Hope the M’s try to lowball him.MLB Draft News
Our top incoming (or not) freshman for next year, Harry Ford from North Cobb, went #12 overall to the Mariners last night, so we can pretty much cross him off the list.
Other notables from the ACC, GHSA, and teams we played:
1. Henry Davis, C, Louisville to Pirates
2. Jack Leiter, RHP, Vandy to Rangers
10. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vandy (and N. Oconee HS) to Mets
11. Brady House, SS, Winder Barrow HS to Nats
12. Harry Ford, C, North Cobb to Mariners
15. Sal Frelick, CF, Boston College to Brewers
24. Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest to Braves
35. Matheu Nelson, C, FSU to Reds
Not gonna hold my breath. M's also stole a top recruit from us in 2016 when they drafted Taylor Trammell from Mt Paran in the first. He was recently called up to the big club (although sent back down pretty quickly).Hope the M’s try to lowball him.
Yeah - surprised he went that high. Expect he won’t be coming back, although Braves might have to pay over slot to make it happen.Not gonna hold my breath. M's also stole a top recruit from us in 2016 when they drafted Taylor Trammell from Mt Paran in the first. He was recently called up to the big club (although sent back down pretty quickly).
I'm a little surprised by the JHM pick. Wasn't expecting to lose him this season. Good for him though.
Nope. No recruits drafted other than Ford. FWIW the class is ranked 17th in the country with Ford.Did we have any more potential losses in rounds 11-20?
It looks like Andy Archer is heading to UHawaii. Congrats to him. That'll be an awesome place to play to wrap up his college career. Hopefully he dominates and gets drafted next year.CDH brings up a good point about losing all three infielders. Here's where we are for next season (only listing guys who played sig innings this year):
C: Parada (dreft-eligible true soph)
1B: Jenkins (covid soph) / Compton (covid soph)
2B: Jackson (covid soph)? / Anderson (true soph)?
3B: Compton (covid soph) / Jenkins (covid soph) / Anderson (true soph)? / Jackson (covid soph)?
SS: Campbell (freshman)?
OF: Gonzalez (covid soph)
OF: DeLeo (true soph)
OF: Reid (covid soph)
DH: TBD - probably whoever isn't at 1B if neither Jenkins nor Compton can handle 3B / Grenkoski (true soph)?
FRI: Crawford (rs/covid junior)
SAT: Grissom (true soph)
SUN: Smith (covid soph)?
MW: Huff (covid soph) and/or Freshmen
PEN: Bartnicki (covid junior)
PEN: Maxwell (covid soph)
PEN: Smith (covid soph)
PEN: Finley (covid soph) (assuming rehab goes well)
PEN: Siegel (covid soph)
PEN: Mannelly (rs/covid senior)
PEN: Huff (covid soph)
In the transfer portal:
- Just noticed Archer's name in the transfer portal. He's graduated and it appears that he's looking to change schools if he doesn't get picked up as an undrafted FA. Him deciding to stay would make me feel a lot better about pitching next season...
- I think there's a really good chance Campbell will be at SS next season. The other two spots will likely be filled by guys already on the team, as there aren't many other infielders in this incoming class.
- Both Jenkins and Compton were third basement in HS, so hopefully one of them can slide over to the other corner spot and man 3B.
- The OF is pretty set with Gonzalez/DeLeo/Reid. Grenkoski got a decent amount of time this season, but he scares me out there for some reason. He'll likely at least be in a rotation out there with Reid DHing some.
- Incoming freshman Carter Daniels apparently had TJ surgery and will be out all of next season. He was our top ranked pitching recruit (PG10).
- Covid soph's and Parada will be draft eligible after next season, so 2022 will be a big year for us to try to make some noise. Parada will def be gone after this season and I could see several of those other guys going.
- Cam Turley's name is no longer in the transfer portal. Not sure how to take that or what it means. He listed on the roster on RW again, which I don't think he was when his transfer announcement came earlier in the season.
- Andy Archer (P)
- Jake Holland (C)
- John Morant (OF)
- Dylan Strickland (INF)
- Cliff (Will) Shirah (P)
- Hendricks (Hank) Thomas (OF/IF)
- Spencer (Brody) Westbrooks (P)
- Tervell Johnson (OF)