2Cents

1game@atime

Varsity Lurker
For fear of contributing to a piranha mentality among some on this board, I have delayed a response or retort.

Last night, for the small minded or those who conveniently forget their history was an unmitigated disaster. Some forget the beginnings of Sir Joe Hamilton. We had just completed a series of 6-5 or 5-6 seasons under O'Gone. We go up to South Bend (should have left O'Leary while there) and a very young and no depth team played thier hearts out. Thereafter Joe kept learning from his mistakes and ended a remarkable career at the top of the game.

Reggie Ball is faster, bigger, and more poised than Joe was that year as a sophomore. Gailey has done an absolutely wonderful job recruiting. He does need to continue opening it more and more so that our offense is not as predictable. The athletes coming on (10 last night) are better than those they replaced. That is the sign of an awesome future.

For those who cannot remember or choose to forget those humble days of Joe, keep sleeping.In two years you will be wanting to crow about our great team. Frankly I do not want to hear a frog fart out of you then. This team is a great team in the making. They simply need your encouragement and some time. Go Jackets!

I agree 1G. You have got to look at the positives from last night. The loss was disappointing but there was a ton to build on.

The complainers about the O-line were not watching Nat. He shut down Brady Poppinga. This guy was supposed to be all over the field and he had one tackle.

Foschi made several tough catches and was on his block all night.

Reggie showed his talent, leadership and poise. But, his accuracy on the long ball was not there. The routes were there over and over again. He overthrew 4 wide open plays that I saw (Curry, Xavier and two to Jonathan). All of these would have been big gains. There was one pass at the beginning of the second quarter he threw from our 30 to the BYU 10 off his front foot. He has an amazing arm and the accuracy will come with time. He is exciting to watch.

Wilkenson was fun to watch. He had a great game. I can't tell you how proud I am that He can move positions and immediately have an impact. I hope he has a great year and stays healthy.

I thought Fox and Smith were all over the field. The two of them, along with Cox, had some great hits. They have got to play the whole game and make tackles.

My big disappointments were:
1. Offensive predictability
2. What happened to the change of looks from the backfield? We don't have a RB that can carry us the whole game.
3. Lack of Desire and Confidence! We did not look like a team that beleived it was supposed to win.
4. Tackling

I am so utterly bummed we lost to BYU. But, I have seen some players that I am excited about and I am looking forward to watching play this year.

So my prayer:

Please give us quickness at running back
give us Ball to Smith over the middle
over and over and over again
give a positive turnover ratio
multiply our play calling creativity like the fleas on a ugly dawg
may Wilkenson be in the backfield every play
and keep us from injury

in the name of Jones, Hamilton and The Bobby Dodd

AMEN

Originally posted by 1game@atime:
For fear of contributing to a piranha mentality among some on this board, I have delayed a response or retort.

Last night, for the small minded or those who conveniently forget their history was an unmitigated disaster. Some forget the beginnings of Sir Joe Hamilton. We had just completed a series of 6-5 or 5-6 seasons under O'Gone. We go up to South Bend (should have left O'Leary while there) and a very young and no depth team played thier hearts out. Thereafter Joe kept learning from his mistakes and ended a remarkable career at the top of the game.

Reggie Ball is faster, bigger, and more poised than Joe was that year as a sophomore. Gailey has done an absolutely wonderful job recruiting. He does need to continue opening it more and more so that our offense is not as predictable. The athletes coming on (10 last night) are better than those they replaced. That is the sign of an awesome future.

For those who cannot remember or choose to forget those humble days of Joe, keep sleeping.In two years you will be wanting to crow about our great team. Frankly I do not want to hear a frog fart out of you then. This team is a great team in the making. They simply need your encouragement and some time. Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great I agree totally

Signalmtn - I think you have made a very valid point that I totally agree with and that has not been brought up in all the discussions re: the BYU game.I am referring to your point #3 - we didn't seem to have a "spark".This is something I know that is intangible or subjective at best but I for one like to watch the reactions of players and coaches whenever the cameras pan the sideline during a game.I thought the mood was rather sullen on the Tech sideline,particularly for a big first game on national TV.Maybe that is poorly stated but it did not seem like anyone on our sideline was having fun out there.

I have always enjoyed demonstrative coaches (Spurrier,Cremins,etc.) and players who seem to enjoy balling (as long as it does not cross the line into taunting or showboating.) I always thougt Lil Joe H. was a person who carried himself well and demonstrated a joy for the game. I also know that you can be successful with the silent approach on the sideline or field(Tom Landry comes to mind,as does Tom Hammonds during his career at GT.)
This is a "fuzzy" area at best and a "chicken and egg" question - how do you display confidence/enthusiasm without a track record of success?? It appears that we may be in for a long season- I truly hope that at least the players will ignore everyone and perhaps concentrate on enjoying the year and playing as hard as they can.

No matter how this unfolds, and I think things may get ugly, it will not be the responsibilty or fault of the kids on the team.Tech's "management" team is responsible for the current state of affairs.

I see the missing spark as a lack of team chemistry. Half the team are GOL men and almost an equal number are Gailey's all under the same banner. Not a big problem but has it's effects. Seniors with GOL connections leading underclassmen that were recruited by Chan Gailey.
It's an aftereffect of the regime change.

Back