24 hours make a difference: Fri. AJC on Bilbo's future

bobby dodds ghost

Damn Good Rat
24 hours make a difference: Fri. AJC on Bilbo\'s future

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Maturation of a QB
Tech's Bilbo puts behind a dismal '02 to grow into his position
John Hollis - Staff
Friday, August 8, 2003

Damarius Bilbo spent last season trying to convince Georgia Tech's coaches that he ought to be their No. 1 quarterback.

He never did.

The harder he tried, the more he struggled.

"I was selfish for a little while," Bilbo said. "When I got in, I was selfish to where I was going to try to show coach [Chan Gailey], 'This is what I'm capable of.' That kind of got me in trouble a little bit."

A year later, the man who threw five interceptions and just three touchdown passes last season has the top job, at least on the current depth chart. He gets about two-thirds of the snaps in Tech's preseason practices. The rest are pretty evenly divided among A.J. Suggs, last year's starter, and freshmen Patrick Carter and Reggie Ball.

Gailey has stopped well short of naming Bilbo the starter, but Gailey has seen enough potential that he wants to find out what will happen if Bilbo ever adds consistency to his raw talent.

Gailey: "He shows flashes of being really good. Then he has a couple of bad plays."

But teammates say they see a difference between the Bilbo of last season and this year's version. They see a confident sophomore in place of the freshman who thought he had to wow the coaches with every play. It all started, they say, when Gailey promoted Bilbo to the top of the depth chart.

"You could tell he was much more into it because he was No. 1 and the other guys were out to beat him out," receiver Jonathan Smith said.

"I think everybody feels a certain comfort level when they're taking all the snaps," Bilbo said.

It helped that Gailey made things easier for him by simplifying the terminology. It also helped that Bilbo dedicated himself to studying game tape at every opportunity.

Bilbo, 6 feet 3, 225 pounds, has bench-pressed 405 pounds, the most ever by a Tech quarterback. He's fast enough that Florida recruited him as a receiver.

"I feel like there's nobody who can match me physically," Bilbo said. "I feel like if I get the mental part down, I'll be OK.

"I probably wasn't as mentally ready as I wanted to be [last season]. I felt like physically, I was ready. I was feeling the only way to learn was get in the game."

But for the first time in his football career, he spent much of the season standing on the sidelines. He sat out five of Tech's 13 games.

What happens next is up to Bilbo.

"I just want the ball in my hands," he said.
Ironic....ain't it?

Re: 24 hours make a difference: Fri. AJC on Bilbo\'s future

It just goes to show what the reporters really know.. although there are some on here who think the sports reporters have full reign to print the "truth"...

That was the "truth".....on Friday.
wink.gif

BOO

Sounds like he never got the mental part down.

It happens ALL the time in Football..I Remember when all we heard from Oleary was how Mark Logan was the next Joe Hamilton and what was the other QB prospects name (His Name fails me, i think he was from Fl. but Transferred )that Oleary proclaimed Quote "A tall Joe Hamilton"

What happens in football as in in all competitive sports is That your always trying to upgrade your team and ANY good coach that is aiming for a championship, will do what is best for his team in regards to getting the best 11 out there....

Blackwatch, reality and perception can be quite different. You are correct, Logan was hailed by many on the board as the next Joe Hamilton and savior of Tech football.

He has become a pretty good WR, and might have a chance to shine this year.

Good post.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Blackwatch, reality and perception can be quite different. You are correct, Logan was hailed by many on the board as the next Joe Hamilton and savior of Tech football.

Good post.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Now Reggie Ball is being hailed as the next Joe Hamilton and savior of Tech football...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:

Good post.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Now Reggie Ball is being hailed as the next Joe Hamilton and savior of Tech football...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Let's just hope he isn't another Tommy Luginbill.
wink.gif

BeeBad, and who said he is the next Joe Hamilton? I thought I had been reading all of the posts.

My perception from most of them was they hated to see Bilbo lose his job, but it might be the best thing. I have even seem some posters declare Ball looked better in practice than the rest of the quarterbacks.

I don't think I have seen anyone say he is the savior or the next Joe Hamilton. I do think there are a lot of Tech fans who hopes he turns out to be the real thing.

As I personnaly stated in another post, I was dumbfounded to see he had beaten out Bilbo, Suggs, and Camp. That rarely happens for an incoming freshman.

I leave it to the judgement of the staff and Gailey to make that decision. I am sure they are closer to the situation than any of us on the board.

JoltinJacket, yes, we all hope he succeeds, I guess we all hope he succeeds.

Father Time

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
That was the "truth".....on Friday.
wink.gif

BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL... was it? Because it certainly didnt appear that way to me on Thursday.. in fact, one of the questions asked at the practice on Thursday (by those observing)was "I wonder if Bilbo can play another position for us" .. it was apparent on Thursday that it wasnt working for some and was working for others.. and thats from a layperson like me...

Back