ACC and Early Pre-Season Top 25!

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
I have NEVER seen this in my years of following the ACC and especially since Tech entered! ACC is definitely getting a lot better in the football wars.

ESPN's Ivan Maisel's early Top 25 HAS 4 ACC TEAMS IN THE TOP 20! Sorry, we're not one of them!

#9 Virginia
#13 FSU
#14 Maryland
#18 NC State

After following recruiting for more the 10 years I've really seen the change in blue chip recruits looking this way! I know a lot has to do with coaching and individual team success but having been known as a basketball conference for soooo long, this is good to see.

UVA will have to prove it on the field before I rate them a top 10 team. Not saying they can't do it, but I'll have to see it first.

The ACC is pretty strong--top to bottom. This year, we beat each other up pretty good--teams lost games they shouldn't have--and people mistook it for weakness.

The ACC didn't look weak in the bowls, especially when Maryland whupped the trash talking bunch from UFK. My buddy who's hard core SEC was even happy to see that. UFK was talkin' smack when they were down 17 points--and it only got worse from there.

Just the fact that they "consider" all these teams from the ACC in the TOP 20 says a lot for what the ACC has done in football.

They'll all have to prove themselves but I'm just glad this conference is moving up and getting some good recognition!

i agree MsTech .. the very fact that the ACC is getting recognition is GREAT

this "ranking" poll is stupid. pre season polls are useless and this is a pre season poll months away from the start of next season. we are not even a week away from the end of last year and we already have rankings for next year.

and then a mutt has to drop in and start discussing the rankings.

what MsTech is trying to point out is that the media is giving ACC some respect and deservedly so.

Agree, MsTech.

UVA may still be a year away, but they're headed up, no doubt.

Very good point. It's nice to see these schools ranked like that at this point in the game. There have been years where FSU, UVA, UNC, and GT have been ranked pretty high in a season, but it was different than this. Those years we had four in the past were scattered out throughout that year at different times not all really ranked high at the same time.

In my mind FSU is the team to beat, but I love seeing these other teams there in rankings. Hopefully we can do some things that will get us there in the near future.

In SI's pre-pre-season top ten, FSU and UVA are ranked #s 9 and 10, respectively.

Am I missing something about FSU next year?

Those pre-pre-season lists are pretty ridiculous. The writers rank teams mostly out of habit, i.e., the FSU and UFK rankings. Then, they ice the cake with shocker picks, i.e., Auburn (which is fine...the jackets will start the season with a win against a top five team!).

It sucks to be the shocker team and fail, a la our 2001 season. Actually, Ugag was the shocker pick in 2000. Sucked for them, sweet for the jackets.

Virginia @ #9 is very optimistic IMO! FSU is more like a #20 team. Maryland and NC ST will be tough.

The numbers might be jumbled but they are pretty accurate as to who is in the top 25. UVA is for real. Groh has a system, the players have confidence, and he has recruited well. Ditto for NC State and Maryland. FSU has indeed fallen - I think the asst. coaches are not as good as a few years ago, but they are still good enough to beat most of the ACC week in week out. Clemson will battle Wake for middle spots, relegating Tech to battle with UNC and Duke for the bottom. Duke may very well win a couple of league games, as they return everyone and had a couple of games all but won last year. Bad news from the homefront - we , along with the Tar Heels, are the only teams in reverse and were declining, not getting better at seasons end.

Back