7-5 Coach Fired, Program Heading The Wrong Direction

Let's complete the picture a little bit...

Toledo was in his 7th season at UCLA. Also, UCLA has a new athletic director; more often than not, AD's want "their guy" as coach for better or worse.

The GT program has things that need to be addressed and corrected. Right now the most pressing things to do are recruiting and preparation for the bowl game. So far, recruiting has picked up and I am excited about the DT's; also, this is a big weekend as far as who is coming in to visit. Hopefully, we will see a gameplan and performance similar to the UVA/NCSU games to make the offseason a bit better.

Further, if Gailey were fired today, who do you get to come in? Recruiting would suffer tremendously. To an outsider looking in, what coach would come to a school that fired a coach for having a winning record and going to a bowl game in his first season at the helm, despite very avg. QB play and lots of injuiries? Again, I am not happy w/the way that the season ended; if Gailey does not improve in Year 2, chances are strong that there will not be a year 3.

Let's see how recruiting finishes up and how the team plays in the bowl game; this should give us some idea of the program heading into spring practice and a tough schedule next year.

He also went 5-6 in his first season following a 7-5 season under Donahue. Followed that with back-to-back 10-2 Pac-10 Championship seasons, then 4-7, 6-6, 7-4, 7-5.

he also had no control over his team: a qb who got 2 DUIs and didn't report either of them, players getting in fights all over southern california.

these two programs aren't even comparable. give chan a chance.

you're starting to sound like a dawg, wasp: never satisfied.
smile.gif

Padre: If this was not an insinuation on your part, please forgive me. I think the posts that followed pretty well addressed the situation if it was.

Assuming that many fonts will gobble this up thinking it is to be another opportunity to body-slam Coach Gailey let me speak to them: GET OFF
THE PILE and get with the program or go hide undera rock somewhere until this coach proves himself one way or another. Squeltch the talk about last year and the coaching staff, etc....last year was a disgrace considering the team/staff abilities and resources. And guess what? It is OVER, OVER, OVER!!!
The juvinile pettiness that continues to exhibit itself on this (and the other) board is pitifully pathetic. Some of you yard birds are so filled with bitterness because you did not get your way that you have green slime running from your ears!
Are you for Georgia Tech? Then D..mn it, start acting like it. This is a mature board for the most part so if your chronological or intellectual age is not that of an adult just cool it for awhile while the train goes by. If Chan does not prove out then he'll go. If he does, then he will likely be crowned, but for goodness sake: cut the crappy negativity and judgmental spear throwing. It is true: There is no "I" in TEAM.

techsamillion,

Getting my way:

Speaking only for my self. I will be getting my way when Tech is ranked again and moving up in the rankings, when Georgia fears the end-of-the year game, and doing this with a class group of players and with coaches that conduct themselves in such a manner that they only enhance our school's reputation.

If you and I, and I believe most fans, share these ambitions for our team, that makes us a true Tech fans.

Those that share these ambitions but have a different opinion on coaching, player performance, or the program's general direction, are still true Tech fans in my book.

Hope you were not implying otherwise.

Here's to all Tech fans,
drinking.gif
drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Gosh, holly, I thought you sounded like the "dawg", not me. I just posted the storyline from this morning's paper, thought it might be of interest - anyone who draws inference to the GT situation is doing it on their own.

Now that you've raised the issue, that smackdown in Athens does not merit firing alone, but taken in the entirety of question marks raised during the season, simply puts the program in need of an off-season major overhaul, or we do get to the point of asking which way the program is headed. I still do not understand the sensitivity of asking that question in a non-personal, objective way. Some are hyper-sensitive perhaps over the feelings of staff or administration, if I'm sensitive it is to the players and fans who will forever endure the humiliation of 51-7.

Thats off-topic, the post had nothing to do with GT unless you peeked underneath expecting it.

Padre and 71.....sorry for any offensive verbage.
I think the three of us are thinking alike overall.
I guess I just got caught in a bad moment. Please forgive.
R.E. The Shellacking at Psuedo Athens: I did somethig I have seldom, if ever, done. I geared into denial mode. It was so castastrophic that I managed to block it out for the most part. It is in the category of the War Between The States with me. I still do not accept that we were defeated. (Now you know what kind of idiot posted here to start with). Anyhow, I guess I am hyper sensitive to our program at the moment and feel so protective (why? to no avail I am sure) that I want to knock down any potential to helping us get to the place where we whip the crap out of Georgia and anyone else that gets into our face. Here I am time and again proposing brotherhood and unity among all Techsters and then I post a note that ruptures the kind of unity I desire. In all honesty, however, I do feel frustration but sense that jumping on our Sherriff will do more damage than good. I do hope that we have some semblance of a housecleaning ala the coaching staff, but truly I am unable to adequately judge where the weakest of the weak places were. Hence: Again Coach Chan is on the spot to make decisions. If he does not make them and the result remain the same, I will be just as angry and disgruntled as the next guy. Peace and God bless.

Back