter singles down the LF line. First hit of the game for NCST (didn't want to say anything before). Third batter strikes out swinging on the breaking ball. Fourth batter grounds out weakly to 3B. 67 pitches for Hurter. 5-1 Jackets.

T6: Gonzalez with a line drive single up the middle. Wilhite flies out to RF. After a long AB, Waddell lines out to LF (just barely missed the gap). Malloy grounds in to FC. 5-1 Jackets.

B6: First batter hits a weak grounder to Wilhite's left that he boots for the error. Second batter flies out to deep CF (pretty solid play by Hall to get there). Third batter singles through the gap in the right side of the IF. Fourth batter flies out weakly to LF. Runners advance on a wild pitch. 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. Hurter comes through with a big strike out to end the inning. He's at 87 pitches now. I'd imagine he's done for the day. 5-1 Jackets.

T7: Reid lines the ball off the top half of the LF wall. He hit it so hard that he was limited to a single. Compton strikes out for the third time today on a close pitch. Hall walks. Parada triples to deep right scoring 2. DeLeo grounds out to 2B, Parada scores. Gonzalez walks. Wilhite HBP. 8-1 Jackets.

Notes: Hurter has been money. Lots of ground balls. Breaking ball has been nasty. Should be a shutout still. Parada is as good as advertised. Defensively, Waddell has been bailed out by Compton a few times already. Not worried, but hopefully he gets back into a defensive rhythm sooner than later.

Last edited:

The Jacket

The Coat
It is pouring in Raleigh right now. I didn't realize all the wimps on Tobacco Road postponed, but we're kicking ass today and Parada just gunned down a man at second. What a throw, holy öööö.