A Few More Questions Please

VU7376

Varsity Lurker
My wife and I are 50+ yr. old Vandy fans and will be driving down from Chattanooga.Our plan is to drive to someplace like Dunwoody and take MARTA to the North Avenue station.Is this a good idea? How far a walk is it from the station to the Peters Parking Deck (there's a big Vandy party there)? And finally,will it be safe to ride the MARTA from North Avenue back to Dunwoody after the game(9:30-10PM)? Your input would be appreciated.Thanks.

Personally, I'd park at the Varsity and walk over to Peters Parking Deck. The walk from the North Avenue Marta station is actually a block further.

If you're headed back to the Scenic City after the game, access to the Interstate is easy from the Varsity lots, and you'll be home in no time.

yea, I agree there will be LOTS of parking $10 that is just as close if not closer than Marta. It is also easy to get back on I75.

coming down 75 south take 10/14th exit then kick over to the left (cross over 75) and then take the first right. This road will take you by Cheetah but drive N down this road and there will be numerous places to park.

There is one big parking deck that I where I usually park.

Then you walk under bridge to the stadium.

I would stay away from Marta if possible.

Thanks again for your gracious assistance.I can't wait to be playing you folks again!

Originally posted by VU7376:
My wife and I are 50+ yr. old Vandy fans and will be driving down from Chattanooga.Our plan is to drive to someplace like Dunwoody and take MARTA to the North Avenue station.Is this a good idea? How far a walk is it from the station to the Peters Parking Deck (there's a big Vandy party there)? And finally,will it be safe to ride the MARTA from North Avenue back to Dunwoody after the game(9:30-10PM)? Your input would be appreciated.Thanks.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If you absolutely HAVE to take MARTA, I would park at the Perimeter Mall station, which is located near I-285.

BBR

Nothing wrong with taking Marta. Very easy access. And you can stop by the Varsity on your way back after the game and drown your sorrows with a Frosted Orange.

drinking.gif

Agreed. MARTA is perfectly safe, and is convenient. Driving is no big deal, though. If you're coming down 85, then it's actually about the same distance to drive to Tech than it is to drive across 285 to Dunwoody. Of course, if you're coming down 400 then it's a different story. Personally, I used to live in Dunwoody, right by the MARTA station, and still drove to every game.

Marta would not be a bad choice, the station at Perimeter (Ashford-Dunwoody exit off of I-285) would be most convienent for you probably. North Ave station to Peter's park will be a 5-6 block walk. There's safety in numbers and I'm sure there will be a good many people taking the train after the game and in any case, that's probably the safest section of Marta to ride at any time.

You can't park at the Varsity for the game, but there are several parking lots in that area. In and out access is very easy, if you know what you're doing, but if you're not familiar with the area, you could get stuck in some royally bad traffic.

Is this a good idea?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It is a good idea and would be fine. You won't have to hassle with parking around the stadium and it will be slightly cheaper than paying for parking ($6 for 4 tokens vs. $10 or more for parking).

However, there are places to park on the east side of the interstate and the walk would be comparable to the walk from Marta.

How far a walk is it from the station to the Peters Parking Deck (there's a big Vandy party there)?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I would say about a 15 minute walk. No more than a mile.

And finally,will it be safe to ride the MARTA from North Avenue back to Dunwoody after the game(9:30-10PM)?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yes it will be perfectly safe.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Marta is fine, especially on the north side of
the line which is where you would be riding. I
would suggest hopping on at the Perimeter station
as the other Hivers have. The walk from the
station to BDS isn't bad and you will have plenty
of company during it. You'll also walk right past
the Varsity's front door.

My wife and I use Marta frequently to get to the
airport or to concerts and sporting events in town.

Thank you all again! It is so refreshing to be playing an opponent whose fans are so willing to go out of their way to be hospitable.As you may have heard, most SEC schools are a bit lacking in gentility.I will ask you for but one more favor...please beat the Alpo out of the Georgia Bulldogs this year.God Bless.

I will ask you for but one more favor...please beat the Alpo out of the Georgia Bulldogs this year.God Bless.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Book it.

(nice flag, BBR)

Back