4/6/02 Scrimmage Report

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
There was a good crowd out there to watch the scrimmage, but I'm sure a lot of you, especially out of towners, couldn't make it. I got there at about 10:50, so I'm not sure how much I missed. It was supposed to start at 10:40 (at least that is what rr.com said), but I'm not sure how long they had been playing before I got there.

Anyway, on to the scrimmage. There were no special teams play today, so they just started each drive at a certain yard line. Each of the QBs got their chances with the first and second teams. The first team offense was matched up with the first team defense, and the second team offense was matched up with the second team defense.

The offense had it's moments, but the defense pretty much dominated. That is to be expected at this stage of spring practice.

QBs
Suggs played pretty well. He didn't have any turnovers, and played pretty consistently. He had a scramble that he picked up about 6 yards, but was nailed by Key Fox right before he went out of bounds. He also threw a nice TD pass to Rahshan Johnson from about 7 yards out.

Bilbo had the play of the day by the QBs as he had a beautiful 25 yard run. A couple of the defenders thought they had the angle on him, but he was too quick and ran between and by about 6 of them. Bilbo also had a TD pass to Watkins that was around 25 yards. He eluded the rush a few other times to make positive yardage, but there were a few other times that he probably should have just thrown the ball away since he ended up losing close to 10 yards. He was also picked off by Jonathan Cox on a pass that was tipped.

Hall didn't do anything that really sticks out in my mind. I don't remember him running the ball that much. He had a few completions, but also had an interception.

RBs
Dixon continued to impress me out there. He really has a knack for making people just slightly miss him when he is running between the tackles, even when he is already wrapped up by one guy. He seems to always fall forward, which is exactly what you want. Dixon was the #1 back since Ford is still injured. Ford may have a tough time getting the starters spot back if Dixon continues to improve.

The only other running back that really got much time was Gordon Clinkscale. He had a few good runs, but fumbled the ball at least 2 times, and also tried to bounce a run outside in the goalline situation. Coach O'Brien really got onto him for that. I think he scored twice in the goalline situation.

Tony Hollings lined up mostly at FB today. That was the first time I've seen him lined up there. I didn't see Brian Johnson out there, so maybe that's why.

OL
Nat Dorsey didn't play in the scrimmage, so Garren Findlay took his spot. The first team line did a decent job for the most part of keeping the pressure off of the QBs, although there were a few sacks. There weren't a lot of holes for the running backs, though.

DB
Would you believe that the star of the scrimmage was Kelley Rhino? He had an interception, a fumble recovery that he took back all the way, another near interception that he just barly trapped, and a batted down pass. Way to go Kelley!

I already mentioned Cox's interception on the tipped ball. He and Hester started with the first team as the cornerbacks. Cory Collins was out, so walkon Nate Burton took his spot. Walkon Jack Rogers also had an interception in the endzone. It was a difficult catch as he barely got one hand on it and tipped it back to himself.

LB
Daryl Smith was his usual self making plays out there. It's hard to remember who made each individual play, but I do remember Matthew Etheridge coming through clean to really put a lick on Andy Hall and get the sack. Gerris Bowers-Wilkerson and Tabugbo Anyansi had a few tackles as well.

DL
Noone individually stuck out to me, but there did seem to be people in the backfield quite a bit. They also seemed to do a good job of shutting up the holes and keeping the backs from getting very far.

That's all I got right now. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask since it may spur my memory a little bit.

oldfoggy

Dodd-Like
Here in Alabama if it didn't happen in Alabama it didn't happen so thanks for the post lovem.

Alabama