A look back at the beginning of the nightmare..........

B*** L**** -
Hard work and really focusing on the state of the Georgia. The state of Georgia is our focus in recruiting and always will be.
shocked.gif

Sometimes you can't win for losing, I guess.

interesting read 2BigT.

i really appreciate the articles that you've been digging up. thanks. that definitely counts as a significant contribution to the board.

I remember that class was hailed as one of the greatest in GT history. I believe CJ Williams was Super 11 as well as 3 other kids:

Steagall
Harie Robinson
TJ Johnson

Remember that Shivers kid from Lakeside. He sure could fly. We recruited the best kids in the state that year. It didn't get us too far. It is kind of timely considering the Brad Lester stuff being posted on the Hive. You have to be careful offering ships because a kid is local and their local county paper says they are going to be all-world.

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
Newnan's Derrick Steagall was recruited as a QB. Wasn't his injury an ACL tear?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Yep, he tore up his knee in '96, I think. Didn't he break his arm in his freshman year (seems like it was at Carolina)?

Originally posted by Axe:
Georgia 51 Georgia Tech 7
-A day to remember
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Axe, isn't it time to lose this sig? Makes you sound like a gloating dawg not a Jacket at all...

ramblinwise1,

The fact that our players could allow themselves to be beaten so badly in Athens, GA is why I carry that sig with me. I love our players and believe they work awfully hard, but for the last two years we've been a team that liked to win, but one that could accept losing. You could throw a bunch of walk-ons out there with guys like Brooking, Rogers, Key, Young, Burns, Campbell, etc. and they wouldn't allow their teammates to get whipped like that. It wasn't just their ability on the field, it was the fact that they couldn't stand to lose. I remember Chris Young destroying the sideline at WF'99 while he was crying after the game. Who is that guy on the current team? We've been missing that toughness. Perhaps, 51-7 can inspire some leaders on the team to find that special something.

My message is if you're going to go through winter workouts, summer workouts, and two-a-days you better not forget what it felt like at the end of 51-7. Paint it on the wall while you're lifting weights, put it on your undershirt, remember what it felt like and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I don't care about wins and losses. I just want to see a Tech team that plays harder than its opponent and a team that hates to lose. When I see that again, the sig will be retired.

Originally posted by Axe:
ramblinwise1,

My message is if you're going to go through winter workouts, summer workouts, and two-a-days you better not forget what it felt like at the end of 51-7. Paint it on the wall while you're lifting weights, put it on your undershirt, remember what it felt like and make sure it doesn't happen again.

I don't care about wins and losses. I just want to see a Tech team that plays harder than its opponent and a team that hates to lose. When I see that again, the sig will be retired.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Hey Axe,

Something like, remember the Alamo, Pearl Harbour, 911? I can see that, but you might want to flip the teams around, list Tech first, maybe something about a Day that will Live in Infamy…..

Axe, unfortunately, I've noticed that too.

It seemed to start when we missed our F$U date in 01. No excuses, but we need that leadership back on the team from the players' perspective.

We used to have a decided edge in constructive enthusiasm, hustle and desire. I hope it returns this year!

AFR Jacket,

A couple of weeks ago I caught GT vs. Clemson '01 on CSS. It almost brought me to tears. We obviously played well in the first half until we let Dantzler score at the end of the half and we gave up some cheap stuff in the 3rd. But we came out in the 4th and absolutely stuck it to them Our offense did whatever it wanted and they couldn't get anything against our defense. Sidney Ford took a draw straight into the endzone and Bobby Dodd was really rocking. We were on top of the world. In my mind that was the last time I saw the swagger. When Dantzler threw that bomb on 4th and 13 for the TD, we were crushed and we haven't regained what we had when Sidney darted into the endzone.

Axe,
You got that right. The combo of a 3-week layoff and Daryl Smith exiting the game created an unfortunate "new" Jacket attitude which hasn't been the same since.

BTW: Is there a way to reply to an individual vs. replying at the bottom of the thread? How do folks know who you're replying to, if not?

I don't think there is a way to reply to an individual post, although I could be wrong. You just have to let the person know you're talking to them. I guess you get used to it.

100% right guys. I tell my kids (my own and the ones I coach) that sometimes luck goes against you or you run into a better team. But there is never an excuse for being outworked or outhustled. You earn your opponent's respect and your selfrespect by playing just as hard as you can every play of every game. That's all you can control.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
100% right guys. I tell my kids (my own and the ones I coach) that sometimes luck goes against you or you run into a better team. But there is never an excuse for being outworked or outhustled. You earn your opponent's respect and your selfrespect by playing just as hard as you can every play of every game. That's all you can control.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The words I like to use when I have coached are "you will lose some games but never lose your pride, look them in the eyes and let them know they won the game but they did not beat you..." It is totally unnerving to a gloating redneck/thug to smile, look them square in the eye and firmly shake their hands after a loss. They don't know what to make of it. They sought to make it an event where they achieve pleasure at your humiliation but you steal their thunder by transcending the event...

This is exactly why the 'Bill Lewis' Syndrome is rampant in the Ga Tech community. This is exactly why so many Tech fans are possibly 'overly nervous' with the job the new coach is doing. It's a crying shame that Gailey is saying so many things that Lewis did.
The very successful GT coach gets a chance to take a step up in the direction they want to go, so they leave of their own accord. The Tech fan feels a little jilted. The new coach comes in & doesn't quite live up to expectations & stumbles a tad. The new coach immediately points to mental toughness & wants to toughen up the Tech players because the 1st yr didn't quite live up to his predicessor.
Players that could play important roles get dropped for academic reasons as the new coach doesn't know to watch this closer. Their own new recruits start to fall by the wayside, quickly, & don't ever contribute to GT. The asst coaches do not contribute much to the Tech team either.
It's a shame that Tech got burned so badly by Lewis & now the Tech fans are so nervous with Gailey. The fans know how quickly a bad HC can take you down the sewer. But on the other hand Gailey has a chance to break the mold & get things going. He's starting his 2nd yr & I sincerely pray he does not continue down the Lewis road, but shows his coaching acumen.
Unfortunately, Gailey sounds a lot like Lew.

AFRJacket, this is the way I respond to a particular post. I start the post off with their name.

Good to post with you again. It has been a long time. Welcome back.

blue.gif
blue.gif
blue.gif

Ahsoisee,

I remember when you first came on the Hive and had a question about posting or something. It's nice to see you again.

I'm still a Hiver, but I'll support any Tech board. I guess I just prefer the guidelines over there.

you're very welcome.

How bout that recruiting class? Funny how many of the memorable names in that group switched positions.

Newnan's Derrick Steagall was recruited as a QB. Wasn't his injury an ACL tear?

New York's Ken Celaj a tight end. Guy had some awesome tattoos. Mean SOB!

Woodward's CJ Williams a defensive back. Of course, to me at least, his spectacular performances are now overshadowed by his going to the press over O'Leary loaning him money and later talking of suing for hurting his draft chances.

Back