7A semis - Marietta vs Parkview

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
The Possums* (Parkview) kicker has sent three kickoffs to the back of the end zone. I want the WH ‘copter to land at halftime and have CGC extend an offer.

*I’m a Norcross alum, back in the early 80’s we had a heated rivalry with Parkview. We called them the Possums bc they vandalized our parking lot by painting paw prints -they were so small they looked like possum tracks. Some Norcross seniors later strung up a few dead possums on their goalposts.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Serious question: why A through AAAAAAA? Why not 1 through 7 or A through G?

oldgold68

Bitter old man
Serious question: why A through AAAAAAA? Why not 1 through 7 or A through G?
Some states call A 1A, AA 2A, etc which speeds up conversations. In ancient times, Georgia had C, B, A, AA, AAA high school designations.

theStingT

Varsity Lurker
Years ago some perpetually offended type decided that B and C were derogatory and they changed it.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
Some states call A 1A, AA 2A, etc which speeds up conversations. In ancient times, Georgia had C, B, A, AA, AAA high school designations.
Well I think everyone says 1A, 2A, etc in conversation. Or maybe “single A”, “double A”, “triple A”, then 4A, 5A, etc.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Because the regions are already numbered. So the classes are lettered. 2-7a would be region 2 Aaaaaaa
Why not 2G? 2AAAAAAA and 2AAAAAA look similar. 2-7A leads to confusion. 2G would be clear.

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
Why not 2G? 2AAAAAAA and 2AAAAAA look similar. 2-7A leads to confusion. 2G would be clear.
georgia fans don’t know that many letters, that’s why
So it makes it easier for them to follow high school teams
They also can’t count that high, which is another conundrum

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Years ago some perpetually offended type decided that B and C were derogatory and they changed it.
Yup. Originally believe it was simple like A, B, C but by the time I graduated high school there were 5 classes: AAA, AA, A, B, C. Each year the playoff brackets would produce a North Ga champ and a South Ga champ who would play for the state title.

oldgold68

Bitter old man
Yup. Originally believe it was simple like A, B, C but by the time I graduated high school there were 5 classes: AAA, AA, A, B, C. Each year the playoff brackets would produce a North Ga champ and a South Ga champ who would play for the state title.
It sucked to have a decent season, but have no chance for a state title unless you won the region. Some states, you make the playoffs even if you go like 3-5 or 4-4 in the region. So you could win a state championship with a losing overall record. Not right.