ACC Athlon first year coaching grades

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Collins is closer to #3 than #13. Nobody could have won more than 3 games at GT last year orlther than PJ and it wouldn’t have been more than 5-6. Collins’ very first signing class is the best ever in the modern era of GT.
Thing is, if former coach was here in 2019 and if we had won 5 or 6, there are several who would have claimed that as amazing.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Thing is, if former coach was here in 2019 and if we had won 5 or 6, there are several who would have claimed that as amazing.
The amount of wins he put up, given the talent disparity, is definitely amazing. I'm not sure there is another coach in the country who could have won 11 with our 2014 roster.

The problem is the talent disparity was his responsibility, and it wasn't changing anytime soon. We had regressed to a very mediocre mean, so it was best for everyone to move on. Now we're excited about the future, for good reason.

User 10337

The amount of wins he put up, given the talent disparity, is definitely amazing. I'm not sure there is another coach in the country who could have won 11 with our 2014 roster.

The problem is the talent disparity was his responsibility, and it wasn't changing anytime soon. We had regressed to a very mediocre mean, so it was best for everyone to move on. Now we're excited about the future, for good reason.
Big time recruits are excited too. Enough to sign with us.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein

I didn’t see a huge slip in talent relative to the 2014 team. We were basically at the same level as when Tevin was the QB. Clearly, we needed a great option QB to play at a high level. The fact that we didn’t have one fell on CPJ.

But, iiwii. We have gone a new direction. I was unimpressed with Pat. It doesn’t matter though. He gets at least one more year. Being able to swap coordinators is a feature of the ceo style hc.

The recruiting classes are looking good. We have been able to fill some holes with grad transfers. And we are finally filling up all of our schollys. That in itself will pay dividends.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
Meh. We were horrible last year, so it's hard to argue. I think we'll be able to grade him much better after this season.
Can't do much as a coach when you don't have either line. I don't care how popular you are with some posters.

And the cavalry is definitely on its way.

cbee

Flats Noob
I think it is fair to give the OC and DC a pass for last year. What concerned me more than scheme and execution was preparation and game management as well as some early lack of discipline issues. Too many men on the field, defensive players looking lost at the snap of the ball or even occurrences where a player was rushing onto the field as the ball was snapped, punting on 4th and 5 from midfield in the 4th quarter down by 3 scores, etc. Those are the things that concerned me. Let’s face it, GC does not have a lot of head coaching experience and will (we all hope) grow into a great one. Seems to have the recruiting down, which is big, now time to develop game management and savvy.

gtGreg768b

Elemenopee
Last year was a mulligan; everybody knows that. This year is probably also a mulligan. It would be great to see another top 25 recruiting class this year.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
I didn’t see a huge slip in talent relative to the 2014 team. We were basically at the same level as when Tevin was the QB. Clearly, we needed a great option QB to play at a high level. The fact that we didn’t have one fell on CPJ.
that last statement is a little harsh given Jaylend Ratcliffe’s 2015 recruitment and subsequent tragedy. As well as his 2017/2018/2019 QB signings. Taquon was never supposed to be a starter.

You’re still ultimately correct b/c we didn’t have the depth. It’s just unfortunate that CPJ didn’t get to use any of the three 4* guys he signed as QBs (Ratliffe, Graham, Yates) after JT5.

gambler

Went all in with 80k
I’m not sold on Patenaude being fine but I’m willing to wait until he has an oline that isn’t a sieve before I make up my mind.
This is unreasonable and not something we do around here. What is wrong with you?Cast judgement swiftly first and then see what kind of Oracle you really are is the stingtalk way.