A concern about conditioning

jescho

Varsity Lurker
One thing that has been on my mind this week regarding tomorrow's game is, assuming that this will be an early blowout, and the 2nd and 3rd teamers play from the mid-2nd quarter on, do think that a lack of conditioning might set in from not playing an entire game and come to hurt us in the next two games that undoubtedly will be close ones.

I wondered about that last year when the two games previous to the Clemson game were blowouts (Citadel & Navy) where the 1st team saw limited playing time.

I am not necessarily advocating keeping the 1st team in during blowouts, risking injury and the blacklash and being a "bully", but I am simply curious if there are any effects of not playing an entire game and therefore not having that conditioning and endurance that is necessary to maintain a level of performance for an entire game against tough competitors later on.

Or am I just playing chicken little?

I agree with your point about lack of pt for the first string fellas, but how many guys are we bringing up there? I don't know if too many 3rd stringers will be on this trip. Just my humble opinion.

THWG!

Your point about Clemson is irrelevant. We had 3 weeks off before that game. Comparing that situation to playing a game a week after is not the same.

Better to be healthy than worn down and banged up.

Conditioning for the 4th quarter should have been done in the spring and summer, not this Saturday.

It doesnt matter how much conditioning you do in the spring and summer, it never prepares you for the speed of the game, and the conditions of heat early in the fall or late summer. Its hard to explain, but even tho you are in excellent shape, the first games are always tough physically

I think there will be a difference for us when we play Clemson, but only hope that the game is secured before fatigue sets in...

Our conditioning will be fine for Clemson. Last year, we had a 3 week layoff that messed everything up. This year, we play them the week after a game. We'll be in a rhythm. Also, that crowd will keep us pumped, even if we're the visiting team. On top of that, Clemson is somewhat beat up from their game with UGA.

We'll be fine. Just need to execute on O and tackle on D.

Jescho, if we are beating a team pretty badly, maybe we would be better getting the first stringers out of the game. If you are playing against a weak opponent, it gives you a false sense of security. You may go into the next game and find the competition much tougher and you are not ready for it.

My preference is for our first team offense to scrimmage against the first team defense the following Monday and Tuesday so both could be ready for the tougher opponent.

Playing the reserves appears to be the best alternative. My opinion on this one.

smile.gif

Back