790 Call In Show 11/7/2002

jacketguy

Damn Good Rat
Wes: Coach.. what it the world has happened the past two weeks.. this team seems to be on fire.. playing really hard, and winning !!

Coach: Well, I wish I knew the answer to that.. but its really alot of things... but I would have to say, that probably, the primary reason for the improvement is attributed to the Stingtalk message board and a font called Beeware... his insprirational criticism has been a blessing, not only to myself, but the entire team.. .just ask Ricardo, he will tell you..

Wes: Well thats amazing coach, but in what ways has this helped the team.. ..

Coach: Well Wes.. in numerous ways.. it helped us as a coaching staff by enabling us to see that we were stuck in the mud tactically and strategically, poor play calling, wrong offensive sets...not adjusting as quickly as we should have during games.. not even playing the right people... for instance,we are giving the ball to the fullback more now etc.... I thought I knew how to coach until I read his posts on Stingtalk.. I now use this information as input when beginning our game day strategy.

I am hoping we can convince Beeware to join us on the sidelines during the Georgia game... I think it would be a real advantage for us to have him closer to the program. And I can tell you.. all the guys on the team are REALLY anxious to meet Beeware, as are some of the coaches!

Wes: So this font has really had an affect on the guys on the team..

Coach: Oh, no doubt... in fact, AJ was telling me just the other day that he hopes to meet Beeware in a dark alley sometime before his playing days are over at Tech... said it would be a dream come true..

OK... OK... enough of my playing... just teasing at Beeware a bit here ... Beeware, hope you appreciate the humor.. its all meant in fun... blame it on down time during commercials !!

Here we go... for those of you near and far.. enjoy !

Welcome to the Commune in Atlanta..

Wes: Congrats on the NC State win.. etc...

Gailey: The guys have fought hard.. the week of practice has not been easy this week due to weather.. couldnt get in the dome... we had a good practice yesterday... looking for a good one today...

Wes: After the big win last week.. do we have to bring them down a notch...

Gailey: If it wasnt FSU.. probably so... but since it is FSU.. we dont have to... he has encouraged some of the "young pups" to sit and talk with some of the upper classmen to get the right mental frame for this weeks game..

Caller: Congrats on a win... wants the fans to be the 12th man on the field this week... no booing.. how is Chris Reis and I-Per looking

Gailey: Chris is playing on special teams.. would have liked to RS all of them... he will really be good for us.. may be a Free Safety... may be a LB.. not sure how he will end up... he is heady... smart as a whip... I-Per is going to be a special ball player.. and is a competitor... runs like a deer... very graceful...

Wes asks about last years recruiting activities and Reis reconfirming his committment... etc..

Caller: Where do we stand as far as the priority for an indoor practice facility. Mentions moving the coaching show from Sat AM...

Gailey: 2 or 3 things are being talked over now... that is one of them... but there is so much construction work going on now its unbelievable... this is being discussed.. hope something can get done in 2-3 years.. we lost time this week due to busing guys to practice... lost meeting time with the players..
talks about the coaching show, and that it may become an hour long etc..

Caller: Congrats on the game.. Levon Thomas, seems to have had a talk with him during the game.. Talks about Clinkscales run...

Gailey: Yes we visited .. and we didnt talk about Thanksgiving or Christmas either...

Caller: Quetion about Philip Rivers fumble in the third quarter... (bad call on the ref).. which bowls will be at the game this week...

Gailey: He agrees that it looked like a fumble...nothing we can do about it, just go with the refs judgement... the Peach and Tangerine will be on the Flats Saturday..

Caller: Does the Dome charge us to use that facility... mentions the intramural facility that may be available to use...

Gailey: Might be able to use that in some way...

Wes: The relationsip goes back 10 years with the dome.. not sure what it is...

(Gailey sounds tired as heck today !! I hope he doesnt fall asleep at the Microphone (door opening for a Beeware comment here))

Caller: How hard will it be for us to get a big DL to Tech.. and have we thought of changing our defensive scheme..

Gailey: Good point, and it has been discussed... when you go with a 3 man line, it affects adjustments etc.. the trend is to go get 2 big guys for the line and 2 quicker guys to join them.. we dont have a definitive answer as to where we will go on this

Discussion about FSU... FSU came back against WF.. lot of talent on the team... a WHOLE LOT... unbelievable speed.. Defensive Line will be the best we have faced this year by far... excellent team speed... they pretty much run the same package with McPher as the do with Rix... we can expect McPher to look to throw the ball much moreso than Rix would have done.

Caller: Health of the OL.. where do we stand.. Who is going to be at the lunch tomorrow..

Gailey: OL is pretty beat up.. both Wallace and Dorsey will be gameday decisions... everyone else is fairly healthy.. Philips, Hardy, and Honeycutt will have to come in a fill some big shoes.. Reilly is almost back to 100%... Gailey will be at the lunch tomorrow..

Discusses the great job that Fox did in coming back and playing the way he did last week...

Caller: Question about the LB's... Anyansi.. Wilkerson

Gailey: Anyansi hurt his ankle early in the year.. got out of the rotation.. has been well.. played special teams the past couple of weeks.. but has to earn his way back... LB's are playing pretty well right now.. .Wilkerson is playing alot on special teams, and playing very well .. but is probably a year or so away from playing full time

Caller: Recruiting.. how is it going

Gailey: You never hear a coach saying that recruiting is going awful.. or that they signed a bunch of bums (with the exception of Donnan!) .. we are pleased where we stand right now in terms of recruiting... we dont just take anybody or recruit just anybody... looking for guys who want to win the ACC and beat Georgia

Caller: Recruiting question.. comments on academics etc.. it appears things are going slow... do you think we will fill the full 25 with people who can compete in the ACC

Gailey: We wont offer a scholly just to offer one.. we dont sign people we dont think can help us beat Georgia and win the ACC

Caller:Comments about FSU.. athletic OL.. seems that we need to out quick them..

Gailey: You negate size with quickness and speed.. moving people around alot.. bringing people from the edges.. Tenuta has a great feel for that... thought the defense did a great job keeping Rivers off balance last week...

A minute talking about Muyres.. really doing a good job... studies film... steady guy for us back there... he is a calming influence for us..

Gailey comments that we are still learning a new defense..

Caller: Will Landry be considered as a LB next year? Also comment about passing difficuties on defense when playing FSU over the past few years.

Gailey: Landry is now 215 pound rock solid safety that will probably be a heck of a DB over the next few years... yeah he could get big enough to play LB.. passes on short yardage, we have studied it... and hopefully will make adjustments

Caller: FSU's weakness appears to be the secondary... will we see more deep balls?

Gailey: We have to throw it deep.. underneath... we will attack them alot of ways with the pass this week..

Talks about the FSU OL... the skill areas are fairly comparable throughout the ACC.. but their lines are in a class of their own in the league... they are a strong football team...

Wes asks where have we come from in the past two weeks... Gailey isnt sure.. he isnt spending much time looking back... he is looking forward... winning doesnt hurt... positive reinforcement always helps... you get a win, the locker room feeling after the NC State game was unbelievable so you want more of that...

As always... any corrections to what I "think I heard" will be appreciated...

- much appreciated.

Thanks for the laugh also.

Thanks, Jacketguy. Boy, I guess we're all going to have to be more like Beeware!

Back