A Crucial Three Weeks

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
We find ourselves 3-4 with 3 games coming up that I believe will be crucial to the Collins regime. Two games are at home. The three opponents are a combined 10-11 overall and 2-7 in conference play. Win all three and we avoid a losing season and likely go to a bowl. Win 2 and I think most will be patient in the offseason. Lose two and 4-8 simply cannot be sold as evidence we are headed in the right direction. The pressure on next season becomes immense. Lose all three and nine wins in three seasons will make for an intolerable offseason and most surely will affect recruiting.

We find ourselves 3-4 with 3 games coming up that I believe will be crucial to the Collins regime. Two games are at home. The three opponents are a combined 10-11 overall and 2-7 in conference play. Win all three and we avoid a losing season and likely go to a bowl. Win 2 and I think most will be patient in the offseason. Lose two and 4-8 simply cannot be sold as evidence we are headed in the right direction. The pressure on next season becomes immense. Lose all three and nine wins in three seasons will make for an intolerable offseason and most surely will affect recruiting.

5-7 is definitely the par mark. It was from the beginning of the season, though maybe not playing out in the path many thought.

Three winnable games coming up.
Also ... three loseable games.
That's life in the Coastal. A weekly crapshoot. Emphasis on crap.
(Pitt's good. The rest of the division? Not so much. Uva is good on offense. They are suspect on D)

At this point in the season my expectation was 4-3, but it included W’s vs NIL and Pitt, and an L vs UNC. Pitt is one of the better teams in the ACC so 3-4 is a realistic expectation at this point.

As stated, in the next three games, anything from 3-0 to 0-3 is possible, but I think 2-1 is realistic, and an almost necessity for CGC. We need to beat VPI and BC at home.

5-5 going into ND and UGA is my expectation.

Pretty sad when we’re dreaming of winning 5 games every year, worrying we may not get there because we got nobody left on the schedule that sucks bad enough to think we have a better than 50-50 shot to beat them.

Tech should be able to take at least a win out of Miami and/or VT. I have serious doubt about BC.

Tech should be able to take at least a win out of Miami and/or VT. I have serious doubt about BC.
BC is a question mark. DL and OL are huge for them. We need to expand north looking for some OL and DL.

And we lost by 8. Our former coach would have run 3:40 seconds off the clock on a death March trying to cut it to 14 at the end of the game.
Please provide an example of that.

Another missed PAT! This team is too streaky and not competent enough to win more than 1 game left on the schedule this season.

Please provide an example of that.
Are you ööööing kidding? Almost every damn loss where we were down we ran our offense at a leisurely pace until the very very end where we would chuck up home run balls. Apparently, you weren't watching the clock run during these games like I was. Apparently, you were fine with AB's still running plays in from the sidelines and blowing 20-25 seconds off the clock when we should have been getting up on the damn ba and snapping it. Jesus F Christ you must not have watched a damn thing we were doing

And remember when CPJ changed to signaling from the sidelines for a game or so and then abandoned it because it was too complicated for his old ass and he was afraid our calls were getting stolen? Jesus.

This team can beat UGA. Not because we're that great, but because we're a bad matchup for them.

Us mediocre defense vs. Them mediocre offense
Us potent offense vs. Them good defense

I say this as someone who has picked the correct winner in every game except UNC

Outsider looking in: When did the wheels come off the football program? What I mean by that is as a UGA fan, I used to dread playing GT. In a bad year GT would be 6-5 or 7-4 and most years they gave UGA a fight to the end and won a fair share of those games. To me it feels like the CPJ years started the downward trend because of the effect his offense had on recruiting. I’m not saying GT didn’t win games but recruiting became for a special type player for a system only a few teams were running. GT is still coming out of that (possibly). CGC may not ultimately be the guy but he is serving to change the type players GT recruits which is a positive. It was going to take a few years to turn this ship in the right direction no matter who the new guy was. I know you guys will give me ööööe for this and I may be all wrong but that’s what it looks like to an outsider.

This team can beat UGA. Not because we're that great, but because we're a bad matchup for them.

Us mediocre defense vs. Them mediocre offense
Us potent offense vs. Them good defense

I say this as someone who has picked the correct winner in every game except UNC
Exactly how I see it. Of we can somehow block that damn DT who decided to forego NFL top 10 pick money to return to UGAg to "finish the drill" then we have a chance. UGAs DL is scary good.

On a related note, IMO, Kirby should have basically forced that DT to go pro after last season. A player costs himself millions of dollars and risks injury to make millions of dollars for coach Great Clips? IMO, Kirbs likely selfishly encouraged the DY to stay to win a championship. That DT could be earning a huge paycheck right now after a huge signing bonus. Stupidity at its best. Even if he doesn't get injured and is drafted this season, he has still left millions on the table by not going pro a season sooner.

If I were a head coach and had a bona fide top 10 pick on the team, my advice would be to go now. It would have been great to have Calvin Johnson for another season, but how does that help him? 1st rounders, especially top 10 picks, are idiots if they choose to stay in school.

We are improving on offense and special teams. Two out of three ain’t bad.
Pitt and Uva QB’s are elite.

Pretty sad when we’re dreaming of winning 5 games every year, worrying we may not get there because we got nobody left on the schedule that sucks bad enough to think we have a better than 50-50 shot to beat them.

"every year" is being melodramatic. Expecting at least 5 wins isn't the same as dreaming of.

Outsider looking in: When did the wheels come off the football program? What I mean by that is as a UGA fan, I used to dread playing GT. In a bad year GT would be 6-5 or 7-4 and most years they gave UGA a fight to the end and won a fair share of those games. To me it feels like the CPJ years started the downward trend because of the effect his offense had on recruiting. I’m not saying GT didn’t win games but recruiting became for a special type player for a system only a few teams were running. GT is still coming out of that (possibly). CGC may not ultimately be the guy but he is serving to change the type players GT recruits which is a positive. It was going to take a few years to turn this ship in the right direction no matter who the new guy was. I know you guys will give me ööööe for this and I may be all wrong but that’s what it looks like to an outsider.
Our problem is we beat UGAg in 2008 and GT fans can't see past that. GT fans are living that game the way Gaggers relive 1980, although the 1980 chants seem to be fading in the gagger fanbase as the fanbase ages.

We still have GT fans here, the ancient ones, who insist we should only wear white jerseys, gold pants, and gold helmets for every single game for now and ever because, by God, our fight songs are "Up with the white and gold" and we dress her in "white and gold". We go through the same crap every season.

Some of our fans have latched onto the few wins CPJ had against UGAg and can't move on. Yes, we won those games. They were close games that could have gone either way. If Richard Samuel doesn't fumble a kickoff, we probably end up losing one of them.

I want some dominating wins and the ability to put some back to back wins up against UGA.

why the heck would you join a Georgia tech message board if you’re a UGA fan?

We are improving on offense and special teams. Two out of three ain’t bad.
Pitt and Uva QB’s are elite.
Pickett has 23 TF passes and 1 pick. He is right at 70% completion rate this season. Had WR's drop at least two passes yesterday. Pretty awesome stats. He should be at the top of the Heisman list. If Pitt wins out and makes the playoffs, provided he doesn't have an epic collapse, he should be the Heisman favorite.

Back