2021 Recruiting

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
We're getting some bleedover tween 20 and 21 in other thread, so post 21 stuff here.

We are going to be rowdy like monsters in the 21 class so should be epic thread.

No cap. I say, sir, no cap.
The 2021 class will be very dependent on the full 2 seasons before, and the very challenging 2021 season. If there is momentum from 2019/2020, whatever difficulty from 2021 will be lessened.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
The 2021 class will be very dependent on the full 2 seasons before, and the very challenging 2021 season. If there is momentum from 2019/2020, whatever difficulty from 2021 will be lessened.
I think one of the misconceptions is that recruits pick schools based on the W-L record of the year before. For example, see FSU when Bowden built his monster. (FSU was nothing but a freaking women's college.) Many others. Ya gotta start somewhere. Mack Brown had like Top 5 classes his first two years at UNC the first time he was there, and he had a grand total of two wins in two years. He is back, and he is doing a great recruiting job and it has nothing to do with UNC's "success" the last few years.

What recruits typically want is a program which will put them in a position to be successful. So they will look past the W-L if they believe in their HFC and/or position coaches. Those coaches have to convince them the team will be successful and they will individually be successful, with "success" measured many different ways.

It is a complex thing to convince the kids. We could be coming off an Orange Bowl but if we were running the triple option we would not be getting a top pocket quarterback, or a number of other position players who feel the option would not put them in position to achieve their dreams. Likewise, CGC is drawing some really good kids in a regime change year following program irrelevancy. This is particularly true at db, because CGC has an amazing track record everywhere he has been of developing db's and preparing them for the pros. I predict the other positions will follow, and that process is underway.

Our 2021 success depends on the program keeping "juice," as we now call it. Looking at the character of the staff, the effort level, and their methodology, keeping the juice is the LAST thing I am worried about. Brent Key is not going to wake up one day forgetting how to recruit. Neither is Tashard Choice. Lewis Caralla, the human jack russell terrier, is not going to wake up unable to build rapport with the players and not feel like encouraging them to lift. Marco Coleman is already showing he can connect with players, coach them on technique, and recruit them in their homes. And so on down the list.

I read these recruits' twitter feed, and the top ones post their ideas, their philosophies. Not heavy philosophy but real-life philosophies. How to motivate themselves. The characteristics they need to excel. The ones that would rather post about nothing other than girls and parties and fashion are not interested in us and apparently we are not interested in them. But they are not going to bubble to the top on the field anyway, regardless of natural ability. The ones we are interested in, and who may or may not be interested in us, are the ones who lay out a life philosophy very similar to what CGC lays out constantly. Totally the same page.

We'll get our share. We'll see in the 2020 class how tight-knit the recruits are, how they feed off each other. That's what CGC builds. He did it here in 2007. He's done it in the SEC. He did it at Temple. The 2021 kids will see it too, better than we do, and want to be a part of it themselves. They will have a whole cycle to get used to the idea of GT as a destination. You will be amazed the kids who connect to it all and come here.

It is not baseless hype. It is not selling a car the buyer feels remorse about later. It is about imagining how the program should be, implementing what you need to do to get it there, and sharing the vision with others who want the same vision. It is how we should have been doing it from day 1.

And it does not matter how many times we get in the end zone next season. It does matter how much effort we put out there on the field and how together the team stays. To the ones with potential to be great, adversity just sharpens the sword.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Not worried about our recruiting. We have repeatedly proven that we just need a roster with no obvious weak spots and a stud here and there to make some noise. People love GT when we are strong and we are getting ready to be very strong. Good times are just around the bend.

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
Tons of high school players there. We should be giving away unpurchased tickets to local high schools for every game.

Buzz_PhD

Don’t call me doctor
Tons of high school players there. We should be giving away unpurchased tickets to local high schools for every game.
I noticed that too. We had HS players all around us in the lower north.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Yeah, if done right (and it aint that hard) its the easiest win-win no-brainer ever.

BranMart

Vegetables taste like sad.
I noticed that too. We had HS players all around us in the lower north.
CGC said on chuck and chernoff there were 700 kids on the recruit list. At least that is what I think I heard.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
One advantage of getting the 2020 class already close to full is that we can shift resources to 2021 and get ahead of the game. Wilcoxson will be a great start!!
That is an extremely good point. Also, getting the class early will allow them to form friendships that should make it harder for other schools to try to entice them away. The early signing date is good for us.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
That's not necessarily the advantage. You don't shift your focus to 2021. You very much have to continue to actively recruit your 2020 guys, because other schools will be. Yes you're ahead of the 8 ball when you have early commitments, but the recruiting doesn't slow down for these guys.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
That's not necessarily the advantage. You don't shift your focus to 2021. You very much have to continue to actively recruit your 2020 guys, because other schools will be. Yes you're ahead of the 8 ball when you have early commitments, but the recruiting doesn't slow down for these guys.
I cannot say anything nice about your post. We are recruiting over 125 2020 kids right now. When the class is full, we will have max 25 to "continue to recruit" and absolutely our focus will go from almost all of the other 100+ 2020 kids to the 2021 kids. The recruiting absolutely slows down for those 100+ 2020 guys. We would stay on a few in case we have someone decommit, but we arent regularly flying helicopters in to see uncommitted 2020 recruits at that point.

You will absolutely shift resources to 2021 exactly as he has said.

Sure it is debatable if "the focus" shifts. As if there is only one focus. The focus on uncommitted players and scouting absolutely shifts from the 2020 class to the 2021 class once you are full for 2020.