3rd down efficiency

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Is there anyone who is versed In coaching football or theory or whatever that could explain why we must go for a 4th or 3rd and 1 from shotgun? Don’t pros even use qb keepers?

I know we had some big injuries today and I’m pleased that the Defense would be instantly better as I hoped they would. But it is also distressing to go from an incredible 3rd down efficiency to 5 out of 14.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
P
Is there anyone who is versed In coaching football or theory or whatever that could explain why we must go for a 4th or 3rd and 1 from shotgun? Don’t pros even use qb keepers?

I know we had some big injuries today and I’m pleased that the Defense would be instantly better as I hoped they would. But it is also distressing to go from an incredible 3rd down efficiency to 5 out of 14.
It is reasonably common in college football and happens regular in the pros. BTW, I wish we would do something different but for whatever reason it is the norm.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like

IMO in the NFL the defensive line is usually too good for a QB to get a straight up over center sneak. I can only think of seeing Tom Brady and maybe Cam Newton pull it off with good success in recent seasons. The run game in general is much tougher sledding at that level. The shotgun still gives the QBs the options they are looking for based on defensive alignment. The passing expectations for NFL QBs is much higher than college.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
We tried a sneak and it got destroyed. Probably not smart to sneak behind a true freshman walk on center as well

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
I think coaches can get too smart for their own good. When you need to move the ball forward three feet, don't voluntarily run it the other way twenty feet first.
Agree, simple is better at the college level, at least until we get more settled in this O.

Under CPJ everyone and their mother knew that on 4th and 2 we were doing a QB follow after a faked handoff. Every time. We still converted a lot of them.