6 Plays?

Originally posted by JJacket:
and????
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Rumor is thats the number of different plays we actually used thursday night.

The play calling on Thursday night was horrendous. It completely tied the hands of a talented freshman QB, and there was no hint that we had a gameplan designed to win the game or really even be competitive.

Crowton's offensive playcalling outcoached us completely.

Question for ahso????

Since the playcalling last night was worse than any game Friedgen ever called....worse than any game that O'Brien ever called.....even worse than any game that O'Brien ever tried to call and was overruled by his new boss....will you finally admit that O'Brien was not, and certainly is not, the problem???

BeeWare, absolutely not. I have made a statement about O'Brien in another post, but will repeat it here and expand on it.

O'Brien has never played offense. He played defense. He could be the smartest person in the world and still not be a good offensive coordinator, if he does not possess the analytical skills for it.

He was tutored by one of the best, but that does not equate to BOB being a good coach. He would have to have the same genetic brain as Friegden to take material from Ralph and turn it into the same results as Ralph.

In his first year with Tech, O'Brien was a mediocre 8-5 with a quarterback trained under Ralph. I attribute any good offensive play by the quarterback in 2001 to Ralph and Godsey.

O'Brien was very erratic with play calling in 2001. True, part of it may have been O'Leary's intrusion, but he still was not very effective. Mark a lot of the offense we had in 2001 mostly to Godsey and an extremely athletic team.

O'Brien's second year produced an even worse year of 7-6. The quarterback play never improved and became worse as the year progressed. Gailey has stated that he let O'Brien call his own plays even though he was tempted to step in and call the plays.

It appears, but is not proven, that O'Brien did not have the ability to groom quarterbacks. I suspect if O'Brien is ever given the OC under Friegden, he will sit in the booth and call down defensive formations to Ralph of the opposing teams. I doubt Ralph will use him as the QB coach.

Overall, O'Brien has never proved himself as an offensive coordinator. He has only two chapters in his book, and they are neither completely condemning nor do they paint a good picture of his abilities. He will have to produce some additional chapters in the future to prduce results that can shed some light on the subject.

Since Gailey did not call the plays last year, his book in Division 1 will be started this year. It would be unrealistic to judge the play calling on one game, since we had a freshman quarterback and the play selection was limited.

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the realistic person would agree the plays were kept simple on purpose. If someone assumed a coach, as experienced as Gailey, does not know more plays than used in the BYU game, they would not be deemed credible by the masses of football fans.

No, the book is still out on O'Brien. It may be years before we find the real truth about his ability as an offensive coordinator.

Father Time

Just because one is an asst. to a genius for awhile, does not add up to asst. being a genius.

Gailey in the 2nd half..."I got nuttin."
grin.gif

You just never gave BOB a chance. He needed at least 3 or 4 years as coordinator before we can even begin to judge him. Does that line of thinking sound familiar to you?

Yeah, BOB was terrible in 2001. Who can expect to win on 31 points a game?

I'm not saying he was Fridge, but he was not a horrible coordinator. I don't see how he can be blamed for not grooming Bilbo and Suggs as neither will ever play again (despite the tutalage of another, presumably competent, coach).

Thanks goodness CG forbid people from posting formations in practice recaps and closed the last couple off. BYU might have caught on to all his sneaky tricks. Oh, wait a minute. BYU might have caught on to him not using any sneaking tricks.

BOB play calling. Run the single back up the middle till 3rd and long, then throw a low percentage pass down the sideline. Then punt and take a break, get a gatorade, chill out. Think about wine social after the game. Maybe she'll wear that pink skirt with the slit up the side...

I think bo'b was an offensive genius, and an even BETTER LB coach. Why just look at how maryhadalittleland handled NIU - oh never mind.

Back