A True Test for the Defense is Coming

bluth-no.gif

CPJ vs Cutcliffe - 6 games, 6 wins, average margin of victory 20.8 points. Only one game within 1 score at the end.

Wish more teams would give us 'fits' like this:

Tech Duke
10/4/2008 27 0
11/14/2009 49 10
11/20/2010 30 20
11/19/2011 38 31
11/17/2012 42 24
9/14/2013 38 14

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I honestly think we're giving Boone too much credit for what he was hyped to do this year. They have minimal passing threats outside of Crowder and Boone hasn't been playing well. Unless they used the bye to make a groundbreaking gameplan we should own this team.

:biggthumpup:

Mind = rite

Duke scored ten points against Miami. They played one team of value and didn't look good. Duke isn't very good, they just play a limp-wristed schedule.

I hate to say it but I think when Miami's defense plays well they are much better than ours. Duke is going to play well this game we've got to be ready to answer. I see it being like the 2011 game, score answered by a score. Turnovers will be the key just like most games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice carve out to make a quote fit your narrative. How do you predict the game will go? Will dominate in all three phases like we did against every other team we've played?

I hate to say it but I think when Miami's defense plays well they are much better than ours. Duke is going to play well this game we've got to be ready to answer. I see it being like the 2011 game, score answered by a score. Turnovers will be the key just like most games.

Here's my prediction:

Duke is going to look silly.

How do you predict the game will go?

I believe that Duke will score some points in the first half, but that we will make adjustments as we have been able to do in the past few games and be effective in the second half.

And I believe that we will wear down there defense with our TOP advantage, and will grind the yardage out in the second half.

I think you negative nancys are really underestimating just how good the offense is executing. And they are doing it in ways that aren't necessarily going to be prone to mistakes. JT hasn't really done anything risky and he is running the TO very well. CPJ said as much himself last night. Said we ran the TO a lot more than we had yet this season, and that JT did a good job of reading the defense.

I think Duke's experienced offense and non-crazy playcalling coming off of a bye will give our defense its stiffest challenge yet.

Looking at the Depth Chart it looked like they have an upperclassman at every starting position on offense. Granted they're Duke upperclassmen, but still that type of experience will not lend itself well to our current strategy of waiting for critical mistakes. I think we'll be more willing to press in coverage this week, but the defense will have to play another smart, disciplined, fast game.

Both VPI and Miami came in with some injury concerns to their offensive line. Duke has no such health concerns. And we had the bye week to prepare for Miami.

I think we'll finally see the shootout many of us have been predicting throughout the year.

I still think we can beat Duke with a B- overall game, but we'll need the defense to make a couple stops.

OP makes a solid point. +1

The rest of this thread is a hot mess. It's your typical "Duke sucks because Duke" debate, that can be spun both ways depending on how far back in the Duke football history you dive.

The truth to me is clear that GT could lose to Duke. I don't expect to. We are favored, and we are better. But they are capable of scoring against our bend-but-don't-break defense, and we are capable of multiple turnovers on a bad day.

Miami's defense is better than ours, but that doesn't make Duke any better. They're a bottom half team statistically if you take SoS into account for most things, and straight up bad in others. They're basically Pittsburgh, only much more pretentious.

fa·nat·ic
fəˈnadik/
noun
a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause.
synonyms: zealot, extremist, militant, dogmatist, devotee, adherent; More

I don't see a lot of this here lately. I see a bunch of wet noodles. One of the, if not THE, most frustrating aspects of being a Tech fan is having to tolerate other Tech fans. This team has done nothing but give us reason to stand up and believe and cheer and all many of you can do is sit and fret.

At the game on Saturday, I saw some very excited fans, but I saw even more wet noodles, sitting on their asses, unmoved by the efforts of our team on the field. It is truly pathetic. Are you such losers that you can't appreciate and enjoy the thrill of winning and knowing your team is capable of winning EVERY game? Get it together, people. Be fanatics.

I don't see a lot of this here lately. I see a bunch of wet noodles. One of the, if not THE, most frustrating aspects of being a Tech fan is having to tolerate other Tech fans. This team has done nothing but give us reason to stand up and believe and cheer and all many of you can do is sit and fret.

At the game on Saturday, I saw some very excited fans, but I saw even more wet noodles, sitting on their asses, unmoved by the efforts of our team on the field. It is truly pathetic. Are you such losers that you can't appreciate and enjoy the thrill of winning and knowing your team is capable of winning EVERY game? Get it together, people. Be fanatics.

PREACH IT BRO! Preach it! :biggthumpup::bowrofl::biggthumpup::bowrofl:

Definitely sigging that one liner.

Far more scared of UVA and NCST than Pitt at this point. They lost to Akron, who is...not good.

I'm not "scared" of anyone. We are going to rape and pillage our way to Charlotte and beyond this year.

Just saying Pitt aren't a bunch of nancies like Duke, even if they are not a good football team.

Pittsburgh might be capable of punching someone in the mouth. Duke would prefer slap fights.
No, UVA would prefer the slap fight, preferably with a gloved hand and an antiquated 19th century insult.

Duke would instead talk about how much smarter they are because they only care about trying to kick you, but they won't do it.

Our d better get ready. Duke is the best read option offense we have faced this year. They run it better than GSU and Wofford, with better athletes to boot.

Our O should be consistent and we have better special teams. We should win. But don't sleep on Duke. The are better this year than when we played them last year.

Based on how they have played us in the past on D, our wideouts better be in the mood to catch, because Duke has crowded the LOS forcing down field passes.

I believe that Duke will score some points in the first half, but that we will make adjustments as we have been able to do in the past few games and be effective in the second half.

And I believe that we will wear down there defense with our TOP advantage, and will grind the yardage out in the second half.

I think you negative nancys are really underestimating just how good the offense is executing. And they are doing it in ways that aren't necessarily going to be prone to mistakes. JT hasn't really done anything risky and he is running the TO very well. CPJ said as much himself last night. Said we ran the TO a lot more than we had yet this season, and that JT did a good job of reading the defense.

Margin of victory:
Wofford: 19
Tulane: 17
Ga Southern: 4
VT: 3
Miami: 11

I am predicting 7 to 10 against Duke, you are predicting 44, and somehow I am more wrong than you are.

We are good, but 57 points means 8 TD drives with a 2-pt conversion or 6 TD's and 5 FG's or 8 TD drive, two missed extra points, and a field goal. Or, you are assuming defensive or special teams TD's.

That may happen, but crazy to predict based on a ball control offense and a bend but don't break defense. I'd predict 8 to 10 drives per team. Scoring on 6 or 7 gives me my low 30's, they score on 5 or so give them their low to mid 20's. You expect us to score on 8+ drives, regardless of if they are their or ours. I hope you are right, but I can't predict that.

Back