A Brief History of Coaches

Bibb Stinger

Varsity Lurker
With all the references to wins/losses of first and second year coaches, I’ like to review the coaches I remember:

Bill Curry- Coming in after Pepper, Curry was given a long leash to rebuild the program, went 1-9-1, 1-10 his first two seasons. He did eventually get to a 9-2-1 season and an All- American Bowl appearance, took him 6 years. Alabama shocked the world one year later, and stole him away.

Bobby Ross- came in well respected, and got pasted his first year 2-9, mostly blowouts, and he admitted the team quit during the Duke game. Second year, 3-8, but big improvement on the field. The losses were much closer, and the team didn’t beat themselves. Third year, after 3 close losses to start the season, the team breaks out to win 6 of the remaining 7 games. National Championship follows, with another bowl season after that. Ross leaves for NFL.

Bill Lewis- comes in with expectations of keeping the ball rolling, which he does until the sixth game of his first season, when FSU goes to the shotgun with Charlie Ward and completes a stunning fourth quarter comeback. The rest of the season goes down the tubes. The following season is highlighted by a QB controversy and mediocre performance; Lewis goes 5-6 each of his first two seasons. Tech sees the handwriting, and forces Lewis to hire O’Leary as DC. Lewis’ third season the wheels totally fall off, GOL takes over.

O’Leary comes in and goes 6-5 his first year, 5-6 the next year, then he brings in the Fridge and great things start to happen. (Mainly on offense)

So here we are with Gailey finishing with a very respectable 7-6 (compared to above),
Now what’s all the fuss about? Expectations and improvement.
Bill Curry came in took six years to get to a bowl game, but Tech stayed with him. Tech had low expectations and he showed improvement
Bobby Ross came in improved each year, and went on to win big. Now expectations are raised, no more we can’t win at Georgia Tech.

Enter Bill Lewis, first year similar to Chan in that they both ended on a down note the first year. Bill Lewis went on to lose the team, and lost his job in less than 3 seasons.

So, with Miami and Va. Tech coming in, can Tech afford to fiddle around with a coach that doesn’t show improvement? By the UNC game this year, the direction of the team should be apparent.

My Gawd, Bibb, don't you realize that we had ample talent on the team last year to win EVERY game and Gailey foolishly urinated it all away?
bsmeter.gif

Mr.Bibb..If you were in charge of the hiring and firing You would have fired Bobby Ross halfway into his 2nd year and Thus we would not be as well respected as we are today minus a modern day National Chapionship !!!!

Wasn't Friedgen's first year at Tech the year we went 10-2 and Joe Ham was a junior? I could of sworn that was the case. I don't think he was our OC Joe's sophmore year in 1997.

Second, the counter point to all of this which is well documented on this board is that Gailey showed 1.) no consistency as a coach last year (part of this could be attributed to the revolving dor of injuries we had) and 2.) We got our asses handed to us by UGA in an embaressing fashion, then go on to underperform vs Fresno and lose by 9 to a team without 7 players.

Last year we only found out one thing.

Either we did not have a QB or we could not develop one.

I will add that we found out that we had some quitters on the team. We do not know the actual reason they quit during the UGA game.

This year we will find out the answer to many questions.

1. Do we have the coaches to develop a QB? Failure to see at least a glimmer of hope here for the second consecutive year would be a huge concern.
2. Did Chan do a good job recruiting? Normally this takes two years but since we are playing most of our Freshman class we will find out soon. Obvious success here would make a disappointing record MUCH easier to swallow. In fact success here by itself (considering it includes the critical element Reggie Ball) coupled with our early commits should do more PR for Gailey than Ws (within reason).
3. Did the team quit because they lost faith in CCG? This team is likely to face a lot of adversity. How they react to it is critical.
4. Is Chan still a good Offensive coach? Does he still have the magic that made him the toast of Pittsburgh? With him calling plays, there will be no doubt about who called a five yard pass on third and ten.

I would add that Chan is not on the hot seat barring a total disaster (see #3).
drinking.gif

Originally posted by Bibb Stinger:

What subtle signals am I missing, that should cause optimism for the up coming year?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
Dang...Be careful there Bibbster, some of these FOCers might drop a "subtle" rock on your head after a question like that!
laugh.gif

BOO

No problems Bibbster,
No problem BDG,
Everything is A-okay.....Good post, good retort.
True Focer's always admire honest thinkers.

I can think of some signs you are missing. If you look at last year's team, we had 2 kids who had AllAmerica-level talent...Greg Gathers and Tony Hollings. We lost them both early on in the season.

Also, we had a quarterback who couldn't figure out that he should throw the ball to our team and not to the other. So what does CG do? During the off season (i.e. right after the bowl game) he tells EVERYONE that the QB job is open and no longer lists that QB at the top of the depth chart.

I think CG has problems, but I do honestly think that he is the best man for the job right now at Tech. I expect a decent year (not a great one but a decent one) in which our team looks much more prepared and plays with more heart. I just keep going back to a post I read early this month (although I apologize that I forget who posted it). The post was lengthy but there was one obscure reference that either noone else picked up on or others just chose to ignore. The poster stated that the Tech players seemed to be practicing harder and with more heart than he had ever seen at a Tech practice. I think the poster may have been John Davis, but I will not swear to that.

If it is really true though and kids are giving that kind of effort, then I feel really good about our chances for this year.

The freshmen are reason enough to be exited about 2003. Of course a sceptic could blame it on Flunkgate, but most of these guys beat out GOL recruits.

Black Watch:
I guess you missed the part about ‘big improvement on the field’. After year two, Mark Bradley wrote some mindless articles about Tech, and lots of Tech fans were calling for Ross to go. I felt they weren’t paying attention to the improvement on the field, just the W/L column.
The hardest part was hanging in there during the start of year three. But as my 20/20 hindsight recalls, I never wavered in my support of Ross.

What subtle signals am I missing, that should cause optimism for the up coming year?

Back