ACC Success Initiative

GTFLETCH

Dodd-Like

How it works​

The ACC’s model centers around the expanded 12-team College Football Playoff. Teams could earn $4 million for an appearance, another $4 million for reaching the second round, $6 million for the semifinals and $6 million for the title game — a total of $20 million.

Teams also can earn success money by finishing in the top 25 of the CFP rankings and reaching a bowl game. And football money is positioned to climb. “That grows as we go forward because those other numbers grow, and the CFP dollars grow,” ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips said.

The plan also includes existing revenue distributions for success in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament, all the way to the Final Four. The NCAA is moving closer to implementing units for the women’s tournament, which would eventually be included in ACC’s success initiative.

Those are all in addition to league payouts tied to the league’s TV deal with ESPN.

The Success Initiative money is money that would otherwise be divvied up among ACC schools. So, perversely, if you're an ACC school that doesn't make the Playoff, you may want other ACC schools not to either, because it means more money for you.

In the long term, this system should mean the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

The Success Initiative money is money that would otherwise be divvied up among ACC schools. So, perversely, if you're an ACC school that doesn't make the Playoff, you may want other ACC schools not to either, because it means more money for you.

In the long term, this system should mean the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
I like the model. It will help us get rich and stay rich after this year. I’d hate to think a school like FSU would be profiting off of our success.

I don't mind a system where there is a strong monetary incentive to commit to winning and perform well.

Sure, if you never win the conference or manage to make the playoffs as an at-large, you're not going to be rewarded as handsomly as those that do -- but isn't that the way it should be?

Also, in my experience, money tends to be a great motivator and everyone raises their level of performance once it's on the line. There's a reason pretty much every successful economy on Earth has a system where success is rewarded with money. Of course it can't be fully and only based on that, especially in a sports league, but I like that it's a large component.

So could we tell our players that 10% of it will be split equitably between team members based on a set of metrics?

So could we tell our players that 10% of it will be split equitably between team members based on a set of metrics?

Like...contract incentives and playoff bonuses? CFB is speedrunning the past 100 years of professional sports development.

Like...contract incentives and playoff bonuses? CFB is speedrunning the past 100 years of professional sports development.
I'm sure some players are gonna be like "hey, I played this game. Bonus time!"

I'm sure some players are gonna be like "hey, I played this game. Bonus time!"

For sure. The end game of this simply has to be upfront, multi-year contracts like every other pro sport has. This middle ground is just too bad in too many ways.

I don't mind a system where there is a strong monetary incentive to commit to winning and perform well.

Sure, if you never win the conference or manage to make the playoffs as an at-large, you're not going to be rewarded as handsomly as those that do -- but isn't that the way it should be?

Also, in my experience, money tends to be a great motivator and everyone raises their level of performance once it's on the line. There's a reason pretty much every successful economy on Earth has a system where success is rewarded with money. Of course it can't be fully and only based on that, especially in a sports league, but I like that it's a large component.
I'm fine with the capitalist incentives. But a bit concerned with the positive and negative feedback loops (rich get richer, poor get poorer). In the NFL if your team is the worst you get first draft pick next season. Conversely, in this model if you underperform you get less money and hence worse recruits. In the new hyper-monetized college football maybe that's a problem.

Is there nothing for ACCCG / ACC Champ? I guess ACC Champ gets the auto if and autobids get a bye so that would be $8M for getting to the second round?

I wonder how this will affect the scheduling model moving forward (if at all). I feel like this the current model is unsustainable with this many teams. There will be far too much volatility in relative strength of schedules from team to team year to year. And that’s gonna start to be a point of contention if $8M is on the line.

Like we could beat Cuse on the road and still finish 6-2 with our brutal conference schedule. And they could be clearly worse than us and still finish 7-1 with their cake conference schedule.

Is there nothing for ACCCG / ACC Champ? I guess ACC Champ gets the auto if and autobids get a bye so that would be $8M for getting to the second round?

I wonder how this will affect the scheduling model moving forward (if at all). I feel like this the current model is unsustainable with this many teams. There will be far too much volatility in relative strength of schedules from team to team year to year. And that’s gonna start to be a point of contention if $8M is on the line.

Like we could beat Cuse on the road and still finish 6-2 with our brutal conference schedule. And they could be clearly worse than us and still finish 7-1 with their cake conference schedule.

But it will all even out over the next 50 years ... :rollseyes:

I'm fine with the capitalist incentives. But a bit concerned with the positive and negative feedback loops (rich get richer, poor get poorer). In the NFL if your team is the worst you get first draft pick next season. Conversely, in this model if you underperform you get less money and hence worse recruits. In the new hyper-monetized college football maybe that's a problem.
Just another step towards a pro-style league of 30 or so college teams.

Back