2021 Beesball

BainbridgeJacket

A rare combination of humility and genius
2019 didn’t feel that way to me. Tristan English saved a lot of errors on throws to first, but Waddell and Wilhite were great up the middle, and sorry let’s call it what it is defensively, JH Malloy wasn’t playing 3rd that year. But since something of course had to go wrong, Curry and Hurter were lost for the season with injuries, so when Regionals rolled around, and Auburn walked off Thomas with 4 in the 9th (when English should have been in as the closer), the pitching wasn’t there for that weekend either.
Our ERA was 4.46 which was good for 95th. Still much better than 5.71/180... I would think you need a staff capable of sub 4.0 to really make a run.

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I always thought Hall moved from Kinkelaar too soon as pitching coach. His staff had one down year due to injuries and he was out. A couple of years later and we missed the tourney three of four years. We seem to have come back from that low point, but have yet to get over the regional hump. We had two problems that need improvement - pitching depth and fielding consistency. The pitching depth led to way too many leads being blown which affected our confidence. But, the team had a good season overall and I can’t fault their regional performance. We had two good wins over Indiana State and competed against one of the nation’s best teams really well. The two problems cost us the wins - losing game one due to errors and game two to pitching.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
2019 didn’t feel that way to me. Tristan English saved a lot of errors on throws to first, but Waddell and Wilhite were great up the middle, and sorry let’s call it what it is defensively, JH Malloy wasn’t playing 3rd that year. But since something of course had to go wrong, Curry and Hurter were lost for the season with injuries, so when Regionals rolled around, and Auburn walked off Thomas with 4 in the 9th (when English should have been in as the closer), the pitching wasn’t there for that weekend either.
I think we moved him to the OF eventually, but when Baron was starting at 3B he may have been worse than JHM.

Also, to be fair JHM made some INCREDIBLE web gems at third this season. For whatever reason he has a tendency to not make some of the easier plays. Obviously his bat plays though, so he's going to continue playing over there.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Our ERA was 4.46 which was good for 95th. Still much better than 5.71/180... I would think you need a staff capable of sub 4.0 to really make a run.
I definitely miss the late 00s when we had some damn good arms
Deck
Esch
Pope
ARob
Cump
Von Tersch
Jed

Those guys were all on the same team (2009) ...

Also, Hicks, Duncan, Burns, Rulon, Ladd, Goodman a little earlier.
Bard, Buck, Stanton, Isaacs a little after.

We had a 10ish year run where our pitching was super solid.

Gobees

Flats Noob
I think we moved him to the OF eventually, but when Baron was starting at 3B he may have been worse than JHM.

Also, to be fair JHM made some INCREDIBLE web gems at third this season. For whatever reason he has a tendency to not make some of the easier plays. Obviously his bat plays though, so he's going to continue playing over there.
This is the issue with CDH and many others in his position. Coaches don't scout fielding and throwing AT ALL. They are obsessed with exit velo, throwing velo, and in some cases speed. Those trump all else.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
This is the issue with CDH and many others in his position. Coaches don't scout fielding and throwing AT ALL. They are obsessed with exit velo, throwing velo, and in some cases speed. Those trump all else.
Meh. I have to disagree. That's just baseball. When guys hit well enough, they're going to find their way in the lineup. They definitely scout and know their defensive skills, but offense is always going to trump defense. This is why you see high school short stops getting the most offers - if they're good enough to play SS for their hs team, most of the time their glove will play anywhere (assuming their bat is on par here).

LagrangeJacket

Dodd-Like
I definitely miss the late 00s when we had some damn good arms
Deck
Esch
Pope
ARob
Cump
Von Tersch
Jed

Those guys were all on the same team (2009) ...

Also, Hicks, Duncan, Burns, Rulon, Ladd, Goodman a little earlier.
Bard, Buck, Stanton, Isaacs a little after.

We had a 10ish year run where our pitching was super solid.
I was at the game vs. Austin Peay when we lost Pope to injury in the 2nd inning, and Matthew Grimes went 7 innings in relief and gave up 2 runs. We lost 2-1. We just find a way to lose in the regionals.

coit

Smarter than Diseqc
I always thought Hall moved from Kinkelaar too soon as pitching coach. His staff had one down year due to injuries and he was out. A couple of years later and we missed the tourney three of four years. We seem to have come back from that low point, but have yet to get over the regional hump. We had two problems that need improvement - pitching depth and fielding consistency. The pitching depth led to way too many leads being blown which affected our confidence. But, the team had a good season overall and I can’t fault their regional performance. We had two good wins over Indiana State and competed against one of the nation’s best teams really well. The two problems cost us the wins - losing game one due to errors and game two to pitching.
How about when he got rid of Jeff Guy and other coaches? That was really the start of the downturn of the program don’t you think?

GTCrew4b

Get That Corn Outta Ma Face
Old Dominion has some impressive arms. No reason they should be more well equipped than a GT roster
We had a very impressive pitching performance I thought outside of the game we ran out of arms. The rain delay helped ODU. Recall that they were the “winner’s bracket”. Their game 1 starter pitched again today. Granted he only went 1 inning in Game 1.

BackstreetBuzz

GT fan for 60+ years
As info, looks like 11 of 16 #1 seeds advanced in first round. By conference, SEC 6, ACC 3, Big 12 2, PAC 2, other 3.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Parada officially a freshman all-american:
Georgia Tech baseball’s true freshman catcher Kevin Parada (Pasadena, Calif./Loyola) continues to receive recognition as one of the country’s top backstops in the nation, earning freshman all-American honors from Collegiate Baseball, it was announced Wednesday.

The Yellow Jackets’ primary catcher as a true freshman, making 51 starts, including 48 behind the dish, Parada led the ACC the entire first half of the season before cooling slightly to finish top 20 with a team-best .318. The California native is the first freshman to lead Georgia Tech in hitting since Matt Murton in 2001.

Parada also led the ACC with 20 doubles on the season, and recorded four four-hit games on the season.

Playing against one of the toughest conferences in the country, Parada hasn’t shrunk to the competition, also tops the rankings in ACC-only statistics:
  • Hits: 50 – No. 2 in ACC
  • Doubles: 14 – No. 2
  • Triples: 2 – No. 4
  • Batting Average: .352 – No. 8
Throughout the season, the true freshman catcher was lauded nationally, receiving ACC Player of the Week honors to start March as well as twice being named the Midseason Freshman of the Year by Perfect Game and D1Baseball. He was also one of just five freshmen to be named to the Buster Posey Award watch list as well as the Golden Spikes midseason watch list.

Parada was also named third-team all-ACC as well as to the ACC’s all-freshman team.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
As info, looks like 11 of 16 #1 seeds advanced in first round. By conference, SEC 6, ACC 3, Big 12 2, PAC 2, other 3.
The seeds you’d expect to struggle did. #14 Oregon, #15 Florida, #16 La Tech and #11 Old Dominion playing on the road. The only huge surprise was TCU at #6.

2019 was pretty hilarious, if you can call it that. The only 1s to lose other than #16 Oregon State were #3 Tech and #4 Georgia.

FHstinger

Helluva Engineer
The seeds you’d expect to struggle did. #14 Oregon, #15 Florida, #16 La Tech and #11 Old Dominion playing on the road. The only huge surprise was TCU at #6.

2019 was pretty hilarious, if you can call it that. The only 1s to lose other than #16 Oregon State were #3 Tech and #4 Georgia.
TCU head coach Schlossneagel left to coach Texas A&M this week after 16 years.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Vandy up 1-0 T8 over ECU. Rocker went 7.2 with 11 k, 3 h, 3bb

UPDATE: Vandy won 2-0

Last edited:

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
We were obviously in the wrong regional.
Bad luck. I believe the guys would have won the Gainesville Regional this year. IIRC, the other times Regionals were down there, Florida was the number 1 team in the country both times. Even with the errors, Tech’s performance in Nashville probably would’ve advanced through 12 or 13 of the other regional sites.