A positive note on PR.

LLCoolJacket

Damn Good Rat
An old friend of mine who happens to be a very well respected fixture at GTAA allowed me some time to visit with him and discuss some of my concerns with the state of the program.

Because of my respect for him and our friendship, I will only share the following, which I believe he would want true Tech fans to know.

I told him of my frustration and displeasure with the bunker mentality of the AA. He understood my feelings and actually agreed to a point. The mailing of "The Letter" in fact, was a hotly debated item internally.

The positive result is that the powers have concluded that the lack of communication with the loyal fan base has been a big mistake, and is in the process of being fixed. I won't say how exactly, but it will be evident that public relations will be a priority.

I will add this note as well, which I found amazing.... The average SAT score for incoming Ga. Tech freshman is 20 points lower than those of Harvard's freshmen. However, the grad rate at Harvard is 90something percent compared to Tech's relatively low grad rate. The point was that at Harvard and many other schools of less prestige, once you got in it was the responsibility of the faculty to get you through. At Tech, the fun begins when you get in.

I came away from my meeting refreshed and confident that we have some damn fine people down there.

Although I agree that Tech should probably do more do assist students as opposed to "weeding them out," the grade and graduation rate at Harvard and several other highly respected academic institutions (Stanford and Duke come to mind), are the result of rampant and egregious grade inflation. Tech perhaps represents the other extreme; there should be a middle ground somewhere. Unfortunately, higher education is populated by large intellects, large egos, but precious little wisdom and common sense. Witness the handling of the expansion process, which was done by the presidents, not the AD's.

Anytime our football team is compared with Harvard Univ.....I know we are in trouble. (I know we are 2-10, but look at all the academic All-Americans!!!) That ain't gonna fly.
BOO

Diff between Harvard & Tech is most classes at Harvard can be subjectively graded.. The core of Tech's classes require objective grading.. You can't fudge a bunch of people thru Tech who are going to be responsible for designing & building if they don't comprehend what it takes to keep buildings standing upright...

LL.. I've seen several posts lately where people say they've spoken to someone influential & that changes are coming... But then don't give any specifics..

I won't believe anything until someone has the nuts to pony up names, timeframes & specifics... Otherwise all sounds like to me is beer talk...

That's fine with me, but if I were to fantasize on the internet I would have gone to "Girls gone Wild".

the best PR is a winning program. We go sub .500 a limo ride to the stadium will not be enough.

Originally posted by law_bee:
the best PR is a winning program. We go sub .500 a limo ride to the stadium will not be enough.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">law_bee,

Not even if GTAA throws in "Girls gone Wild"..

LL, thanks much for the positive report. I do sincerely hope that the PR efforts are glaringly apparent and that they appear soon and continue.

Back