jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy
So 2 SEC schools
A B1G

and acc lumped in with the also rans for the last spot

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member

We should use this opportunity to blow up the ACC if possible. It is our only hope.
Explain.

"The ACC" is a collection of individual institutions, and the article makes clear that the individual institutions are for the most part united in their position. What would be more interesting to me is the other thing the article alludes to - the conversations taking place about replacing the NCAA as the organizing force behind college football.

1982Jacket

Dropper of the F Bomb
This is stupid. Every other sport plays it off. In D1 college football, half of you idiots are content to go along with the 4 teams that Kirk Herbstreit and ESPN pick for you. At least 8 and 16 would be better.
So you want to give Herb Kirkstreit and the NCAA a chance ot öööö up 8 selections, rather than just 4? If they have eight, what makes you think it won't just be the top four from the SEC, the top three from the Big 14, and one wild card?

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
This is stupid. Every other sport plays it off. In D1 college football, half of you idiots are content to go along with the 4 teams that Kirk Herbstreit and ESPN pick for you. At least 8 and 16 would be better.
It will never happen but I want six. P5 Conference Championships should be the de facto postseason first round. All P5 Conference champions in the playoffs, plus best of G5. No more at large conference also-rans, no more ööööing rematches.

No more subjective votes, no more retarded committees, no more real or perceived bias. Let the G5 conferences sort out their own drama. That controversy would be magnitudes less than what we continue to put up with every single year.

Last edited:

mookie43

Helluva Engineer
The SEC will be pissed with this. This will cost them hundreds of millions of dollars. Maybe they will be mad enough to invite 8 ACC members to their league and blow up the ACC. We can only hope.

PM Gold

Varsity Lurker
We have four playoff spots and five major conferences.
As of right now IMO ESPN is getting to pic two teams from the SEC each year which to me looks like a popularity contest.
I think with a four team playoff you shouldn't get in without winning your conference.
With it being a popularity contest just go back to the bowl selection process-which I'm not in favor of doing.
I think under the current process ESPN will shoe horn more SEC teams in an eight team play off.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
4 teams is the perfect number to balance playing it out vs keeping bowl games and conference alignments interesting, as long as the 4 teams are limited to conference. champions. only. It'd also help to scrap the abominable 13-person corrupt committee and just use the old BCS computers to tell you who the strongest 4 conferences are each year.

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
ACC should stop being screwed by the SEC, get all the other D1 conferences to join them, and form their own playoff. Let the SEC have their own conference and name themselves national champs - it will be a joke. The SEC needs all the others but people won't stand up to them.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
At first I thought this was stupid. Then I considered that the SEC expanding to 16 teams is the biggest reason for this (espn could honestly not care less if one of the other P5 champs or a G5 school gets left out, but it does care if there’s not enough room to get it’s SEC darlings to the dance).

So, this is a stick in the eye of the SEC. öööö them.

And it’s not going to affect us anytime soon either because we suck.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
So you want to give Herb Kirkstreit and the NCAA a chance ot öööö up 8 selections, rather than just 4? If they have eight, what makes you think it won't just be the top four from the SEC, the top three from the Big 14, and one wild card?
I don't think you would ever see 4 SEC teams when you have 8. Especially if P5 champs are auto-qualifiers. Then go best G5 team, best P5 team not a conference champ, then at large to next best selection. At most you could have 3/8 SEC teams. Right now it's too easy to get 2 SEC teams in, and no matter what, they'll never put them against each other in the semis, so there's always a chance of SEC/SEC championship. The odds are better with 8 that they play each other before the finals and they also have to play more top teams.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
It will never happen but I want six. P5 Conference Championships should be the de facto postseason first round. All P5 Conference champions in the playoffs, plus best of G5. No more at large conference also-rans, no more ööööing rematches.

No more subjective votes, no more retarded committees, no more real or perceived bias. Let the G5 conferences sort out their own drama. That controversy would be magnitudes less than what we continue to put up with every single year.
Nope. Six gives a huge advantage to the #1 and #2 seed because they get a bye in the first round. Make it 8 in that scenario so that those 2 teams have to play as well.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
This is the dumbest argument ever. You morons said the same thing about going from 2 to 4 and that's better than when it was only 2 SEC teams. At least this way they usually have to beat Clemson or another decent team.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
We have four playoff spots and five major conferences.
As of right now IMO ESPN is getting to pic two teams from the SEC each year which to me looks like a popularity contest.
I think with a four team playoff you shouldn't get in without winning your conference.
With it being a popularity contest just go back to the bowl selection process-which I'm not in favor of doing.
I think under the current process ESPN will shoe horn more SEC teams in an eight team play off.
OK, fine. Then it make 32 teams and that leaves ESPN the hell out of it.