"51-7".....part 2...we quit on the field

Not to the best of my knowledge. You can choose the MATH 1501-1502 sequence (engineering calculus) or the MATH 1711-1712 sequence (finite math and business calculus), depending on your major. The business calc (officially "Survey of Calculus") class is significantly watered down compared to engineering calculus, but it is still calculus and way more math than UNL students in majors equivalent to what the Ivan Allen College offers would be required to take.

I actually don't mind that. A basic calculus course doesn't seem to be too much to expect from a college student. However, I seem to recall that they added something, but I can't find it and since you've been there much more recently than I, I'll go with your recollection.

When I was working on my MBA, it amazed me how deficient in math (and English) the vast majority of the students were. And this was at a top 25 graduate business school.

The job of a university president isn't to dumb down admissions so that the football program can win more. You went to the wrong school if that's what you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
They already dumbed down the curriculum to increase retention and GPA. Today's tech students don't have it half as bad as we had it a mere decade ago. Well I say ---- it, if they've already cheapened my degree, they might as well try to compete in football.

If you had a clue I would care but I don't. The president increased admission standards for football players in 2003. It needs to go back to what it was under homer rice in the 90s. Again what would you know you we're like ten back then

Bingo. The problem is, though, they probably won't do that until they fire Johnson and replace him with some douchebag like Rick Neuheisel.

As the one poster on this board (that I know of) who's actually taught GT student-athletes, I know that lowering admissions standards will not help things for the reason you indicate. They have to remain eligible. Furthermore, they have to make progress toward their degree under the NCAA APR rules, so you can't just bring them in and bounce them around in the handful of classes they are qualified for academically until they exhaust their athletic eligibility. Tech gets very excited about how each class of new freshmen is the best ever in terms of SAT scores and GPAs. That raises the bar in the classroom and so your student-athletes have to do better as students than the ones 20 years before did.

I'll also take a moment to address the new major not requiring calculus idea that some have floated around here. Will. Not. Happen. New degree programs must originate at the school/college level. No school or college wants to be the home to a new major created as a place for athletes to remain eligible. The administration can't force a new degree program on the academic units, and the faculty by and large don't care about athletics. The day that an administrator tries to create an academic program to benefit the GTAA is the day that a large number of faculty begin actively looking for new jobs, and don't kid yourself into thinking that there aren't plenty of institutions that would want to snap up GT faculty. The departure of high-quality faculty will hurt GT far more than middling performance on the football field does. Oh, and let's throw in the fact that new degree programs require Board of Regents approval. They'll block it for two reasons: money and U[sic]GA.

So, quit.

They already dumbed down the curriculum to increase retention and GPA. Today's tech students don't have it half as bad as we had it a mere decade ago. Well I say ---- it, if they've already cheapened my degree, they might as well try to compete in football.
your degree is more valuable than ever, except for the CE part

So, quit.

The bottom line is that the current world of college football is incompatible with the mission of a good university. There is a direct relationship between lowering the academic quality of your school and doing better in football. It will never be a level playing field for us unless there is a major change in the billion+ dollar business of "amateur" athletics.

We could move down to D3 (quit), which is much more in line with what college athletics should be. That would kind of suck though. I can't say the program's at the point where I'd rather play D3 than D1.

Our best hope is that the charade of "student athletes" is abolished and football players don't have to go to class anymore. Then we won't have this problem.

That didn't cheapen your degree. They did it to increase its value, which as cypto says (and I said earlier) is as high as it's ever been. You can agree or disagree with doing it, but it was done to increase the value of the degree, which is one of the two primary reasons to go to college (the other being to learn.)

Dumbing down with the main motivation of improving the football program is extremely unlikely to do that.

Last edited:
I use my GT degree to cover the hole I punched in my wall last night after re-watching Georgia Tech lose to MTSU.

Why does it need to do that? The school is as healthy as it has ever been academically, if not the best it's ever been.

Losing to middle Tennessee state isn't a signal that we should put in a new, dumbed down major so that we can do better in football. Those types of academic changes don't happen in isolation.

So are our friends down the road in Athens and they have more relaxed admission standards. If you want to just be an academic snob, then we will just have to accept being mediocre in football, maybe even just move down in classification and let Kennesaw State, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern move to division 1.

So are our friends down the road in Athens and they have more relaxed admission standards. If you want to just be an academic snob, then we will just have to accept being mediocre in football, maybe even just move down in classification and let Kennesaw State, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern move to division 1.

Yes, that is probably true about being mediocre more often than not. I don't see wanting to not let football drive the academic decisions of our elite university as being snobby though. You don't go to Gt for the football program, you go for its academic reputation.

And the school down the road in Athens is a joke everywhere except in Georgia and gets ten players arrested every offseason.

Georgia Tech should cancel its football program altogether and tear down the stadium.

The Institute does not take it seriously. Nobody will win a national championship here ever again.

Georgia Tech should cancel its football program altogether and tear down the stadium.

The Institute does not take it seriously. Nobody will win a national championship here ever again.

Having a good football team means your degree suffers. There is no having good academics and athletics. When I went for job interviews I was turned away because somebody let Joe Burns in way back when.

I am willing to have my degree tarnished if it helps football.

There, I said it.

I think there may be room for the consideration of a program at TECH that would be more conducive with the potential pro-athlete. I am still pushing for an athletic sports management program. There is a present need and it could easily be assimilated in the management program. I would defer to ND-Jacket but choose the simplest math and if Physics is necessary maybe algebra based physics would be appropriate. A side note; how does Auburn do it. They get first class athletes with an engineering program.

A side note; how does Auburn do it. They get first class athletes with an engineering program.

You can't major in sociology at Tech. And their engineering program is not comparable, side note; I don't think Cam Newton was an EE.

Back