Academics

demjackets

Damn Good Rat
Dont believe everything you read, especially todays article in the AJC. There are a couple people who were borderline with grades, the AJC states today that Matt Rhodes is one of them, that is false.

Seems like we are having more issues here than normal. Is that the case, or are they just more public? Seems strange to me coming off of a summer semester, which was always the easiest semester for me in school...

There's problems not as much as Knobler has made it out to be, and not Matt Rhodes like he stated.

Seems like we are having more issues here than normal. Is that the case, or are they just more public? Seems strange to me coming off of a summer semester, which was always the easiest semester for me in school...

It has been normal since I started following Tech football in the 70's to lose a few kids each year to academics. Last year was just special....and should not be expected each year.

Well I'm happy Matt Rhodes is not in academic trouble, but he is the one player that in my opinion doesn't need to be a starter. He got owned in three games that I recall last year and in the Notre Dame game kept getting abused so bad he had 3 stupid penalties which cost us valuable field position.

I seriously cannot figure out why he is still starting. Especially when he was benched in favor of Dunmon who apparently was getting the job done.

Last year was special, but we did lose a couple of guys last year due to academics, as we seem to every year (like most every other school... Tech is hard... go figure), including Kenny Scott (who I think would have made a pretty big difference in the GB), Reggie, Justin Gaudagni, and one more if I am remembering correctly (Cox?). I think we are hearing more about injuries and academics since the AJC is stepping up it's coverage. Rather than worrying, we just have to realize that these things happen every year and not let it ruin our outlook. The team will be fine.

I thought we went through this last year. I distinctly remember people pointing out where you were wrong in a number of games about Rhodes and thought you had agreed in a couple of cases that you may have been mistaken. Im not saying who should or shouldn't start because frankly I don't have a clue. But I'd hate to think you're going to start this all over again before the season even starts.

NC, my specifics may be off, but my overall opinion isn't. There are some previous olineman who have played that happen to agree with me.

In three different games last year he got beat a couple of times and then would follow that up with a holding penalty. In two of those games, Gailey benched him to replace him with Dunmon or Howard who got the job done, but then the next game, he was starting again.

I just don't believe he is the best option at LG and haven't for sometime.

NC, my specifics may be off, but my overall opinion isn't. There are some previous olineman who have played that happen to agree with me.

In three different games last year he got beat a couple of times and then would follow that up with a holding penalty. In two of those games, Gailey benched him to replace him with Dunmon or Howard who got the job done, but then the next game, he was starting again.

I just don't believe he is the best option at LG and haven't for sometime.

I'm sure Coach D would appreciate your help the next time you can make it to practice.

Rhodes is a senior, he will start till someone can beat him out. They have all had their chances, Dunmon is close but he hasnt just blown anyone away in practice.

Wouldn't tha tbe something if Gailey was stalling on purpose:

"Asked if Rhodes was in the same category as Howard and Clark, Gailey said, "We've got a bunch of guys in that same category."

Weis already admitted he was stalling on the QB situation.

You're right sidewalk. Lets just trust the coaches to play the right kids. That got us 4 years of Ball.

I know enough football to know that our LG isn't the best player to start at that position. He's a solid contributor, but in my opinion Dunmon should be in there.

BOR, you are absolutely right on this one. Rhodes was the weak link on the OL. He was awful early in the season, although in fairness, I thought that he improved over the course of the season (as did the OL generally, which was adequate at pass blocking at the end of the year for the first time in the 5 year reign of Gailey/Coach D).

Don't let the guys who only watch the ball get you down, as I am sure that you won't.

Rhodes is NOT on the sideline for academics!!!

FYI, Matt was one of the players honored last year at the Duke game for academic excellence!:bowdown:

As far as performance, I will leave that up to Coach D, Bond, & Gailey. Every practice is filmed and gone over closely, not to mention the scrimmages and games.

Don't let the guys who only watch the ball get you down, as I am sure that you won't.

You are truly the master of unjustified condescension.

This was discussed in great detail last year, and all of BoR's specific complaints about Rhodes turned out to be hallucinations.

Back