According to Insiders, Johnson has named

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
UGA as his leader and we haven't offered. The Hill is going to run out program in the ground, regardless of who our coach is.

Who makes up the Hill and where can I complain? As a alumni in ME; our freakin reputation and degree won't be degraded b/c a few athletes get an opportunity to play here and go to a good school. I am willing to let a kid in with a good gpa and a 900 SAT to play football. He represents our school and makes our school money. Especially if he is a local player. This is absurd. Who the hell does GT think they are sometime??? Fact is you just can't have the best of both worlds.

I think you mean Jarvis Jackson the linebacker. There are some rumors the hill is squeezing Johnson the cornerback. However, Johnson doesn't have UGA in his top 5 and I think he is more likely to go to Mississippi State. The administration needs to stop acting like Tech is Stanford. Tech is a public school. We should be giving the benefit of the doubt to kids who are 3 miles from campus.

Tech is between a rock and a hard place. To meet the coming NCAA guidelines for progress toward a degree and graduation rate we needs kids who can do the work at Tech and graduate in five years. To compete year in and year out with Auburn, UGAG, etc we need a major that kids with 900 SAT'S can graduate in five years in. No matter what the engineers on the board say, Management is not that major. For UGAG to be on a level playing field with GT, 90% of their student athletes would have to be pursueing degrees in the Terry College of Business. Take a look at their roster, the number of student athletes enrolled in the Terry College of Business is roughly equivalent to the number of student athletes at GT enrolled in Engineering. With a few exceptions our "easiest major", management, is for all practical purposes equivalent to the hardest major that UGA's student athletes enroll in.

Actually that does not mean UGAG is his leader. If UGAG was his leader it would say UGA leads Indiana, etc. Additionally, according to rivals and Borderwars, Johnson has no visit scheduled with UGA at this time. Keep in mind the guy who puts this together is Mark Slachbach, the UGAG beat writer

83 - What is our sol'n here - obviously, we aren't going to be adding a school of criminal justice or education any time soon.

I, for one, firmly beleive it can be done. There are enough kids out there - we just have to beat ND, Stan, and grab the ones who can compete both on the field and in the classroom.

Is it easy - heck, no - is it very hard - perhaps. But it is the situation if you wish to coach at Georgia Tech.

Perhaps for GT to be successful, we need the best recruiters, and the best coaches avail. The that's what we need - we have enough $$ - we should be putting our money where our mouth is - open the checkbook, and say "You have the hardest job in the country (also perhaps one of the most satisfying, loyal, and rewarding) - we will make you and your staff top paid. But you will get it done."

I, for one, believe it can be done.

Otherwise, lets shut it down, and go to the Atlantic 10 or the Big East as a bball only school.

TIAR,B

I think it can be done but, you are right about having to spend more $$S on caoches. You need guys here like Norm Chow. O'Leary once said that if you coach at GT you have to work twice as hard as at many schools. That said I had heard that Braine and Clough were exploring expanding the curriculum a bit to make it easier on the coaches without sacrificing the academic integrity of the school. I heard this third hand so I have no whether it is valid or not

TIAR, I think you are being unrealistic. The last time ND won a national championship they started a prop 48 kid named Tony Rice. After that happened some ND people were embarrassed by that and ND tightened the academic requirements. Notre Dame hasn't come close to a national championship since 1993. Even with the success he had Stanford, Tyrone Willingham won only about 54% of his games at Stanford. Tech has a second problem in that its cirriculum is narrower than Stanford's or Notre Dame. That may have hurt in the Danahy situation. We shouldn't be raising the academic standards because some schools are getting high graduation rates with Fitness Management majors. As far as the new NCAA requirements are concerned, we shouldn't be basing admission standards on what might happen. Gailey should be given the benefit of the doubt. If there are issues in the future, they can be addressed at that time.

Originally posted by 3518techie:
Tech has a second problem in that its cirriculum is narrower than Stanford's or Notre Dame.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bingo! That's our problem; a far greater one than high admission standards.

Back in the late 60s or early 70s when the GT administration was discussing whether to phase out atheletics or keep them, I suggested a co-op degree with Georgia State University and possibly other Atlanta Universites that would allow GT to offer a degree in anything I have seen posted that caused atheletes to go to other schools. This would not make a GT degree of less value, but would open up GT to atheletes interested in fields other than engineering. I have heard that this is done at other schools. Has anyone of knowledge in this area looked into this?

For the record, Dave Braine has said time and again that GT is the toughest school to recruit for in D1A football. He made that clear to Gailey which is why CG wanted to know if Tech had the "resources" to win a championship. In other words, will we spend the $$ to recruit nationally and really go after the kids who can hack it academically.

I agree with many posters that Tech needs a "sports major." At Duke it's Sociology, which looks fine on a degree, but they custom-tailor the curriculum for the athletes. Do you really think Jay Williams could have graduated in 3 years if it was a regular Duke major? It's not out of the realm of possibility that Tech can add a major to the Ivan Allen liberal arts college for "Cultural Studies" or something like that that would have a less difficult course load. We wouldn't preclude other students from taking the major, but the athletes would have a less rigorous curriculum possibly tailored to things they might be interested in like television media, broadcasting, popular culture, etc. Just a thought.

I disagree with those who say that GT is 'the' toughest or the top 2 or 3 tougest schools in which to recruit/win. If that we the case then there would be no way that we would have the overall records that we do. We have a lot going for us also including being in a BCS conference (any school that isn't in a BCS conference is in a much worse situation than GT), a rich tradition, and being a state school in one of the most talent rich states (top 5/6). My concern is that the Hill is trying to make this one of the toughest places to coach with unreasonable admision standards. I also think Gailey is making a mistake by not focusing more on GA. There is no way that it should be easier to get kids from Arlington TX than it is from Rome GA.

I think Gailey's getting a bit of a bum rap about recruitng in GA. If he can't get a 4 star cornerback from the city of Atlanta admitted, I'm not sure he could get Heard, Graydon, or Daniels in school as well. There have been a couple of cases where Gailey should have been more aggressive with Ga players (Deante Battle for example). However, it's coming down to marginal D1 prospects from Georgia versus marginal D1 prospects from Texas. Unless some big money types who are contributing to both the AA and the school put the squeeze on the Hill, we'll be in the cellar with Duke.

Wait a minute Dukes on the rise. Techie you did make some good points and yes somebody better wake up or that new expanded stadium will be a disaster. I look for Auburn to sit in that stadium of ours around 30 thousand fans!!!!!! I truly believe the team can win 6 or 7 games next year, but if this administration is serious about putting the clamps down on who we can and can't offer things will get bad real fast. Nobody could blame Chan in all fairness, because it will be an impossible situation! This rec. class so far looks good, but if we have to offer to some of the names that are being banded about our talent level will have a huge drop off. If we can close Scott then would show me that Chan is truly a great recuiter. We also need him because that signing would show other recruits that despite what the hill does we can still be pretty good. If Scott doesn't come or 1 or 2 decommit and we have to take our 3rds then we will dwell on the bottem of whatever rankings you want use. THIS PERIOD RIGHT HERE AND NOW IMO IS THE MOST IMPORTANT TIME IN TECHS FOOTBALL HISTORY!!!!!!!

Back