2021 Beesball

cyptomcat

PostBot
Staff member
Just think what would happen if the FB team lost 10 straight bowl games (back in the day when we won more than 3 games a year) - coach would likely be long gone. Yet Danny Hall is still secure in his job with a comparable record.
The closest analogy is not making the Sweet 16, since only 16 teams win a regional in a tournament fashion. So, not making the Sweet 16 in the last 10 tournament appearances.

If there were only 16 bowl games, that would be similar too.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Some thoughts after sleeping that one off:
  • Some of you guys need to chill out. I don't think anybody is a huge CDH fan, but the things some of yall criticize him for makes me think you don't know much about baseball. I do hope the KSU rumor puts pressure on Stansbury to put pressure on CDH for a "signing off" plan, so that we can let Ramsey know where he stands - hopefully a "head coach in waiting" title to keep him here at a minimum.
  • As others have said, Borrell has not lived up to the hype. Going into the season I felt good about our experience and depth with a lot of arms who had showed flashes and had success. Almost all of them regressed. Too many walks and too much of the zone when we're in it. It isn't that we aren't recruiting highly rated pitchers, it's that they haven't developed once they've gotten here. That's on Borrell. We're likely losing Hurter to the draft. My guess would be Archer, Crawford, and Grissom for the weekend rotation next year. I don't hate that, but the bullpen is where everything falls apart. We don't lose anything there, but Borrell has shown us nothing to give us confidence that he can develop those guys. Bart and Maxwell were two of the most highly touted arms in their classes and they definitely have not looked like it. Bart ended the year with a 6.00 ERA. Maxwell somehow ended with a 3.09, but the way he throws leaves no confidence in the high leverage situations where we want to use him. The guy just doesn't have command of his pitches. The Medich transfer was a disaster. He didn't have great numbers at Rhodes, so I was confused as to why we brought him in in the first place. The 15.63 ERA in only 11.1 IP shows that my skepticism was on to something. Siegel showed potential. Mannelly seems like he progressing. I think Smith and Finley could both end up being nice pieces. Huff actually looked the best we've seen him this weekend. We have to develop these guys though. Hopefully they go off to summer ball and develop since we aren't having much success with that in house.
  • We're bringing a lot of the offense back next year. Waddell is most likely gone via the draft, so SS will be a key to where we're at next season. Kristian Campbell from Walton is coming in and has the pedigree. He's a PG10 and definitely looks the part. We've also got Jackson, Benson, Anderson, and Giesler on the team already who all came in as SSs. Anderson got a decent amount of playing time this season, but I believe it was all as DH. He did hit pretty well though - .277 in 47 ABs. Jackson came in and played 2B quite a bit. He did not hit as well though - .167 in 12 ABs. Benson only had 4 ABs and Giesler didn't see any time. Wilhite will be gone, so one of these guys will likely fill in at 2B. I'd be willing to bet that Campbell comes in and grabs the SS role. Hall will likely be gone, but he didn't start most of the year and obviously wasn't great when he did. We've got tons of guys I'd be comfortable with filling that role. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we've got one of the top hs hitting prospects committed in Harry Ford, but he's projected to go top 10 in the draft, so I don't think we'll see him on campus.
  • All in all, this season was a success. Yes, we would have like to have gone further, but we outperformed our pre-season projections, and despite getting a tough regional draw, we gave Vandy all they could handle. I really wish we would have saved Hurter for Vandy. Things turned out pretty well pitching-wise in game 2 anyway, but selfishly I just wanted to see that matchup and I'm sure that's the matchup Brant wanted too. It's easy to look at how he pitched in game 1 and say Vandy could've been worse, but pitching is a funny thing and your outlook on who you're throwing against and how big the game us can definitely affect how much you get up for a game and I think that may have played a role there. Who knows though. Grissom and Smith looked great in that game.

JuicedJacket

Varsity Lurker
  • Some of you guys need to chill out. I don't think anybody is a huge CDH fan, but the things some of yall criticize him for makes me think you don't know much about baseball. I do hope the KSU rumor puts pressure on Stansbury to put pressure on CDH for a "signing off" plan, so that we can let Ramsey know where he stands - hopefully a "head coach in waiting" title to keep him here at a minimum.
  • As others have said, Borrell has not lived up to the hype. Going into the season I felt good about our experience and depth with a lot of arms who had showed flashes and had success. Almost all of them regressed. Too many walks and too much of the zone when we're in it. It isn't that we aren't recruiting highly rated pitchers, it's that they haven't developed once they've gotten here. That's on Borrell. We're likely losing Hurter to the draft. My guess would be Archer, Crawford, and Grissom for the weekend rotation next year. I don't hate that, but the bullpen is where everything falls apart. We don't lose anything there, but Borrell has shown us nothing to give us confidence that he can develop those guys. Bart and Maxwell were two of the most highly touted arms in their classes and they definitely have not looked like it. Bart ended the year with a 6.00 ERA. Maxwell somehow ended with a 3.09, but the way he throws leaves no confidence is the high leverage situations where we want to use him. The guy just doesn't have command of his pitches. The Medich transfer was a disaster. He didn't have great numbers at Rhodes, so I was confused as to why we brought him in in the first place. The 15.63 ERA in only 11.1 IP shows that my skepticism was on to something. Siegel showed potential. Mannelly seems like he progressing. I think Smith and Finley could both end up being nice pieces. Huff actually looked the best we've seen him this weekend. We have to develop these guys though. Hopefully they go off to summer ball and develop since we aren't having much success with that in house.
  • We're bringing a lot of the offense back next year. Waddell is most likely gone via the draft, so SS will be a key to where we're at next season. Kristian Campbell from Walton is coming in and has the pedigree. He's a PG10 and definitely looks the part. We've also got Jackson, Benson, Anderson, and Giesler on the team already who all came in as SSs. Anderson got a decent amount of playing time this season, but I believe it was all as DH. He did hit pretty well though - .277 in 47 ABs. Jackson came in and played 2B quite a bit. He did not hit as well though - .167 in 12 ABs. Benson only had 4 ABs and Giesler didn't see any time. Wilhite will be gone, so one of these guys will likely fill in at 2B. I'd be willing to bet that Campbell comes in and grabs the SS role. Hall will likely be gone, but he didn't start most of the year and obviously wasn't great when he did. We've got tons of guys I'd be comfortable with filling that role. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we've got one of the top hs hitting prospects committed in Harry Ford, but he's projected to go top 10 in the draft, so I don't think we'll see him on campus.
  • All in all, this season was a success. Yes, we would have like to have gone further, but we outperformed our pre-season projections, and despite getting a tough regional draw, we gave Vandy all they could handle. I really wish we would have saved Hurter for Vandy. Things turned out pretty well pitching-wise in game 2 anyway, but selfishly I just wanted to see that matchup and I'm sure that's the matchup Brant wanted too. It's easy to look at how he pitched in game 1 and say Vandy could've been worse, but pitching is a funny thing and your outlook on who you're throwing against and how big the game us can definitely affect how much you get up for a game and I think that may have played a role there. Who knows though. Grissom and Smith looked great in that game.
If we can’t get Ford on campus (likely taking the money and running) should we go to the portal for a C? Is Holland coming back, I assume not

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
If we can’t get Ford on campus (likely taking the money and running) should we go to the portal for a C? Is Holland coming back, I assume not
Holland entered the transfer portal about halfway through the season, so he's gone. We've most likely only got Parada for one more year since he'll be a draft eligible sophomore next season and Turley will be a SR, so yeah we're going to need to find one somewhere.

I also don't see one on the current 2022 commit list.

This automatically defaults to 2022, but you can select 2021 if you wanna see the commits for next season:

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Parada is a freshman. If Ford actually gets here, I assume Ford and Parada would alternate between catcher and DH. That would be a nice issue to deal with.

eneq

Junior Varsity Lurker
We've also got Jackson, Benson, Anderson, and Giesler on the team already who all came in as SSs. Anderson got a decent amount of playing time this season, but I believe it was all as DH. He did hit pretty well though - .277 in 47 ABs.
CSB incoming: I grew up across the street from Anderson. He's a good kid from a great family. I look forward to watching him get more playing time moving forward.

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like
CSB incoming: I grew up across the street from Anderson. He's a good kid from a great family. I look forward to watching him get more playing time moving forward.
I was wondering if he would hit for Hall or Wilhite late last night.

georgia_tech_swagger

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I for one thought that was actually an improvement for a Danny Hall team in the regionals. I'm used to the pitching getting rocked, made worse by a refusal to change pitchers, and all kinds of fielding errors. This time it was a fielding errors in loss one and that was it. I was actually happy to see them burn pitcher after pitcher last night when I've seen Regionals and Superregionals lost time and time again by letting a pitcher stay out there 2-6 batters after even the announcers calling the game get fidgety.

The hitting is good. The recruiting is better. The fielding has improved but still needs work. The pitching during the regular season was atrocious but actually respectable on the whole in the regional. Danny Borrell has his work cut out for him. And Ramsey needs to work the magic he did for hitting on fielding.

I'm more interested in Danny Hall getting outstanding assistants for the future than achieving something himself at this point. Ramsey seems like a good option going forward for the long term. The jury is still out on Borrell.

Beeski

Damn Good Rat
I have no idea why you don’t PH for Hall when you’re tied in extras with 2 outs. He was 0-4 and had no HRs on the season. Put someone in who at least is a credible HR threat.
Loyalty to his Seniors Austin and Colin is why, I understand where he is coming from.....but after they were both 0-4 I was saying we needed to pinch hit both of them. Hell, our 2-4 hitters were 1-10 as of the 9th. Its a crap shoot. Coulda won both Vandy games.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
  • As others have said, Borrell has not lived up to the hype. Going into the season I felt good about our experience and depth with a lot of arms who had showed flashes and had success. Almost all of them regressed. Too many walks and too much of the zone when we're in it. It isn't that we aren't recruiting highly rated pitchers, it's that they haven't developed once they've gotten here. That's on Borrell. We're likely losing Hurter to the draft. My guess would be Archer, Crawford, and Grissom for the weekend rotation next year. I don't hate that, but the bullpen is where everything falls apart. We don't lose anything there, but Borrell has shown us nothing to give us confidence that he can develop those guys. Bart and Maxwell were two of the most highly touted arms in their classes and they definitely have not looked like it. Bart ended the year with a 6.00 ERA. Maxwell somehow ended with a 3.09, but the way he throws leaves no confidence in the high leverage situations where we want to use him. The guy just doesn't have command of his pitches. The Medich transfer was a disaster. He didn't have great numbers at Rhodes, so I was confused as to why we brought him in in the first place. The 15.63 ERA in only 11.1 IP shows that my skepticism was on to something. Siegel showed potential. Mannelly seems like he progressing. I think Smith and Finley could both end up being nice pieces. Huff actually looked the best we've seen him this weekend. We have to develop these guys though. Hopefully they go off to summer ball and develop since we aren't having much success with that in house.
This is a fantastic breakdown, I’ll take only one exception. No season is a success at this point for DH without winning a regional.

Last edited:

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Loyalty to his Seniors Austin and Colin is why, I understand where he is coming from.....but after they were both 0-4 I was saying we needed to pinch hit both of them. Hell, our 2-4 hitters were 1-10 as of the 9th. Its a crap shoot. Coulda won both Vandy games.
He is being paid to win and he has a responsibility to the team to use the players who maximize the chance of winning.
Most coaches avoid coaching their sons. Unless the son is a clear superstar like Pete Maravich it is a no-win situation.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Crazy way to score a run ...

BainbridgeJacket

A rare combination of humility and genius
I'll keep rooting obviously, but it would be refreshing to see us have a top 25 pitching staff and not commit so many damn errors. It's year in year out.

Vespidie

The Antivirus
Borell’s first season (last year is a wash) we saw Bartnicki get worse, Maxwell lose control, Roedig collapse, Archer not improve his 3rd pitch, Hurter not gain velocity, Dalton Smith and Crawford showed flashes but in my opinion no pitcher showed improvement this season. Recruiting looks good but that’s about it. Ramsey has done great in developing young hitters. I think Borrell is a little too new school and advanced metrics focused rather than the basics of pitching. Have to be able to box a breaking ball and spot a 0-0 fastball before you can focus on “spin rate” and “spin profile”. Not saying I’m a pitching savant but as a current Hs coach and former collegiate arm that’s my 2 ¢
Our guys inability to throw a strike when they need to throw a strike is absolutely maddening. Knowing when to hit a spot rather than just plainly throwing strikes and letting your defense make plays with a multi run lead is inexcusable. The pitching must be shored up if we ever expect to advance any farther.

Vespidie

The Antivirus
Why go to all the trouble and expense of having an ACC Network, if we can't get Tech post-season games on TV? Of course, it worked out for NC, NCS, Duke, FSU, Miami, ND... got their games. But obviously ACC and ACC Network do not care about Tech. I may switch back from Hulu to Comcast Xfinity. Our AD should not let this happen, in my opinion.
Spectrum didnt carry ACC network either. Sucks to be me.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
I'll keep rooting obviously, but it would be refreshing to see us have a top 25 pitching staff and not commit so many damn errors. It's year in year out.
2019 didn’t feel that way to me. Tristan English saved a lot of errors on throws to first, but Waddell and Wilhite were great up the middle, and sorry let’s call it what it is defensively, JH Malloy wasn’t playing 3rd that year. But since something of course had to go wrong, Curry and Hurter were lost for the season with injuries, so when Regionals rolled around, and Auburn walked off Thomas with 4 in the 9th (when English should have been in as the closer), the pitching wasn’t there for that weekend either.