2021 Beesball

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
MLB Draft News

Our top incoming (or not) freshman for next year, Harry Ford from North Cobb, went #12 overall to the Mariners last night, so we can pretty much cross him off the list.

Other notables from the ACC, GHSA, and teams we played:
1. Henry Davis, C, Louisville to Pirates
2. Jack Leiter, RHP, Vandy to Rangers
10. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vandy (and N. Oconee HS) to Mets
11. Brady House, SS, Winder Barrow HS to Nats
12. Harry Ford, C, North Cobb to Mariners
15. Sal Frelick, CF, Boston College to Brewers
24. Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest to Braves
35. Matheu Nelson, C, FSU to Reds

Beej1953

Varsity Lurker
MLB Draft News

Our top incoming (or not) freshman for next year, Harry Ford from North Cobb, went #12 overall to the Mariners last night, so we can pretty much cross him off the list.

Other notables from the ACC, GHSA, and teams we played:
1. Henry Davis, C, Louisville to Pirates
2. Jack Leiter, RHP, Vandy to Rangers
10. Kumar Rocker, RHP, Vandy (and N. Oconee HS) to Mets
11. Brady House, SS, Winder Barrow HS to Nats
12. Harry Ford, C, North Cobb to Mariners
15. Sal Frelick, CF, Boston College to Brewers
24. Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest to Braves
35. Matheu Nelson, C, FSU to Reds
Hope the M’s try to lowball him.

Buzz'n

Flats Noob
I thought Seattle gave the Mariners stadium to the CHAZ leftovers. Do they still play baseball there?

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Hope the M’s try to lowball him.
Not gonna hold my breath. M's also stole a top recruit from us in 2016 when they drafted Taylor Trammell from Mt Paran in the first. He was recently called up to the big club (although sent back down pretty quickly).

I'm a little surprised by the JHM pick. Wasn't expecting to lose him this season. Good for him though.

Beej1953

Varsity Lurker
Not gonna hold my breath. M's also stole a top recruit from us in 2016 when they drafted Taylor Trammell from Mt Paran in the first. He was recently called up to the big club (although sent back down pretty quickly).

I'm a little surprised by the JHM pick. Wasn't expecting to lose him this season. Good for him though.
Yeah - surprised he went that high. Expect he won’t be coming back, although Braves might have to pay over slot to make it happen.

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
Did we have any more potential losses in rounds 11-20?
Nope. No recruits drafted other than Ford. FWIW the class is ranked 17th in the country with Ford.

Kristian Campbell from Walton is now our top guy and will have a good shot at short.

Carter Daniels is also a PG10

As is Logan McGuire

You can see the whole class here (may have to select 2021 as the grad year as it seems to take you to 2022 initially)

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
CDH brings up a good point about losing all three infielders. Here's where we are for next season (only listing guys who played sig innings this year):

C: Parada (dreft-eligible true soph)
1B: Jenkins (covid soph) / Compton (covid soph)
2B: Jackson (covid soph)? / Anderson (true soph)?
3B: Compton (covid soph) / Jenkins (covid soph) / Anderson (true soph)? / Jackson (covid soph)?
SS: Campbell (freshman)?
OF: Gonzalez (covid soph)
OF: DeLeo (true soph)
OF: Reid (covid soph)
DH: TBD - probably whoever isn't at 1B if neither Jenkins nor Compton can handle 3B / Grenkoski (true soph)?

FRI: Crawford (rs/covid junior)
SAT: Grissom (true soph)
SUN: Smith (covid soph)?
MW: Huff (covid soph) and/or Freshmen

PEN: Bartnicki (covid junior)
PEN: Maxwell (covid soph)
PEN: Smith (covid soph)
PEN: Finley (covid soph) (assuming rehab goes well)
PEN: Siegel (covid soph)
PEN: Mannelly (rs/covid senior)
PEN: Huff (covid soph)
  • Just noticed Archer's name in the transfer portal. He's graduated and it appears that he's looking to change schools if he doesn't get picked up as an undrafted FA. Him deciding to stay would make me feel a lot better about pitching next season...
  • I think there's a really good chance Campbell will be at SS next season. The other two spots will likely be filled by guys already on the team, as there aren't many other infielders in this incoming class.
  • Both Jenkins and Compton were third basement in HS, so hopefully one of them can slide over to the other corner spot and man 3B.
  • The OF is pretty set with Gonzalez/DeLeo/Reid. Grenkoski got a decent amount of time this season, but he scares me out there for some reason. He'll likely at least be in a rotation out there with Reid DHing some.
  • Incoming freshman Carter Daniels apparently had TJ surgery and will be out all of next season. He was our top ranked pitching recruit (PG10).
  • Covid soph's and Parada will be draft eligible after next season, so 2022 will be a big year for us to try to make some noise. Parada will def be gone after this season and I could see several of those other guys going.
  • Cam Turley's name is no longer in the transfer portal. Not sure how to take that or what it means. He listed on the roster on RW again, which I don't think he was when his transfer announcement came earlier in the season.
In the transfer portal:
  • Andy Archer (P)
  • Jake Holland (C)
  • John Morant (OF)
  • Dylan Strickland (INF)
  • Cliff (Will) Shirah (P)
  • Hendricks (Hank) Thomas (OF/IF)
  • Spencer (Brody) Westbrooks (P)
  • Tervell Johnson (OF)

Last edited:

LambdaChiGT

Dodd-Like
CDH brings up a good point about losing all three infielders. Here's where we are for next season (only listing guys who played sig innings this year):

C: Parada (dreft-eligible true soph)
1B: Jenkins (covid soph) / Compton (covid soph)
2B: Jackson (covid soph)? / Anderson (true soph)?
3B: Compton (covid soph) / Jenkins (covid soph) / Anderson (true soph)? / Jackson (covid soph)?
SS: Campbell (freshman)?
OF: Gonzalez (covid soph)
OF: DeLeo (true soph)
OF: Reid (covid soph)
DH: TBD - probably whoever isn't at 1B if neither Jenkins nor Compton can handle 3B / Grenkoski (true soph)?

FRI: Crawford (rs/covid junior)
SAT: Grissom (true soph)
SUN: Smith (covid soph)?
MW: Huff (covid soph) and/or Freshmen

PEN: Bartnicki (covid junior)
PEN: Maxwell (covid soph)
PEN: Smith (covid soph)
PEN: Finley (covid soph) (assuming rehab goes well)
PEN: Siegel (covid soph)
PEN: Mannelly (rs/covid senior)
PEN: Huff (covid soph)
  • Just noticed Archer's name in the transfer portal. He's graduated and it appears that he's looking to change schools if he doesn't get picked up as an undrafted FA. Him deciding to stay would make me feel a lot better about pitching next season...
  • I think there's a really good chance Campbell will be at SS next season. The other two spots will likely be filled by guys already on the team, as there aren't many other infielders in this incoming class.
  • Both Jenkins and Compton were third basement in HS, so hopefully one of them can slide over to the other corner spot and man 3B.
  • The OF is pretty set with Gonzalez/DeLeo/Reid. Grenkoski got a decent amount of time this season, but he scares me out there for some reason. He'll likely at least be in a rotation out there with Reid DHing some.
  • Incoming freshman Carter Daniels apparently had TJ surgery and will be out all of next season. He was our top ranked pitching recruit (PG10).
  • Covid soph's and Parada will be draft eligible after next season, so 2022 will be a big year for us to try to make some noise. Parada will def be gone after this season and I could see several of those other guys going.
  • Cam Turley's name is no longer in the transfer portal. Not sure how to take that or what it means. He listed on the roster on RW again, which I don't think he was when his transfer announcement came earlier in the season.
In the transfer portal:
  • Andy Archer (P)
  • Jake Holland (C)
  • John Morant (OF)
  • Dylan Strickland (INF)
  • Cliff (Will) Shirah (P)
  • Hendricks (Hank) Thomas (OF/IF)
  • Spencer (Brody) Westbrooks (P)
  • Tervell Johnson (OF)
It looks like Andy Archer is heading to UHawaii. Congrats to him. That'll be an awesome place to play to wrap up his college career. Hopefully he dominates and gets drafted next year.

It does look like we have an incoming transfer too now: Infielder Chandler Simpson from UAB. He's a 2019 grad from St Pius who will be a covid soph. It looks like he played mostly 2B at UAB. He had 24 SB last season. Could be in line to start at 2B for us next spring.

FRESHMAN SEASON (2021)
- Named to the C-USA All-Freshman Team
- Appeared in all 54 games, making 48 starts, all at second base
- Lead the team with 24 stolen bases
- Posted a .288 batting average with 51 hits, 31 runs, two doubles and three triples
- Recorded 100 assists with 84 putouts for a .968 fielding percentage
- Had two four-hit games at Georgia Southern on March 13 and versus Middle Tennessee on March 27
- Had a pair of doubles versus Middle Tennessee on March 27
- Ranked as one of the toughest to strikeout in the country with only 16 on the season, the fewest in Conference USA

FRESHMAN SEASON (2020)
- Season cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Appeared in 14 games, making 14 starts
- Held a .256 batting average with 11 hits and 11 runs
- Recorded eight stolen bases
- Had four multi-hit games during the season

HIGH SCHOOL
- Played at St. Pius X High School in Atlanta, Ga. for coaches Chad Garrison and Andrew Mabini
- Split time at shortstop and second base
- Earned All-State and All-County honors along with earning a player of the month award
- Ranked the No. 13 shortstop and No. 73 overall player in the state of Georgia by Perfect Game
- Also played for the Brookhaven Bucks of the Sunbelt Baseball League during the summer of 2019, batting .402 with 37 hits, two doubles, four triples, 12 RBI and 12 stolen bases.

PERSONAL
- Born Chandler Simpson on November 18 in Atlanta, Ga.
- Son of Edye and Ralph Simpson
- Has one younger sister, Skyla

Last edited: