"ACC Power Rankings"

GT1992

Dodd-Like
Outside of Tech fans our team has to be perceived as one lit match close to a dumpster fire. Half of the fans want CPJ gone while others want CTR gone. Top recruit bailed while last year's top recruit couldn't qualify and it feels like we lost 20 scholarship players during the off season. Then Tech appears to struggle against perceived weaker opponents. To top it all off there are a few look at me posters that want to tell us how bad Tech sucks at every opportunity. Then we get all pissy when the media ranks our team low.

I knew a kid that would make fun of his sister calling her butterball because she was overweight. But if anyone else made fun of her he would kick their ass. I guess it is OK for us to make fun of GT, but God forbid if anyone else does.
I'll take up for you, Butterball.

carmex

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember back in 2009 when Dinich wrote an article about how an 11-win GT team who knocked off VT was ruining the league? Something about how it's bad form to beat the teams that could legitimately represent the ACC in the national spot light.

Edit: found the blog post. The argument was that for the ACC to be relevant in college football, VT, FSU, and Miami all need to be "back" and national contenders. GT's wins over FSU and VT that season hurt the conference because GT will never be able to claim the national spot light like the other 3 schools. Quality post from a "neutral" blogger.
Yeah I remember that. Stupid bitch Dinich. I never said I liked her. And I didn't understand why, last year, when Duke won the Coastal I didn't see any articles like that about them. I mean of all teams to win the Coastal, Duke is the least likely to be taken seriously on a national level, in my opinion.

SimpleGT

Varsity Lurker
So when East Carolina destroys the Cheaters do they finally drop?

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
When is Va Tech gonna quit scheduling East Carolina? It literally does nothing for them and they've lost that game a few times.

odw

Jolly Good Fellow
If we're the 13th best team in the conference then the ACC is the best conference in the country. Just silly to have us that low. We'll win ~8 games per usual and finish around 5th in the league.

This. Nothing to see here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Andrea Adelson is a moron. Chokies actually lose their game to their patsy and they are still ranked 5th? Sure they beat Ohio St but consistency has to count for something.

Anyway, doesn't matter. When we start knocking off one conference opponent after another we'll get some love.

You might not want to call someone a moron and refer to ECU as a patsy in consecutive sentences. Unless you're going for irony.

That said, here is my favorite part of that article:

BC pulled off its first win over a ranked opponent since 2004, running up, down and all around No. 9 USC 37-31.
First comment:

"BC pulled off its first win over a ranked opponent since 2004" BC has 8 wins over ranked opponents since 2006 (Clemson, VT, MD in 06, GT, VT, Clemson in 07, VT and FSU in 08).

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I'm fine with being behind most of those teams in the all-important ESPN ACC Power Rankings right now. Being behind Syracuse and NC State is laughable, though. NC State hasn't started off any better than we have, also got lucky to beat GaSo, and has a much worse track record than we do of late. Meanwhile, Syracuse needed OT to beat an FCS school (and we beat them 56-0 last year).

On the plus side, we're unlikely to fall any this week, regardless of the outcome of the game.

AlabamaBuzz

Dodd-Like
ECU would most likely beat us right now...they have a big strong, reasonably fast D, and a good QB with some WR weapons.

AlabamaBuzz

Dodd-Like
I am amazed at the amount of "golden glasses" that so many see our team with. It is almost like if you are realistic, you are a bad fan.

I love my team, but we have a major dearth of talent right now, especially on the D line, which is a CRITICAL part of being good.

I believe with our offense, if we had ECU's defense, for example, we would be a 10+ win team, but we do not.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Author left out "top ten ranked." Let's crucify her.

That's not a small difference. Just generally indicative of the quality of journalism you get in these blogs. Don't know if that counts as crucifixion in your book or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
My guess is that we beat 5 of the opponents ranked ahead of us to finish 5-3 in conference.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
ECU would most likely beat us right now...they have a big strong, reasonably fast D, and a good QB with some WR weapons.
I can't really argue with that. I watched their win over VT, and ECU squandered 3 scoring opportunities inside the VT 25 in the second quarter: one failed 4th-and-2, one fumble, and one missed FG. If they had capitalized on those, it would have been a real blowout by halftime. The week before, in their 10-pt loss to USCe, they had more yds of offense, and it was a one possession game until 1:30 left in the game.