7-5 Tech Coach Deserves Our Support

Father WASP

Flats Noob
His teams are well prepared, play with discipline, and give 100% effort. He recruits the type of student-athlete who represents us well and can compete in the ACC. The Jackets may lose but are always competitive. He answers questions of the media and appears to respect this school. These are all reasons we should continue to support.................

Paul Hewitt

Most definitely a great find for GTech! Looking forward to a lot of great basketball with this coach at the helm of our basketball program!

Ability and character describe him to a tee!

I love Hewitt. But can't resist asking, do you consider Syracuse competitive? Funny how perspectives change.

i love hewitt too ... and there was tulane
it is VERY easy being negative

Originally posted by Father WASP:
His teams are well prepared, play with discipline, and give 100% effort. He recruits the type of student-athlete who represents us well and can compete in the ACC. The Jackets may lose but are always competitive. He answers questions of the media and appears to respect this school. These are all reasons we should continue to support.................

Paul Hewitt
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Interesting...there was another 7-5 coach (only in his first season) that you and MsTechAnalysis raked over the coals all season that has many of the same characteristics described above. How ironic?

CB, the other 7-5 coach with the same characteristics, at what school did he coach?

Originally posted by GMC 68:
CB, the other 7-5 coach with the same characteristics, at what school did he coach?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Man, I thought I was posting on StingTalk, not the DawgVent. My bad
rolleyes.gif

Nice comments. I like Coach Hewitt a great deal as well. Like this team a great deal also. We'll make some noise in ACC before this season is over. If we can handle pumps on the road we might surprise some people late in the season. Fun team.

Curious why we don't use the BBall forum sometimes.

Go Jackets

Originally posted by ContactBuzz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by GMC 68:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Man, I thought I was posting on StingTalk, not the DawgVent. My bad
rolleyes.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">StingTalk has become very "ventish" that's for sure.

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
StingTalk has become very "ventish" that's for sure.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">While its nice that Stingtalk has no censorship, there is always going to be lots of dribble here. All the negative posters will be here since they can't spout on the Hive. And if next football season goes poorly, this place is going to be worse than the vent.

Contact!

Ironic? How ironic is it to have different opinions about 2 very different coaches and their coaching styles.

There's a marked difference between one 7-6 coach and our 7-5 basketball coach. I have no problems with posting my concerns in football and my positive feelings in basketball.

This basketball coach, coaches his players up ... remember, we have a very young basketball team, that was NOT the case in football.

What is ironic is that Hewitt has come in for his own share of criticism this year relating to perceived problems with his coaching and recruiting, yet some who champion him are down on Gailey for some of the same reasons they are down on CG. Gailey has been criticized in part because we weren't competitive with Ugag and Md. My point was we weren't very competitive with Syracuse either and they are nowhere near as good in basketball as Georgia is in football. Hewitt has been criticized because some of our sophs don't seem to have made enough progress as fans think they should, and Gailey of course is criticized because our team didn't improve over the course of the year.

My point is you could list the problems with either team in a way that no one would know which you are talking about. I know you don't like Chan so don't have any problems with you posting whatever you like.

That's the great thing about our society - differences of opinion are welcome. I wanted to point out the contrasts between two coaches with identical records (at one point at least). Those of us like myself, MsTech and others who have voiced concerns are bashed. I just wanted to point out that within the Tech community we are not all lunatics expecting 10-2 or 11-1 seasons in order to be satisfied. If a coach recruits good kids who put out consistently, are well prepared and are improving, Tech folks will get behind them. As for Contact seeing that the characteristics were evident in the football program - again, two different perspectives which are fine. As for me, I didn't see the discipline, preparation or often competitveness on the field. Did we get better or improve? Most objective observers would say no. There are obviously several different camps within the Tech community - and as long as there have been no personal attacks on players, profanity etc. the opinions have been welcome. For those who want only a 100% dose of one-sided banter about what tiime kickoff is, didn't you think the band performed well... well, go to The Hive and you will be more comfortable.

And also, there have been many years when we've gone into the Georgia game more outmanned than this year, and never have we been beaten this badly. Hewitt beat them. And as long as we are keeping score it matters.

When coaches are being called idiots, its dribble. An opinion? yes, but still dribble.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
Contact!

Ironic? How ironic is it to have different opinions about 2 very different coaches and their coaching styles.

There's a marked difference between one 7-6 coach and our 7-5 basketball coach. I have no problems with posting my concerns in football and my positive feelings in basketball.

This basketball coach, coaches his players up ... remember, we have a very young basketball team, that was NOT the case in football.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Is there any doubt that Coach Hewitt's Jackets will improve as we head toward March and tournament time? I believe the Jackets will be vastly improved and dangerous. No use rehashing the condition of Coach Gailey's football Jackets at the end of the season.

However promising the bball program is, it has had to endure a couple of steps in the wrong direction, as well as right, as they adjust to the transition of a coaching change in a competitive league. Sounds vaguely familiar doesn't it? An especially vague point when it doesn't "suit" us.

This whole, Hewitt is praiseworthy therefore Gailey is not, argument is baseless and prejudicial in nature.

Once our fairweather pals have sobered up and realize it's their failing not supporting our coach and not his less than championship season that's missing at this point then the comparison becomes simply "what have you done for me lately?"

PH is still the future of GT bball. He has yet to set the world on fire but he has our faith and confidence. Chan Gailey after barely a year in total at the flats deserves similar respect. Exactly what kind of "contributions" are you "fans" making? .500 ball is .500 ball to a "bookmaker"!!!

Originally posted by statelinejacket:

Is there any doubt that Coach Hewitt's Jackets will improve as we head toward March and tournament time? I believe the Jackets will be vastly improved and dangerous. No use rehashing the condition of Coach Gailey's football Jackets at the end of the season.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Let's hope, as GT fans, that Coach Hewitt's success continues. Let's hope he doesn't have a rash of injuries. Let's be thankful that he brings the character and respect to the program that he does. Let's be GT fans.

Let's also quit feeling sorry for ourselves.

Back