Adding Miami is a good thing?

Ok guys lets quit whining. Will we win against the likes of Miami? Sure we will! It may take time to rebuild Tech to the glory years of yesterday but it can and will happen again. Some of you go back and study Tech's football history. We had bad years under Alexander. We had some under Curry, B(S)L, et al. We came back to win and win big. It'll happen again. I for one long to see the Miami's in BDS on a regular basis. We have smart players, Miami has smart players as does the rest of the conference, we will need to recruit blue chippers, they are out there, and have the neccessary tools in the class room as well as on the field. So quit bemoaning the Miami's coming into the conference instead feel sorry for the Dukes, WF and others who do not have the power tradition of a Tech.

Until then TO HELL WITH GEORGIA

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
Ok guys lets quit whining. Will we win against the likes of Miami. Sure we will! It may take time to rebuild Tech to the glory years of yesterday but it can and will happen again. Some of you go back and study Tech's football history. We had some bad years under Alexander. We had some under Curry, B(S)L, et al. We came back to win and win big. It'll happen again. I for one longs to see the Miami's in BDS on a regular basis. We have smart players, Miami has smart players as does the rest of the conference, we will need to recruit some few blue chippers and they are out there who have the neccessary tools in the class room as well as on the field. So quit bemoaning the Miami's coming into the conference instead feel sorry for the Dukes, WF and others who do not have the power tradition of a Tech.

Until then TO HELL WITH GEORGIA
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Oldfoggy,

Just goes to show you don't have to be young to be a dreamer. Throwing logic out the window THWG,FSU and Miami!

I remember my dad just prior to his passing (he was the biggest Tech fan I ever saw) saying that he would not live to see Tech return to the glory days of years gone by. He was right he didn't live to see it but 4 yes 4 years later Tech stood at the penicle(sp) of the football world. It happened and it will happen again. The only thing is Tech will need the right combination of coaches, facilities, and player. But most important may be the complete support of the students, profs, and the institution itself.

'71, ok I'll bite... we have never beaten fsu since they joined the conference, but I can tell you that we coulda, shoulda, woulda over the last several years.
Now, I am not big on moral victories and these weren't except for Joe's highlight reel game down there. The point is, with all of their indoor scuba diving majors, we do compete with them and the reasons we have lost all the recent close ones to them has had nothing to do with academics.

On the other hand, I want to see the curriculum at Tech to stay in step with the world today. That does not mean adding a cake major expressly for athletes. What I do mean is to look at possibly adding a worthwhile alternative in the school of management that is lighter on calculus than IM, or doing something with political science. I know that my route would have been the latter if it was available. This would immediately broaden the curriculum at Tech, and our academic integrity would not be damaged.

That's what I am pulling for, but until that day we have to continue to play the hand we are dealt, which is to continue to seek out the athletically and tecnically gifted SA's from across the country, coach them up and win with them.

Originally posted by luckyjacket:
'71, ok I'll bite... we have never beaten fsu since they joined the conference, but I can tell you that we coulda, shoulda, woulda over the last several years.
Now, I am not big on moral victories and these weren't except for Joe's highlight reel game down there. The point is, with all of their indoor scuba diving majors, we do compete with them and the reasons we have lost all the recent close ones to them has had nothing to do with academics.

On the other hand, I want to see the curriculum at Tech to stay in step with the world today. That does not mean adding a cake major expressly for athletes. What I do mean is to look at possibly adding a worthwhile alternative in the school of management that is lighter on calculus than IM, or doing something with political science. I know that my route would have been the latter if it was available. This would immediately broaden the curriculum at Tech, and our academic integrity would not be damaged.

That's what I am pulling for, but until that day we have to continue to play the hand we are dealt, which is to continue to seek out the athletically and tecnically gifted SA's from across the country, coach them up and win with them.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">luckyjacket,

I do believe, like Ahsoisee, our academic standards and values should drive the curriculum, not the needs of our football program.

Having said that, I agree with most of your posting. I hope Dr. Clough and company will position Tech, in or out of the ACC, with schools that share our academic standards and core values (not FSU). Then our fine young men will be competitive year in and year out, not just once every 50 years.

luckyjacket, I believe you are right on about making our curricula current yet legit. As for 1990 & even 2000, read my posts above about several of the real difference makers on those teams having very little chance to be accepted by The Hill in this past year's class. Another brick has been placed under the wrong side of the already unlevel playing field. Concerning being competitive with fsu...not even close. Instead of our good efforts against them, look at common opponets during the same decade...embarrassing.

oldfoggy, first of all...God Bless your dad. Now as for telling it like "IT IS" IMO, 71 has it nailed in his post about the 3 things a program must have to win CONSISTENTLY. This is patently obvious and has nothing to do with whining or making excuses or fearing FAIR competition. Yes we do occasionally break out and have a good season as in '90 & '98, but surely our collective expectation of excellence exceeds this phenom. Actually I'm not sure it does, and it has me concerned about a future with ugag,fsu,Miami,& VT. THWG

First and foremost, Your reading skills are a little off. The handle is clearly Thomsonjacket, not Thompsonjacket.
mad.gif

71BEE, since you feel the need to educate us poorly educated sidewalk fans with your aboundance of knowledge, explain to us how it is that we compete with these so called football academically driven schools every year? How on earth did we win 20 bowlgames? How did we ever win a MNC in 1990 much less 3 before? How did we beat Ugag three years in a row just 2 years removed? Basically what you are says is that smart kids who decide to play football,cannot match up with kids who are not as smart. Whatever,the desire to win and be the best at what you do has nothing to do with where you go to school! Further more, how does lowering the competition level help the football program?
Thats like saying, well we can't compete with MIT on Bioengineering so lets not do it! Would you have the school not compete academically with the best in the nation? Samething applies with sports, and if my attitude is too positive to ya, bite me!
So no, I don't buy that lame ass excuse we can't compete with them 'cause we have to recruit smart kids!
drinking.gif

Originally posted by Thomsonjacket:
First and foremost, Your reading skills are a little off. The handle is clearly Thomsonjacket, not Thompsonjacket.
mad.gif

71BEE, since you feel the need to educate us poorly educated sidewalk fans with your aboundance of knowledge, explain to us how it is that we compete with these so called football academically driven schools every year? How on earth did we win 20 bowlgames? How did we ever win a MNC in 1990 much less 3 before? How did we beat Ugag three years in a row just 2 years removed? Basically what you are says is that smart kids who decide to play football,cannot match up with kids who are not as smart. Whatever,the desire to win and be the best at what you do has nothing to do with where you go to school! Further more, how does lowering the competition level help the football program?
Thats like saying, well we can't compete with MIT on Bioengineering so lets not do it! Would you have the school not compete academically with the best in the nation? Samething applies with sports, and if my attitude is too positive to ya, bite me!
So no, I don't buy that lame ass excuse we can't compete with them 'cause we have to recruit smart kids!
drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thomsonjacket,

My apologies on the misspelling of your handle. It was inadvertent. Now in reply to the content of you message:

Got me there! Hard to refute your arguments when they are based on facts and presented in such a logical, articulate manner. Any further reply would be wasted on my part.

Perhaps someone better than I will rise to the occasion.

Thompson Jacket, I like your sig and completely agree about the value of the positive attitude. I find it works best when coupled with a good dose of reality. Without the reality it doesn't add up to much...kinda like Baghdad Bob's reports.

I think 71 gave u a fair explanation about the pool from which athletes/dates are drawn and it didn't seem to me he was lecturing.

As for some of our past "occassional" glories, read my posts above about the players we did it with vs. those now "allowed" in by The Hill. Just go to the Recruiting Database and check the SATs/ACTs from '98-"00 vs. those from this past class. Does it mean they can't play? Of course not. Does it mean we are drawing from a smaller pool...yep. People talk about us NOW going national in recruiting like it is a new concept at GT...baloney.

As for taking on MIT academically...sure because their students ARE allowed to come to GT, but MANY of ugag's/Auburn's/fsu's football players are NOT. Does Thompson schedule Parkview? Why? Revisit 71's stat post. THWG

Thomsonjacket...sorry too about the handle, my bad.THWG

Back