#4 for ‘21 - Shawn Chappell Jr (DB)

Congrats to DB Cappell & welcome to the Flats!! However I must admitt that this feels liks we are back to CPJ Era recruiting.. 2 stars on rivals & Unranked on 247.....

Thread title should be 2021, no?

Good frame. Unrated guys just mean that they are... wait for it... unrated. Recruiting sites don't get eyes on most recruits until summer camps. This year will be slower than ever with ratings because of the virus.

Has Collins not proven he knows DB recruiting?

That said, I am a little surprised they took his commitment this early. But as we all know, commitments don't really mean jack on either side.

This recruiting cycle is going to be all about each teams ability to evaluate talent. CGC and staff have been great at this so far. Lots of our early offers last cycle ended up blowing up. Gibbs is a prime example. Also lost some early OL targets to Auburn, FSU IIRC.

Malik Rutherford is another early commit from this season who is gaining traction. Gotta trust the staff ESPECIALLY at DB

Know nothing about the kid, but that name just sounds like a future NFL safety

Still early.... look at Gibbs.

Wasn’t Gibbs a 5.7 with an offer from LSU when he committed? Yes his senior film was significantly better than his junior film (better than just about everybodys really). But not really apples to apples with that comparison.

His film looks to me like a 5.5/5.6 guy when it’s all said and done. Which isn’t to say Collins can’t work mold him into something with that frame. If there’s one position he should get the benefit of the doubt with, it’s DB.

Wasn’t Gibbs a 5.7 with an offer from LSU when he committed? Yes his senior film was significantly better than his junior film (better than just about everybodys really). But not really apples to apples with that comparison.

His film looks to me like a 5.5/5.6 guy when it’s all said and done. Which isn’t to say Collins can’t work mold him into something with that frame. If there’s one position he should get the benefit of the doubt with, it’s DB.

The way I remember it Gibbs went from an unknown 3* to a snubbed 5* that every factory wanted but we got in there when he was an unknown.

Not just still early, but a lot of info gathering time has been lost. High schools had to cancel spring practices and tons of camps have been cancelled. I think this class is going to be harder to measure with service stars, and we really will have to rely on what the coaches see, which should be what you care more about anyway.

If the coaches are already offering the kid, then it is not too early. He is getting nationwide attention already.

The way I remember it Gibbs went from an unknown 3* to a snubbed 5* that every factory wanted but we got in there when he was an unknown.

Scanning old threads he had offers from VT, Michigan, Tex A&M, and UL before we offered. Added LSU before he committed. And was 5.7/89 on rivals/247 when he committed in May. I don’t think Chappell is starting out at the same point as Gibbs from a rating/profile perspective.

The way this staff is assigned groups I will never worry about the way we evaluate DB talent.

Congrats to DB Cappell & welcome to the Flats!! However I must admitt that this feels liks we are back to CPJ Era recruiting.. 2 stars on rivals & Unranked on 247.....
If CPJ routinely found db's with this length, range, and violence, and put them in a sound,consistent defensive system, he'd still be here.

I think Chappell will be a two-high safety for us.

If CPJ routinely found db's with this length, range, and violence, and put them in a sound,consistent defensive system, he'd still be here.

I think Chappell will be a two-high safety for us.

DB was probably the position group that we recruited best under CPJ. Especially recently. Milton and White are still in the NFL. Thomas, Carpenter, Swilling, and Oliver is going to be one of the better secondaries in the conference next year. All four guys could be draft picks when they decide to jump. All surely helped by CGC coaching them now. I’d bet on at least 2 of them getting drafted and all 4 being on rosters at some point.

Chappell will be entering a well-stocked cupboard in ‘21.

Last edited:
Back