A HUGE win for the kids, and a negative for Gailey

BEESerk

Flats Noob
Make no mistake, I am very happy for this win. There is a lot that the kids can take out of this. In the face of adversity (and dare I say total collapse of this team) RB put this team on his shoulders. Attitudes are contagious, and hopefully some of his teamates caught some of it overtime. It certainly appeared that they did. I guess it took them 3.9 quarters to figure it out, but even F$U took nearly that long to come alive and snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat.

The kids deserve all of the credit for this one, and I hope they use it as another lesson in what happens when you never give up.

Now onto Gailey.....

I don't care how many players we have lost, how young our QB is, or how many flag boys we have in the band this year. I will never accept losing to the likes of Vandy, and we were damn near in that position. Neither will I accept needing a miracle to beat a team like Vandy. Here we go again with our inability to score points. Whoopity do, we put up a blistering 17 points against the mighty Vandy defense. Remind me again, how much did we beat them by last year?

Apparently the media didn't get the memo from Gailey to write blistering articles all week about how bad this team is. Gailey's team wasn't highly motivated or all that inspired until they realized they might actually LOSE to Vandy. That isn't Gailey's fault though, he said it is the media's responsibility to teach his players how to get motivated and focus on the task at hand.

Having said the above, we are right were I expected us to be record wise. I said 4 wins, and anythign else is Gravy. My biggest criteria for judging this team was going to be improvement in performance and discipline. Gailey gets a grade of D in both catgeroies 5 games into the season. He would get and F, but apparently I have to give him some credit for the naked bootleg call.

We had another 3 for 14 in 3rd down conversions. Vandy beat us in total offense, passing, TOP, and first downs. Luckily we beat them in the one category that counts.

As far as discipline... I will give you a quote from Gailey himself:

"I was very frustrated. We'd make a first down and then get a penalty"

For me this is all just another data point in the collection of evidence of what Gailey can do. As I said before, record wise we are ok for my satisfaction. The other items are not going in the direction that I am personally hoping for. There are still 7 games left. Gailey can still get this team turned around. He is definitely fighting an uphill battle though.

About the only thing we really learned from this...

We now know how F$U felt 2 weeks ago.

Yeah...and we almost lost to UCF back in 2000 with
O'Leary and Friedgen on the sideline and Godsey at
quarterback...

Vandy loses a couple of heartbreakers to good teams
EVERY year.

I'm not really sure what your point is Cracker. What does the 2000 UCF game have to do 20003 Vandy game?

I remember in the UCF game that the coaches knew that what they had been trying to do was not working, and made in game adjustments by bringing Crenshaw in. That sparked the turnaround of our performance in that game.

Are you trying to make a comparison of the teams? The coaches? the quarterbacks? I am being honest and sincere here, I don't understand what you are getting at.

I am just making a fair critique of what I perceive to be Gailey's performance. This team is Jekyl and Hyde right now, so I can't say if he is good or bad. I have been very consistent in that aspect. I intend to give him his fair chance to be successful here, but that doesn't mean i can't call it like I see it.

My point was in rebuttal to this...

I will never accept losing to the likes of Vandy, and we were damn near in that position.

My goal was to remind people that sometimes a small
team can knock off a bigger team they have no
business being on the field with.

It doesn't matter who is coaching and who is at
QB in alot of those cases. The games are played
for a reason.

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
My point was in rebuttal to this...

I will never accept losing to the likes of Vandy, and we were damn near in that position.

My goal was to remind people that sometimes a small
team can knock off a bigger team they have no
business being on the field with.

It doesn't matter who is coaching and who is at
QB in alot of those cases. The games are played
for a reason.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahh, I understand now. I don't disagree with you one bit. Anyone can beat anyone on a given day.

That has NOTHING to do with standards, preparing for a lesser opponent, and/or accepting that loss simply because the game was played.

I don't refute the facts, and I don't want to take away anything from those teams that pull off upsets. Let them bask in their glory because the deserve it, but I will not pat our program on the back simply because someone must win a game that is played.

good post BEE

Back